Non-News Classic Video

Jess

6 minutes ago, justin2kx said:

Sad news from the game show + retro community. Poster David Downs who runs the Fun and Games Channel on youtube (Wheel, J!, vintage HBO, etc..) + created sarcastic videos on the day's TPIR on facebook under his aforementioned name, passed away at the age of 35. He leaves behind his fiancee Amanda. An inspiration + driving force for nostalgia geeks in us. Rest well. 

Hi there, original poster of the tribute. David Downs' channel had over 25 million views alone, so this news is still heartbreaking to say the least. Please keep his family and GF Amanda in your thoughts.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, REWRetroSuperstation said:

Hi there, original poster of the tribute. David Downs' channel had over 25 million views alone, so this news is still heartbreaking to say the least. Please keep his family and GF Amanda in your thoughts.

Yes Yarnel, I saw your post via FB + from what i've read, you got to know him much as well. Sending my condolences to you as a friend + of course keeping Amanda + their families in my prayers. Left my thoughts on your yt post under 'Justin'. A distressful weekend of those we know personally + publicly who passed away, including my mom (RIP) All those in our thoughts. gotta live life in the spirit of those who left us soon.

18 minutes ago, justin2kx said:

Yes Yarnel, I saw your post via FB + from what i've read, you got to know him much as well. Sending my condolences to you as a friend + of course keeping Amanda + their families in my prayers. Left my thoughts on your yt post under 'Justin'. A distressful weekend of those we know personally + publicly who passed away, including my mom (RIP) All those in our thoughts. gotta live life in the spirit of those who left us soon.

Looks like Amanda is keeping the channels lights on, at least for now. TF&GC just uploaded an episode of the Feud:

We all know the classic 'HBO in space' theme but did you know there was an extended instrumental version of the said composition? This version was based off a cassette that was sent to radio stations to promo upcoming movie showings on HBO. There's also a vocal version of the said theme. To hear that, if you have a TVPMM account, you can log in + listen to 'HBO - feature presentation' under category "Movies". I feel like certain TV themes always had some sort of extended CD-esque releases in the 80s. Recently at work I heard (read: figured out) the full version of 'the greatest american hero' thru the sound system.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't sure where to post this-This is new to me, and maybe others have seen this, but it's a fascinating interview with meteorologist Dennis Feltgen who most notably worked at KSTP but also had stints at WSB, WPEC, KARE and WTSP. He talks about his experience working for "old man" Hubbard and then Gannett, then his time in Tampa where he apparently was slated to replace Dick Fletcher, and his career since his TV days. Really down to earth guy. 

https://tcmedianow.com/tc-media-now-exclusive-interview-with-kstp-and-kares-dennis-feltgen/

1 hour ago, 8Viewer said:

Wasn't sure where to post this-This is new to me, and maybe others have seen this, but it's a fascinating interview with meteorologist Dennis Feltgen who most notably worked at KSTP but also had stints at WSB, WPEC, KARE and WTSP. He talks about his experience working for "old man" Hubbard and then Gannett, then his time in Tampa where he apparently was slated to replace Dick Fletcher, and his career since his TV days. Really down to earth guy. 

https://tcmedianow.com/tc-media-now-exclusive-interview-with-kstp-and-kares-dennis-feltgen/

Fascinating interview. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

25 years ago today, The WB Television Network launched. It was the first of the two eventual predecessors of The CW to launch in January 1995, five days before the United Paramount Network (UPN) made its debut. Here's a look at the commercials that aired during the network's first night (as seen on WLVI in Boston):

...and a couple of teaser commercials for the network's launch:

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 1

Welcome to the 25th anniversary post of the first network of the next century... which would only last five-and-a-half years into said next century. UPN (originally beginning as the United Paramount Network) launched on January 16, 1995; at launch, it bested The WB in terms of over-the-air affiliates but was bested by them in national distribution, given that it lacked affiliates in many smaller markets that the WWOR EMI Service (the superstation feed of the network's New York City flagship WWOR) prevented them from reaching (compare that to the fact that the WGN superstation feed provided that small-market coverage for The WB during its first three-and-a-half years before the network launched its own national cable feed).

UPN was the second of the two eventual predecessors of The CW to launch in January 1995, five days after the The WB made its debut. Here's a look at the commercials that aired during the network's first night and promotional ads that aired preceding its launch:

Edited by T.L. Hughes

7 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Welcome to the 25th anniversary post of the first network of the next century... which would only last five-and-a-half years into said next century. UPN (originally beginning as the United Paramount Network) launched on January 16, 1995; at launch, it bested The WB in terms of over-the-air affiliates but was bested by them in national distribution, given that it lacked affiliates in many smaller markets that the WWOR EMI Service (the superstation feed of the network's New York City flagship WWOR) prevented them from reaching (compare that to the fact that the WGN superstation feed provided that small-market coverage for The WB during its first three-and-a-half years before the network launched its own national cable feed).

UPN was the second of the two eventual predecessors of The CW to launch in January 1995, five days after the The WB made its debut. Here's a look at the commercials that aired during the network's first night and promotional ads that aired preceding its launch:

And here is a full history on the network:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumping this up: long before social media provided the storylines of the daily serials at the click of a mouse or the press of a phone key, the networks then did their own promos for what was to come on the daily serials, and you never knew what would happen unless you followed those serials very closely.

Here's a promo from May '81 for Another World (using NBC's Proud N and Serif Gothic promo font of the time):

• Like 2

KTRK's 9 AM Sunday Morning Movie, circa 1988. I've been curious about that version of "Hooray for Hollywood" for some time, since I do recall it from this as a child and it appears to have been used by sister-station WPVI at about the same time for a movie intro as well.

Edited by NewsStar2
  • Like 1

KCWB-TV (Now KCWE-TV.) Ch. 29, Kansas City, MO, Technical Diffuculties, Circa May 1997.

KCPT-TV, Ch. 19, Kansas City, MO, Viewer Discretion Advised Disclaimer, Circa May 2004

KCPT-TV, Ch. 19, Kansas City, MO, Tornado Warning & Weather Crawl, Circa May 2004.

KCPT-TV, Ch. 19, Kansas City, MO, Technical Diffuculty Moments, Circa May 2004.

KTWU-TV, Ch. 11, Topeka, KS, Signoff (Circa Spring or Summer 1998), Classic TV DX.

Edited by Route66Fan
  • Like 3

Michael Jordan's legendary 63-point playoff game, Bulls v. Celtics, Game 2, 1986 Eastern Conference playoffs (quarterfinals) (double-OT; the Celtics still won despite all that); this is the radio broadcast from Jim Durham, overlaying the CBS television broadcast; first minutes are of the CBS setup of the game, then Jim Durham starts his feed on the Bulls Radio Network).

• Like 2

OPB (Oregon Public Broadcasting) signing off in 1988. The station was using footage from Godfrey Reggio's 1982 movie Koyaanisqatsi for this closedown clip.

Artery (a Scottish TV locally-produced program) takes a behind-the-scenes look at how the STV/Grampian's 2000 idents were produced.

• 3 weeks later...

In the memory and in tribute to the late Phyllis George, here's an episode of her appearance on The $20,000 Pyramid from 1976. And this episode shows Phyllis go to the top in 28 seconds in the 2nd Winner's Circle, before Billy Crystal went to the top in a all-time record 26 seconds in '77.

Edited by TexasTVNews