WFAA moves back to Young Street studio...

MarkBRollins88_v2

Not all of the evening newscasts will be done at Young Street only Good Morning Texas, the 5, the Update and Weekend Newscasts will be done at Young Street, the rest will be done at Victory Park

Still a stupid idea in my opinion. Hence why WFAA makes all efforts to do Victory Park newscast.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WFAA has, when it can, all newscast out of Victory Park. Why would they want all their evening newscast at their old studios? That makes no sense.

Why? Because when big events happen at the American Airlines Center (games, concerts, etc.), WFAA has been one to have anchors/meteorologists out on the plaza for live shots. What other station in DFW can do that?

As for the Dallas development discussion, don’t forget WFAA’s old neighbor The Dallas Morning News sold its old building on Young Street. That is being redeveloped. I cannot recall if that area is still going to be the new bullet train station (Dallas to Houston) or not.

I tend to agree. I think when the Victory Park Studio first opened, and they only did morning newscasts there, they didn't realize the crowds from events at the AAC enjoyed the novelty of watching a newscast after an event until they started doing select evening newscasts from Victory.

The only benefit of redoing the Young Street studio I can see is if they built a set specifically designed for Good Morning Texas. However, the caveat for that would mean that GMT wouldn't be able to utilize the plaza, where they like to have choirs and bands and the like perform on air.

Also, I'm pretty sure there are several unused studios in the Young Street Building. When that building was originally built, it housed several studios where several syndicated shows were filmed. It was more than just WFAA. I know they have at least one extra studio that they use there to record promos and I think they're also currently using it as a GMT temp set for performers.

Also, the DMN/WFAA site will not be the bullet train station. They decided to put the station where the Sportatorium used to be on Cadiz Street. But that DMN building can't be repurposed as-is, IMO. It'll probably be razed and redeveloped, and I could see a developer luring WFAA in on a deal to redevelop both sites when the opportunity arises. It could be that when the sites are redeveloped, WFAA stays there, but in a new building on the same site. Possibly occupying several floors of a new building. But as for the current two-story WFAA building that's there, I can't see it staying for much longer. That land is asking for a high-rise or office complex to built. Or something. But that land isn't currently being used optimally.

I get the feeling the reason shows have been moving to Victory is because it had a nicer set. The one at the station hasn't aged particularly well. I could see them updating Victory now, and then once all the shows can move back there, building a new set at the station for the evening shows. Which I would guess wouldn't happen until November sweeps.

I don't know though. Most shows have originated from victory for quite a while now, probably the past 6 or 7 years in my estimation. And if I'm being honest, I think the Young Street studio has aged quite well except for the weather center.

Still a stupid idea in my opinion. Hence why WFAA makes all efforts to do Victory Park newscast.

Also given that TEGNA is a cut rate operator and given the potential redevelopment around where the Young Street area, it may be best served if WFAA did all of their newscasts at Victory Park like they did before, still we'll see what WFAA/TEGNA has plans for the Young Street Studio

Im starting to get some WLS vibes out of this. could just be the building.

WLS’s studio is on a busy, historical, touristy street. WFAA’s studio is in a plaza. The latter makes good use of the space they have for outdoor demos than the former, though.

As for the Dallas development discussion, don’t forget WFAA’s old neighbor The Dallas Morning News sold its old building on Young Street. That is being redeveloped. I cannot recall if that area is still going to be the new bullet train station (Dallas to Houston) or not.

The DMN moved out, but has not yet sold the old building. The high-speed rail station's latest plan is that it will go in south of I-30. There is the possibility that the DMN's old complex has been marketed as an option for Amazon if it decides on downtown Dallas for a second HQ. If that happened, then Tegna selling WFAA's Young St. spot to Amazon would give them more space, but I've heard nothing about Young St. being spun off in favor of only having Victory. Tegna would have to find more space at Victory (which I don't think there is at the moment) if that were to happen.

The DMN moved out, but has not yet sold the old building. The high-speed rail station's latest plan is that it will go in south of I-30. There is the possibility that the DMN's old complex has been marketed as an option for Amazon if it decides on downtown Dallas for a second HQ. If that happened, then Tegna selling WFAA's Young St. spot to Amazon would give them more space, but I've heard nothing about Young St. being spun off in favor of only having Victory. Tegna would have to find more space at Victory (which I don't think there is at the moment) if that were to happen.

