ABC sells NYC campus

Webovision

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Days of Our Lives continues to film at Burbank to this day.

Most of the cast from the 80s is still there (we have NBC on in our break room at work), and every time I walk in between 1&2pm, there's an old DOOL Actor/actress from 30+ years ago - STILL THERE...

They probably have no clue where else to go... Get up, drive to Burbank, film some idiotic plot, go home and do it all over again...

• 2 months later...

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t WABC over at Lincoln Square (where Live with Regis and Kelly used to be) and is unaffected by the ABC selling of NYC property?

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t WABC over at Lincoln Square (where Live with Regis and Kelly used to be) and is unaffected by the ABC selling of NYC property?

WABC and ABC News are in the same building complex (Columbus Ave & West 66th St., a.k.a. 7 Lincoln Square). They are not all in the same building, per se, but they are all in the same complex of buildings which are adjacent and connected to one another.

“Live” is still at WABC headquarters at 7 Lincoln Square. The “Lincoln Square” address is just a vanity address to promote that neighborhood. It’s just Columbus Avenue and 67th Street, connected to the rest of the ABC complex. Nobody in the city really refers to it as Lincoln Square these days.

I wonder if Disney will build another streetfront studio for WABC? Interesting that Good Morning America will remain in Times Square.

Times Square has become a signature piece of Good Morning America's DNA much like Today and the Plaza. Makes sense that they'd keep it there, especially since that's exactly how its been this entire time.

What doesn't make sense is how little they go outside of Times Square, it's the perfect location and they regulate everything to inside the studio.

Times Square has become a signature piece of Good Morning America's DNA much like Today and the Plaza. Makes sense that they'd keep it there, especially since that's exactly how its been this entire time.

What doesn't make sense is how little they go outside of Times Square, it's the perfect location and they regulate everything to inside the studio.

Because every time they step outside it's a security nightmare.

Those extra security expenses add up real quick.

“Live” is still at WABC headquarters at 7 Lincoln Square. The “Lincoln Square” address is just a vanity address to promote that neighborhood. It’s just Columbus Avenue and 67th Street, connected to the rest of the ABC complex. Nobody in the city really refers to it as Lincoln Square these days.

I wonder if Disney will build another streetfront studio for WABC? Interesting that Good Morning America will remain in Times Square.

WABC's studio was actually a Disney store. Moving it there (same building as the old shared studio with "Live with Kelly and Whoever" solved many issues. All will move downtown with their own studios. ABC will be abandoning the current complex of buildings including the Live/Eyewitness News studios - all slated for redevelopment.

I agree that Times Square is supposed

to be a signature part of Good Morning America but, in reality, it isn’t except for the few seconds you see of it in the opening each morning and the outdoor segments they sometimes do. I’m curious if ABC is just saying Good Morning America will remain there while they secretly explore other options to move it to Hudson Square or close to it.

Logistically, it doesn’t make sense to have the show even further away from news operations headquarters and in such a tight area with limited flexibility.

For NBC, the plaza is actually utitlized frequenetly and it makes more sense — it’s right across the street from NBC News headquarters.

Isn’t it a nightmare already. They have to have permits, fencing, security on hand for the crowd to be there along with setting up barriers and the cameras.

For NBC, the plaza is actually utitlized frequenetly and it makes more sense — it’s right across the street from NBC News headquarters.

And connected via the underground concourse. Plus the control room for NN is there.

Logistically, it doesn’t make sense to have the show even further away from news operations headquarters and in such a tight area with limited flexibility.

If you look at the blue prints for renting the studio space it is a very small area. It wouldn’t surprise me if half the production staff was back at the HQ.

I'm pretty sure once the old NY lots is sold, Pyramid and Match Game will both move to LA. Of course, then they'd have to get new hosts, unless Strahan and Baldwin are up for taking flights to and from there.

I'm pretty sure once the old NY lots is sold, Pyramid and Match Game will both move to LA. Of course, then they'd have to get new hosts, unless Strahan and Baldwin are up for taking flights to and from there.

Or, they could just find other studio space, like Kaufman Astoria in Queens (where they taped the 2009 Million-Dollar Pyramid pilots for CBS that weren't picked up).

I agree that Times Square is supposed

to be a signature part of Good Morning America but, in reality, it isn’t except for the few seconds you see of it in the opening each morning and the outdoor segments they sometimes do. I’m curious if ABC is just saying Good Morning America will remain there while they secretly explore other options to move it to Hudson Square or close to it.

If they wanted to go down a route to bring GMA into the ABC News footprint, they can always move any editorial staff/back-office functions to the new facility.

ESPN's NYC studio for Get Up! + NBA Coverage doesn't have a control room on-site (Bristol + LA, respectively) - they could always fibre the GMA studio cameras to 4 Hudson Square and leave the site as a pure remote studio with a good amount of cameras outputs and drops if they really wanted and permit select staff and talent work exclusively out of Times Square.

Does anybody really think these shows will still be around in five years?

Yes, because they're damn good revivals, and the ratings show it.

The ABC version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire was also a hit and it went off the air after three years. Point is there is no way of knowing 5 years from now if they are still hits.

Archived