Sean Hannity anchors FOX News Special Report

ColDayNews

During a Fox News Special Report on tonight's strikes, a simulcast of FNC was run. As opposed to calling in Shepard Smith or even Bret Baier, Sean Hannity anchored the special report, with analysis from Trump advisor Dr. Sebastian Gorka. Laura Ingraham later took over coverage via a simulcast of The Ingraham Angle.

Fox News typically does not simulcast opinion programming on the broadcast network, and I get that this was unexpected... but the fact that Fox gave it to Sean Hannity baffles and stuns me.

Why not have Bret Baier on the broadcast network and Sean Hannity on FNC, keeping coverage separate? The last time I can recall opinion programming being simulcast between FNC and Fox broadcast was on April 19, 2013, during the Boston marathon manhunt.

SR continued 45 mins in with Hannity complaining about Mueller, Rosenstein, Comey, Horowitz, Obama, and John Kerry. Someone at Fox News should have ended it across the board after the President's remarks concluded, however, stations that opted to carry it were given the choice to leave after the President's remarks or to carry it all the way through.

The big problem was the first reports of the announcement were only ten minutes before, so they were working on the fly (I thought they were interrupting regarding Rosenstein at first). Still, don't understand why you don't have the hot cam anchor in the newsroom doing this rather than Hannity.

if you'll recall, fox broadcast did simulcast FNC's primetime lineup in the days immediately after 9/11 so there is precedent for opinion shows to go out over the broadcast network

But there was mostly news coverage during those hours, and with Fox's fall programming delayed like the other networks, it was a unique situation where something needed to fill the hours besides Mike Darnell reality stuff from the archives.

if you'll recall, fox broadcast did simulcast FNC's primetime lineup in the days immediately after 9/11 so there is precedent for opinion shows to go out over the broadcast network

Hannity & Colmes didn’t return until the 14th. The 9pm hour was anchored by Brit Hume.

As did WRLH. WTTG quickly flash cut from MasterChef Kids to Hannity in progress, a direct FNC simulcast.

If it was under 10 minutes notice, for starters I'm not sure how long the Fox News Deck/Shep's team is staffed.

I suspect he probably has his own crew on to work with him on standby and to do breaking news updates on FNC/Fox and may have gone home.

I'm surprised they don't have a fill-in news junior news presenter in the building 24/7/365, just in case. Someone from the news division that can fill a seat for a breaking news story until the senior news guys can get into the building.

Under no circumstances should Hannity or Gorka have EVER been involved in a news division presentation.... even if some apocalypse wiped out nearly everyone in the building, and they were the last two people left alive. They are commentators, not news presenters, and to allow them to act as news presenters further erodes the already paper-thin and swiss-cheesed "wall" dividing the news and commentary departments at FOX News.

I'm surprised they don't have a fill-in news junior news presenter in the building 24/7/365, just in case. Someone from the news division that can fill a seat for a breaking news story until the senior news guys can get into the building.

Under no circumstances should Hannity or Gorka have EVER been involved in a news division presentation.... even if some apocalypse wiped out nearly everyone in the building, and they were the last two people left alive. They are commentators, not news presenters, and to allow them to act as news presenters further erodes the already paper-thin and swiss-cheesed "wall" dividing the news and commentary departments at FOX News.

I wouldn’t have been opposed to a contributor such as Brit Hume anchoring from the DC bureau until they got Shep or someone from the news division in place.

I'm still surprised they didn't use Shannon Bream. Or hell, if push really came to shove, use someone from WNYW, WTTG, or KTTV? I know when Muhammad Ali passed away, Paul Magers did that SR.

I don't know how realistic it would be to use a FOX O&O anchor for SRs on fox broadcast or if their contract with the individual station even allows it

Agreed to the 10,000th power! That's why I have always strongly believed that Sean Hannity's show, among other commentary/opinion shows, should be/have been labeled as commentary/opinion, instead of simply having the FOX News bug in the bottom-left corner of the screen. Because it simply has that FOX News bug showing, and no comm/op label, it can fool people into thinking that Sean is actually reporting the news, when he's really commenting on it. I've fallen for it too with The Five; I knew they were really expressing opinions, but FOX News' lack of the comm/op label had me thinking they were really reporting the news, instead of commentating.

Agreed to the 10,000th power! That's why I have always strongly believed that Sean Hannity's show, among other commentary/opinion shows, should be/have been labeled as commentary/opinion, instead of simply having the FOX News bug in the bottom-left corner of the screen. Because it simply has that FOX News bug showing, and no comm/op label, it can fool people into thinking that Sean is actually reporting the news, when he's really commenting on it. I've fallen for it too with The Five; I knew they were really expressing opinions, but FOX News' lack of the comm/op label had me thinking they were really reporting the news, instead of commentating.

Two things just popped into my mind:

1) Are you saying you bought into propaganda anyways after you recognized it as such?

2) Do they really need labels? Is everybody so dumb that they can’t even think for themselves?

So are you going to ask NBC,CBS,ABC, CNN and the rest of the liberal DSM to label their "commentary"s also?

Maybe these should have had disclaimers for the last 30years...

The highly liberal networks won't mind FNC , OAN and Sinclair catching up on the political distortion and distraction game.

Keepin it real.

Don't feed the troll, folks.

Who's trolling?

I didn't think we allowed that kind of stuff here.

Calling someone a troll does not automatically shut down a discussion here.

Say your piece mre29

1) Are you saying you bought into propaganda anyways after you recognized it as such?

No, no-- I didn't actually fall for the propaganda; I just wondered why neither FOX nor MSNBC would make no effort to delineate the various parts of their schedule, and why news reporting and commentary and similar things could all be rolled into one.

No, no-- I didn't actually fall for the propaganda; I just wondered why neither FOX nor MSNBC would make no effort to delineate the various parts of their schedule, and why news reporting and commentary and similar things could all be rolled into one.

Because honesty isn’t the point. Getting an audience loyal enough to dance to images of sugar plum fairies and Sean Hannitys as the whole thing spins into a raging volcano... that’s the point. With an average viewing age of what? 72 or 73? At all the cablers now it’s not surprising you want an iron grip while these poor souls are still alive.... not much time to extract $.50 and some denture cream.

Because honesty isn’t the point. Getting an audience loyal enough to dance to images of sugar plum fairies and Sean Hannitys as the whole thing spins into a raging volcano... that’s the point. With an average viewing age of what? 72 or 73? At all the cablers now it’s not surprising you want an iron grip while these poor souls are still alive.... not much time to extract $.50 and some denture cream.

So, Friday night's extended simulcast was a marketing stunt?

Archived