ABC sells NYC campus

Webovision

https://commercialobserver.com/2018/04/silverstein-abc-upper-west-side-campus-sale/

the mouse has sold off ABC's property in NYC to fund the 21st Century Fox purchase...

yous all ask why abc isn't buying stations while their corporate overlord sells off their property to buy a movie studio...

no mention on whether or not the property will be redeveloped... or whether regis philbin comes with the building...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This only proves that ABC is vastly undervalued by Disney. They haven't really invested a lot recently, they've only been taking away to fund other endeavours.

I'm presuming that the new owners will lease back the property to ABC at a decent rate. NBC did the same with the Burbank Studios for years before eventually consolidating at the Universal lot.

But NBC already had a plan in place to move to Universal when they sold.

Days of Our Lives continues to film at Burbank to this day.

Because that's where all the bodies are buried from the old NBC days.

The "smokin, drinkin and gropin" days.

anyway....

Bad sign when ABC has to sell-off a major chunk of land to finance a purchase.

Didn't Tribune start selling property a few years back....

https://commercialobserver.com/2018/04/silverstein-abc-upper-west-side-campus-sale/

the mouse has sold off ABC's property in NYC to fund the 21st Century Fox purchase...

yous all ask why abc isn't buying stations while their corporate overlord sells off their property to buy a movie studio...

no mention on whether or not the property will be redeveloped... or whether regis philbin comes with the building...

Sounds to me like if Disney is selling ABC's property in NYC, they might as well sell off the Network altogether in order to fund the purchase of 21st Century Fox

Because that's where all the bodies are buried from the old NBC days.

The "smokin, drinkin and gropin" days.

anyway....

Bad sign when ABC has to sell-off a major chunk of land to finance a purchase.

Didn't Tribune start selling property a few years back....

Much of the reason that Disney has been doing so well in recent years is because Eisner pointedly avoided any of the sort of culture-destroying mega-mergers that stymied rivals (AOL-Time Warner being the most prominent example, Viacom-CBS being a lesser but still potent one). Disney was somewhat lacking in any real rudder by the time Eisner left, and while Iger's high-profile deals have brought Disney success, it remains to be seen if - if the Disney-Fox merger is even approved - this won't end up being like those deals.

But NBC already had a plan in place to move to Universal when they sold.

NBC Burbank was sold to a company that seems to specialize in leasing property to media groups. ABC NYC was sold to a company that specializes in managing large amounts of office space and building new office towers. I wouldn't assume this is going to be a long-term lease deal, especially when you consider this part of the article:

Last November, Disney sold $55 million worth of development rights from across its West 66th Street holdings to Extell Development Company for Extell’s planned development of a 69-story, 775-foot-tall residential building at 50 West 66th Street

There's obviously demand for land in that area, and a desire to build large office buildings. A large office building ABC is not.

NBC Burbank was sold to a company that seems to specialize in leasing property to media groups. ABC NYC was sold to a company that specializes in managing large amounts of office space and building new office towers. I wouldn't assume this is going to be a long-term lease deal, especially when you consider this part of the article:

There's obviously demand for land in that area, and a desire to build large office buildings. A large office building ABC is not.

What about residential they could build a large apartment building/tower with park views.

Now where would ABC go? Could they move to one of the new buildings being built on the WTC site - but that would likely cost more than what they get for the existing site. I imagine the land is cheaper in the outer boroughs or NJ.

[quote name='Journalist'][IMG]https://i.gyazo.com/ce1de9b12bebbc57e3effa23d5999180.png[/IMG][/QUOTE] @Journalist I wouldn't call it all that crazy anymore. ESPN (The Producers of ABC's Sports Coverage) could easily take over all their sports from ABC for the most part and continue the migration to Cable. With this news it becoming clear ABC isn't the apple of Disney's eye anymore. I could easily see it being sold within the next couple of years. Why have a network when you have a streaming services (Hulu and "DisFilx" ) can make money from consumers directly.

[quote name='ColumbusNewsFan']@Journalist I wouldn't call it all that crazy anymore. ESPN (The Producers of ABC's Sports Coverage) could easily take over all their sports from ABC for the most part and continue the migration to Cable. With this news it becoming clear ABC isn't the apple of Disney's eye anymore. I could easily see it being sold within the next couple of years. Why have a network when you have a streaming services (Hulu and "DisFilx" ) can make money from consumers directly.[/QUOTE] It does make it easier for Disney to air it’s own ABC content rather than having to pay to air ABC programs.

So does this mean ABC will need to relocate, or that it will remain in place and just becoming renting tenants of the new building owner?

The WABC-Tv portion of that complex has seen better days....much better days.

Unless they are dead set on being on the upper west side then I would support moving most of it to Brooklyn and starting fresh.

[quote name='ColumbusNewsFan']@Journalist I wouldn't call it all that crazy anymore. ESPN (The Producers of ABC's Sports Coverage) could easily take over all their sports from ABC for the most part and continue the migration to Cable. With this news it becoming clear ABC isn't the apple of Disney's eye anymore. I could easily see it being sold within the next couple of years. Why have a network when you have a streaming services (Hulu and "DisFilx" ) can make money from consumers directly.[/QUOTE] [quote name='Que']It does make it easier for Disney to air it’s own ABC content rather than having to pay to air ABC programs.[/QUOTE] Which is why it might make sense for Disney to sell ABC but then again ABC may still bring some value to Disney so they may decide to keep ABC, but if Disney does in fact Disney keeps ABC over the course of for example, 10 years, Disney better be careful when it comes to sports coverage on ABC, if you're not going to bring back the ABC Sports branding, at least sublicense some of the games to ABC (which ESPN already does this with both College Football and the NBA) but if you're Disney/ESPN I would at least expand it beyond College Football/NBA (for example put Saturday Primetime Baseball games and the World Series that currently airs on Fox, on ABC, or better yet, put at least one of the CFP Semifinal games and the CFP National Championship game on ABC)

It does make it easier for Disney to air it’s own ABC content rather than having to pay to air ABC programs.

ESPN actually pay for Time on ABC. I know it sounds strange but I've noticed over the years it has said "The preceding has paid for by ESPN" I know if that mean ESPN is paying for time on ABC?

At the end of the day the divisions, subsidiary corporations, etc. all fall under the Walt Disney Company. So it would make sense for divisions to pay other divisions for expenses, etc. It happens a lot with large corporations.

I've noticed over the years it has said "The preceding has paid for by ESPN" I know if that mean ESPN is paying for time on ABC?

Yes, ESPN actually purchases the rights for their properties and then does the same as an infomercial buyer by paying for the time those games air to ABC. It keeps the rights under one contract without the contractual tangles making a second deal with ABC alone would cause.

People have been claiming Disney is going to sell ABC since Disney bought ABC more than 20 years ago. Won’t happen. ABC gives all of Disney continued high profile visibility and still drops impressive dollars to the bottom line. As far as the property goes, expect ABC to be a tenant for five years or so. When the time comes, they’ll probably move ABC News, WABC, and the daytime talk shows to the far west side or uptown. Everything and everybody else will go to Burbank. A few have already gone there. Disney wants all their corporate and administrative departments & staffs in one zip code.

Archived