2018 NY Emmy Awards

NowBergen

WNYW also got two Emmys, but poor WABC...so much for being the #1 local news outlet in not just New York, but the country as well.

(On the sports channels side, MSG Network walked away with seven, followed by SNY (6) and YES Network (4))

Perhaps WABC wasn't too interested in paying for such "honors." In the 90's, their Chicago sister dominated the ratings and put out the most well-rounded product, easily the best in town, but management didn't want to foot the bill. Were they still the best news operation in town? Yes.

Disappointed, maybe, but I doubt many are losing sleep at WABC.

WNYW also got two Emmys, but poor WABC...so much for having the #1 local news outlet in not just New York, but the country as well.

(On the sports channels side, MSG Network walked away with seven, followed by SNY (6) and YES Network (4))

Did WABC even enter any stories?

No ND around...and a couple hundred $$ a pop for entries can add up.

It's pay to play.

Ok and what awards aren’t pay to play. They all are. Aside from that WNBC’s 11pm newscast IS the best in NYC.

Ok you are correct...

Congratulations to the winners...they all worked hard and it always feels good to be honored by your peers.

Keep kickin ass.

Ok and what awards aren’t pay to play. They all are. Aside from that WNBC’s 11pm newscast IS the best in NYC.

Ok you are correct...

Congratulations to the winners...they all worked hard and it always feels good to be honored by your peers.

Keep kickin ass.

It’s damn expensive. For Academy members its $125 per entry and non members is $250. Membership dues are a $126 per year.

I think WBFF here in Baltimore pays for entry therefore always have the most nominees and usually pick up a lot of awards. Baltimore and DC are in the large market category (DMA 1-49*) so they end up winning over the DC stations.

The National Capital Chesapeake Bay Chapter covers all of Maryland, DC and Virginia (which consequently includes a lot of federal entries) are more expensive. If you enter early it’s $110/$210, normal entry period $160/$260 and the late deadline $250/$350 all fees are member and non member, respectively. If you want to be entered for overall excellence it’s $350 and membership is $75/year. You can get a $25 credit if you judge.

But for all we know WNBC won on their own merit not because they nominated the most.

*Medium markets are DMA 50-99.

Edit: Yeah WNBC had the most nominations at 50. See the breakdown here.

You don't think the station pays for Emmy Award submissions?

Not always...

In smaller markets ( and still some large markets) the talent, producers and photogs pay for the entries because stations are too cheap.

The "ultimate f-u" is when you pay for your own entry...and you win...and the station makes a promo out of it and still won't reimburse you for the entry fees.

Weasels.

Yeah, honestly the presentation at WABC has been kinda stale and lackluster. Since they have no upper-management there and there are lot of changes happening in upper management is really no sense of individuality or originality at this point. They are just keeping the ship afloat and operating on auto-pilot, but honestly there is nothing compelling or new about them at this point. Maybe in the future when we see these new fresh faces and the supposed move to the to another location in NYC, we will see them reinvent and be more innovative. :). But by the looks of it, they are being safe for now with changes and are not really making any major changes or taking any risks to ruin what has worked for them for so long.

But awesome job to WNBC for getting recognized! I definitely feel like WNBC deserves it, they have a better quality broadcast and presentation. They've really also been making these bold changes like having Stefan Holt anchor the coveted 11PM broadcast to draw in a younger audience. Honestly when I watch WNBC, it feels very "New York". From the way they present the news, the music, the look. It feels like i'm in New York and it really fits the bill perfectly and vibe of our city. They always kinda did looking back, especially for the Holidays, boy are they festive! Haha. Which is why they are always my second choice for news. I wouldn't be surprised if WNBC ends up taking the Number 1 title away from WABC. I think their location in Rockefeller Center in the heart of the city really allows them to express themselves in a very NY way. :)

Yeah, honestly the presentation at WABC has been kinda stale and lackluster. Since they have no upper-management there and there are lot of changes happening in upper management is really no sense of individuality or originality at this point. They are just keeping the ship afloat and operating on auto-pilot, but honestly there is nothing compelling or new about them at this point. Maybe in the future when we see these new fresh faces and the supposed move to the to another location in NYC, we will see them reinvent and be more innovative. :). But by the looks of it, they are being safe for now with changes and are not really making any major changes or taking any risks to ruin what has worked for them for so long.

But awesome job to WNBC for getting recognized! I definitely feel like WNBC deserves it, they have a better quality broadcast and presentation. They've really also been making these bold changes like having Stefan Holt anchor the coveted 11PM broadcast to draw in a younger audience. Honestly when I watch WNBC, it feels very "New York". From the way they present the news, the music, the look. It feels like i'm in New York and it really fits the bill perfectly and vibe of our city. They always kinda did looking back, especially for the Holidays, boy are they festive! Haha. Which is why they are always my second choice for news. I wouldn't be surprised if WNBC ends up taking the Number 1 title away from WABC. I think their location in Rockefeller Center in the heart of the city really allows them to express themselves in a very NY way. :)

WABC will stay #1 forever unless they did a mass firing. They have the talent and personality that no one can touch.

Not always...

In smaller markets ( and still some large markets) the talent, producers and photogs pay for the entries because stations are too cheap.

The "ultimate f-u" is when you pay for your own entry...and you win...and the station makes a promo out of it and still won't reimburse you for the entry fees.

Weasels.

Oh, it happens in medium-sized markets too.

Perhaps WABC wasn't too interested in paying for such "honors." In the 90's, their Chicago sister dominated the ratings and put out the most well-rounded product, easily the best in town, but management didn't want to foot the bill. Were they still the best news operation in town? Yes.

Disappointed, maybe, but I doubt many are losing sleep at WABC.

Or maybe they realize Emmys are irrelevant. Clearly they have a good product and have for years.

Archived