Non-News Classic Video

Jess

The list of locally-produced sitcoms is, unsurprisingly, short. A lot of people in the TV business know of Park Street Under, the sitcom produced by WCVB that's believed to have inspired Cheers and is still remembered by Bostonians of a certain age. On the other hand, you have this: Hamtramck, a production of WDIV in Detroit. A disaster according to almost everyone, it caused the station to be inundated with phone calls from offended viewers, mostly from the Polish community. In fact, according to Mort Crim's memoir, word of the show and it's portrayals made it to Poland itself, and those Poles who heard of it also hated it. In fact, when Crim was on assignment there, his interpreter nearly deserted him when she learned that he worked for WDIV. She stayed on only after Mort and crew convinced her they had nothing to do with Hamtramck.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IZiVLneyHRpQqQuEXlUgRZW8tasZIaEt/view

Edited by TheOneManHerd
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Revisiting the final years of the Oprah show, it's amazing how well produced it was in terms of aesthetic. Talk shows today look so washed out and cheap. The bright lighting has not helped declining budgets in the age of HD at all. Outside of the quality of the show Oprah generally had the best aesthetic look of all the talk shows at the time. The video walls here blend in nicely. I like how the producers use the portrait effect to blur the background. The lighting isn't too harsh and the high definition looks smooth. It's amazing how far things have gone downhill since 2010 for daytime TV.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From WJZ in Baltimore, Jan. 2, 1995, on the day of the network switch in Charm City (WJZ now with CBS, WBAL back with NBC [11 had moved to CBS in 1981, as I remember it, but came back to NBC here], and WMAR now with ABC): a fun and informative deep dive into why this switch was made, and how it affected mostly where viewers would see their favorite shows; look at the 20:29 mark for a BTS shot that is hardly ever seen, and that is on 60 Minutes, where we see what the correspondent looks at (here, the late Ed Bradley) when he or she sits in front of that simulated magazine backdrop (the correspondent sees an image of himself/herself in front of the simulated magazine backdrop, and there are lights around and a small table in front of him/her); 60 Minutes would of course be at 13, where it still is today.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Two uploads from a recording of the Packers vs. Buccaneers playoff game from the 1997 season (played on January 4, 1998)

Most (missing the intro) of the FOX pregame show

And since I don't see the link to the intro to the game (which for some reason won't display here due to NFL copyright concerns even though the video itself is still up); here's the link.

January 4, 1998 FOX NFL intro (Packers vs. Buccaneers - 1997 NFC Divisional Playoff Game)

Edited by WAVY 10 Fan
changed game intro link to a separate link since the display is blocked here (though the video isn't)
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Talk show featuring KNBC news anchor Kelly Lange and screenwriter/TV producer Gail Parent.  The Kelly and Gail show aired on KNBC during the 1990-91 television season:

More videos of the Kelly and Gail show are on Gail Parent's YouTube page.

Edited by nbc9houston

An NFL broadcast for the history books! WFLA’s Gayle Sierens becoming the first female play-by-play announcer in NFL history. The game broadcast from December 27, 1987 between the Seahawks and Chiefs has finally been uploaded on YouTube!

Edited by jerseyfla
Date

• 2 weeks later...

NBC Staff Announcer Fred Facey acting in an ad for Preparation-H in 1980. This is the first time I have ever seen an image of Fred Facey! So for those who think of him only as a voiceover, close your eyes and imagine him doing a sponsor plug on News 4 New York for Preparation-H and laugh like I did. Plus my name is Bill so this made me crack up more!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A rare sign on from KOAA-TV, Ch. 5, Pueblo, CO, from 1987, featuring both the a variation of the 1979-86 & 1986-current NBC logos! 

Did KOAA-TV come up with the "Proud N 5/30" logo a year, or so, before NBC debuted their current logo & KOAA-TV decided to tack the current NBC logo onto their "Proud N 5/30" logo?

Edited by Route66Fan
  • Like 1

A mix of news and non-news-- from graphic designer Jay Cordova, a sampling of work by another famed graphic designer, Bill Feigenbaum, who had worked for CBS Sports in the 80s (he did more than just them, as you'll see here):

• Like 1

Game 3 of the 1981 NLCS between the L.A. Dodgers and the former Montreal Expos, from the former Olympic Stadium in Montreal (NBC broadcast, rerun on RDS, with French-language announcers)...

On 5/4/2023 at 7:17 PM, bmasters1 said:

Game 3 of the 1981 NLCS between the L.A. Dodgers and the former Montreal Expos, from the former Olympic Stadium in Montreal (NBC broadcast, rerun on RDS, with French-language announcers)...

What, the actual French TV broadcast wasn't available?

A sample of what is now CW+. Yakima was one of the dozens of small markets that had a WB feed on cable, specifically WB 100+. Much like Foxnet, they cleared WB, WB Kids, and a plethora of syndicated programs, including Ellen DeGeneres in her first two or three seasons. It took me about eight years of VHS collecting to find a WB 100+ clip, but here it is, with the fictional calls "KWYP":

And here's another look at small-town Montana TV...specifically KTMF 23 in 1997 - lots of local ads but no news department at this time. KGGL-93.3 "Eagle 93" is still around to this day, and it has one of the best FM signals in western Montana. I heard them as far west as the 4th of July Pass area on I-90, west of Kellogg ID.