MSNBC says goodbye to the ticker.

TheRolyPoly

Getting rid of it is an interesting move, and I understand their reasoning. Maybe it's just me, but often times I find myself paying more attention to the ticker than the actual story on screen. Like the article said, Fox News dayside apparently got rid of it years ago (I never noticed).

The bug needs some more tweaking done to it. It's gotten too crowded to a point where the logo might be feeling claustrophobic.

There's definitely a need for more padding. Shrink the MSNBC logo, especially during the trading day. The font size on the black part might be a tad large.

If they moved the logo more to the right and got rid of that useless dead space it would solve 95% of the problem. Shrink it some and extend the black bar down more and you get the other 5%.

Good on MSNBC and I hope CNN and Fox follow because this is addition by subtraction. I think that the tickers are a waste and the picture looks much better without it as opposed to with it.

Now with the logo bug, I think the time would look better next to the LIVE bug as opposed to squeezing it underneath the logo but having said that, I like the thought process behind it. So many of these kind of graphics on cable news are too big when they don't need to be (a key reason why I like the naming chyron graphics that Fox uses).

Keep the L3 clear...

Tickers, stocks and all that crap just degrade from the pictures.

How often do we see a good shot destroyed because of all the L3crap.

TV did just fine before all the graphic overloads, tickers and the other distraction.

Example: This week the Mountain View PD released bodycam video of the crazy youtube shooter encounter.

The MVPD captioned the video in the normal area...the lower 3rd!

Stupid TV stations couldn't figure out how to completely drop the L3 so we could see the captions....

Or those plane crashes where the amateur video guy has the plane crashing in the lower 3rd...so we never see the actual money shot.

All the crazy different graphics are real annoying for many of us.

#cleanthescreen

I say move the LIVE bug to sit completely on top of the white box, then re-center the MSNBC logo in the middle of that box, taking the new time/stock bug into account.

I like this idea, but I'll add one minor thing: Keep the black bar running the full width of that box, even when the stock bug isn't needed. Maybe even center the time bug, too.

I think this is a step in the right direction, but I agree with re-proportioning the live and time bars. A good reference point, I present Exhibit A on how it should be done:

693240039_bandicam2017-05-1716-34-29-394.thumb.png.fb5bdb78bffb2a6627c0df99bc2f0ba5.png

Another change to the bug this morning.

[GALLERY=media, 1067]MSNBC Bug by TampaBowler posted Apr 23, 2018 at 7:11 AM[/GALLERY]

I can understand that they clearly want to simplify the look as much as possible, but ...

I first noticed this last night at 10:30 during a live update in the middle of "Headliners" and assumed it was an error. (It still had the previous design at 9:30.)

I'm fine with the bug not being inside a box but it shouldn't look like a mistake the way the L3 just 1383289669_Screenshot(13399).thumb.png.7e22b4a58870cf14747b4f936f4fe5b5.png ends.

725655644_Screenshot(13440).thumb.png.a1f3bc186513f5ea70e79463d05c8ab4.png

1680491688_Screenshot(13446).thumb.png.b815926370747e288a0dbad2a461aa2c.png

I don't hate it because I am all for cleaner lower third designs, and it brings it further in line with the graphics seen on Nightly News and on the special reports which both have no background behind the logo. That said when the background is lighter, it can be a little difficult to read but having said that, I think the idea behind it is sound.

One thing lost in the updated bug is the show logo's animation when coming back from a break. (The bug would briefly display the show's logo before transitioning to the MSNBC logo.)

I really liked that about the previous bug. I thought it was a neat trick.

Archived