What about the old TXCN facility? I've read it used to be a warehouse that was used by WFAA and the DMN before TXCN-- what did they do with it after TXCN was reduced to replaying Belo stations' newscasts?

What about the old TXCN facility? I've read it used to be a warehouse that was used by WFAA and the DMN before TXCN-- what did they do with it after TXCN was reduced to replaying Belo stations' newscasts?

It's still there but I don't know if they're using it for anything now or not. It might have been put to use when they were trying to help transition KHOU after Harvey, but I'm not sure about that. The last time I saw the TXCN part of the complex, it was after they had pulled the plug, but yet they hadn't taken the TXCN logo sign off the building for some reason. I don't know if it's gone now or not.

Another thing WFAA has done recently (I don't know exactly when) is donate much of their old film archive to SMU. Some reports have already been digitized and posted online. I don't know if this was something Tegna got them to do, or they did it on their own, like what KXAS is doing with University of North Texas.

Another thing WFAA has done recently (I don't know exactly when) is donate much of their old film archive to SMU. Some reports have already been digitized and posted online. I don't know if this was something Tegna got them to do, or they did it on their own, like what KXAS is doing with University of North Texas.

Donating your archive is a cheap way to get it digitized. Allow it to be used for research purposes, license anything commercial, and the station retains use.

It's just kind-of there. I don't think much is done with it. I've been in there and there's just a bunch of empty studios.

WLS’s studio is on a busy, historical, touristy street. WFAA’s studio is in a plaza. The latter makes good use of the space they have for outdoor demos than the former, though.

I looked up the building itself. forgot it was attached to AA Center.

I recall hearing that all the cameras were sent down over fiber at some point. It's essentially a remote studio with some workspace for talent. I doubt any reporters have their desk there.

Worth updating this. I was reading some old articles through my library database. It was sold that the 5000 sq ft for the studio with office space housing them, other business functions and some newspaper space for Dallas Morning News. But that could’ve changed when Belo was bought by Gannett and they split up.

It's just kind-of there. I don't think much is done with it. I've been in there and there's just a bunch of empty studios.

Wow, that's just a waste. They have all this empty studio space and they're just letting it rot. You'd think they could lease it out to independent producers or something.

It’s the TXCN facility in the Young ST studios or nearby?

If it’s a seperate building they could lease space out to filmmakers if it’s large enough.

Worth updating this. I was reading some old articles through my library database. It was sold that the 5000 sq ft for the studio with office space housing them, other business functions and some newspaper space for Dallas Morning News. But that could’ve changed when Belo was bought by Gannett and they split up.

My guess would be "other business functions" is space for sales staff to schmooze with clients before/after heading over to the American Airlines center for a game or event.

If it’s a seperate building they could lease space out to filmmakers if it’s large enough.

It's the building between the old Morning News building and the parking ramp behind it.

It's connected to the DMN building, but they all share a parking lot (despite being, as the kids say, "Frenemies.")

Wow, that's just a waste. They have all this empty studio space and they're just letting it rot. You'd think they could lease it out to independent producers or something.

They still might rent it out, but at the time I was there, none were in use. I was there for a function hosted by the Dallas Morning News that could have just as easily been held in any generic meeting room or banquet hall. Instead, they did it in an empty TXCN studio. The studio still had curtains and some very basic lighting. Any remnants of a set were gone though. I remember there is a window that looks into the studio from an upper floor. Couldn't see through the window to see if whatever is behind it is still in use.

My guess would be "other business functions" is space for sales staff to schmooze with clients before/after heading over to the American Airlines center for a game or event.

It's the building between the old Morning News building and the parking ramp behind it.

I know they had some limited office space directly behind the glass that was behind the anchor desk. It was part of the set in the sense that you could see through the glass behind the anchor to see who was working in there, and there was wallpaper that matched the blue and orange pattern on the set. Off of that office area is a glassed in room that i think they use as a green room for guests.

I never knew DMN had office space there! I'll bet since they split with WFAA, they probably lost that space, or voluntarily gave it up (unless they signed a prenup?). Or they just pretend the other doesn't exist, like they did on Young Street!

Archived