CTV BC fires main anchors, part of station refresh

Journalist

Major news...

taggartkilleen.jpg?itok=elS7U7S5

"As part of what the station is calling "a top-to-tail refresh", CTV News at Six Vancouver co-anchors Mike Killeen and Tamara Taggart have been fired."

"After recent attention for some officially unexplained departures, and a $7.5-million lawsuit from ex-reporter Paul Bliss, the network simultaneously ditched both of its main anchors in Vancouver—a firing executed by a CTV news director with the actual name Les Staff."

Tamara Taggart and Mike Killeen have co-anchored CTV News at Six since 2011. "They replaced Pamela Martin and Bill Good, who announced in December 2010 that they would be leaving after almost a decade."

CTV News Vancouver is the second most watched news operation (avg. 100k) in the lower mainland, behind Global BC (avg. 200k) and ahead of CBC Vancouver. (avg. 16k)

Probably money? That's my guess. Whatever CTV was paying Tamara and Mike wasn't worth the ratings they were getting at 6:00.

Plus, it's not like CBC is coming up behind them to grab the #2 spot in ratings. The gap between CTV Vancouver and Global BC will certainly grow though.

I feel worse for Tamara because she's been there since Day 1 of CIVT. Literary. She was one of the last VTV originals.

Regardless of the varying opinions that people have of Tamara Taggart, she deserved a more gracious exit from that station after 21 years of employment.

I hope to see Mike Killeen on Global BC/BC1 or some other outlet. I thought he did a fine job at CTV.

Regardless of the varying opinions that people have of Tamara Taggart, she deserved a more gracious exit from that station after 21 years of employment.

I hope to see Mike Killeen on Global BC/BC1 or some other outlet. I thought he did a fine job at CTV.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tamara also ends up at Global or have both team up again to do the new CityNews Vancouver when it launches.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tamara also ends up at Global or have both team up again to do the new CityNews Vancouver when it launches.

Based on the Winnipeg and Edmonton shows, I doubt it.

They hire kids out of broadcasting school or local print as reporters and rotate one of them each night as the anchor.

A bonehead move by CTVBC. They should've had Mike with Coleen Christie. I loved the chemistry between Mike and Christine when they were anchoring CTV News at Noon. Tamara was bleh in my book and her departure was LONG overdue. Who are going to be the main team? It's a really sad thing. Bell Media is slowly dismantling CTV News. Sucks.

Archived