Non-News Classic Video

Jess

Also in memory of Phyllis, here's the Week 2 1981 edition of The NFL Today on CBS:

And also football-related, here are two vintage editions of an NFL highlight show from 1954 on the old DuMont network called Time For Football, w/Jim Leaming:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Some sign-on videos from different parts of the globe. First, a rare and interesting start-up sequence: FR3 (now France 3) in the early 1990s.

Thames (the ITV franchise that served London on weekdays) beginning its broadcast day in September 1982.

Finally, a sign-on from 2003: before its regular programs, Canal 13 Buenos Aires aired a loop with the station's personalities welcoming the viewers and inviting them to watch their shows. This is followed by a public message, some bumpers, and ID and the start of its first program.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just put up the first few uploads from a tape I bought from eBay containing a Star Trek marathon recorded from FOX O&O WFLD-TV 32 (outside of some recordings from WNBC's satellite feed when my parents had the "big ugly dish" these are the first uploads from an over-the-air station outside the Hampton Roads area). November 16, 1986. One of the uploads is a promo for WFLD's movie broadcasts that week.

• Like 1

I'm starting to go through a bunch of my old tapes again - so fair warning if you're a subscriber of my channel - you're about to run into a bunch of 1986-89 Houston & Cable TV content.

That said, a more recent upload aside from commercials & movie opens & news stuff focuses on the sequences or segments I've simply just dubbed "legalese" in my uploads. They are the moments where general information about the station, technical data and copyright information is relayed and may or may not be accompanied by the SSB or similar patriotic song or sequence.... but don't necessarily lead to a sign-off or sign-on.

This one is from KRIV, circa April 1986 (I've been able to narrow down to the week based on the episode of Star Search in a commercial compilation I posted), and runs just under 30 seconds. The first image is actually a vantage point from the roof of the former studios on Westheimer Road and Weslayan Street - one that would be recognizable to viewers of the Midday News in the early 90s, as this was often the backdrop for Matt Lavine's weather segment on the roof.

Edited by NewsStar2
  • Like 3

"This man has worked a long, hard day and he's got a lot of money to show for it-- other people's money. He's a pickpocket-- his take: $700. It's dangerous to carry cash. Carry American Express Travelers Cheques. If they're lost or stolen you can get them back. Your vacation is protected. American Express Travelers Cheques-- don't leave home without them."

--The late, great Karl Malden, in one of his various commercials for American Express Travelers' Cheques, said commercials indelibly identifying him with that credit card brand (this one from 1975)

Edited by bmasters1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just uploaded this, but I always find it interesting when station IDs include their owner or ownership group in some fashion. This one is somewhat of a rarity in that the owner mentioned (Gulf Broadcasting) only owned KTXH for about a year, and the sale to Taft Broadcasting was announced at about the time that this particular clip was recorded - February 1985.

As I opined in the clip, Taft did a better job of exploiting the "20 Vision" brand that had been established by the initial owner - Grant Broadcasting, and it had been somewhat inconsistently used post sale to Gulf. It doesn't even occur in this clip. Taft launched the version that is arguably most familiar to viewers in the area later that year with a logo that lived on until 1993 when the Paramount branding went into effect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, NewsStar2 said:

I just uploaded this, but I always find it interesting when station IDs include their owner or ownership group in some fashion. This one is somewhat of a rarity in that the owner mentioned (Gulf Broadcasting) only owned KTXH for about a year, and the sale to Taft Broadcasting was announced at about the time that this particular clip was recorded - February 1985.

That's an awesome find. Never seen a Gulf BG ID before. I assume it was also used on the other Gulf owned stations- WTSP, KTSP, WGHP etc.

On 8/9/2020 at 1:36 AM, NewsStar2 said:

As I opined in the clip, Taft did a better job of exploiting the "20 Vision" brand that had been established by the initial owner - Grant Broadcasting, and it had been somewhat inconsistently used post sale to Gulf. It doesn't even occur in this clip. Taft launched the version that is arguably most familiar to viewers in the area later that year with a logo that lived on until 1993 when the Paramount branding went into effect.

You can see a brief snippet of a Gulf ID at 1:28 in this clip from...KESQ.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The late Arlene Francis on the original Home show (1954-57) on NBC (the late Hugh Downs was the announcer): this particular broadcast (a partial one; the show ran for an hour daily) was 30 years before the other (similar) show of that name premiered on ABC in 1988 (that ABC one would go to 1994)...

Edited by bmasters1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bmasters1 said:

The late Arlene Francis on the original Home show (1954-57) on NBC (the late Hugh Downs was the announcer): this particular broadcast (a partial one; the show ran for an hour daily) was 30 years before the other (similar) show of that name premiered on ABC in 1988 (that ABC one would go to 1994)...

On the other end of the spectrum, here is Downs in his most famous role, besides being host of Today in the 60s, he was the host of a game show that was later on brought back, but with Alex Trebek of Jeopardy as host in the 80s. Notice the cheesy sounding organ music too.  As far as i know, he was the only Today host or panelist to have  game show hosting duties.

• Thanks 1

A funny video from WXFL/WFLA in Tampa Bay (mid to late 1980s), where anchor Bob Hite mocks and dances to the theme music of Miami Vice. Includes appearances from Bill Ratliff and Gayle Sierens.

Edited by onthesea
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Samantha said:

That's actually a few days later, which is even weirder... They were still running the signoff on a completely different set of sticks.

Yeah, it is. I thought this was from the last day as a FOX affiliate, but nope, FOX Programming stopped airing on November 2. My bad, i need to look at the correct dates in the future.

On 11/1/2020 at 8:24 PM, onthesea said:

A funny video from WXFL/WFLA in Tampa Bay (mid to late 1980s), where anchor Bob Hite mocks and dances to the theme music of Miami Vice. Includes appearances from Bill Ratliff and Gayle Sierens.

HA HA!! FUNNY STUFF!! 😆

I'd love to see the entire NewsNation team (Joe Donlon, Marnie Hughes, Rob Nelson, etc.) dance to the Miami Vice theme a la Bob Hite (hee hee)! It would be AWESOME!! It might go viral QUICKLY!! 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...