Non-News Classic Video

Jess

EPCOT Magazine, a daily newsmagazine show on The Disney Channel w/Michael Young and a different cohost each day (Michael Young's cohost on this edition from 1983 [the show started w/the advent of The Disney Channel on April 18, 1983] is Morgan Brittany of O-R CBS Dallas)

More on that from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPCOT_Magazine

Edited by bmasters1

• 3 weeks later...

An airing of the Jimmy Stewart movie Made For Each Other from November 1989, what makes this rare is that it was taped off KBLR 39, back when it was a movie oriented English independent, and includes commercials and station ID: 

Edited by hmaxhanson

1 hour ago, hmaxhanson said:

An airing of the Jimmy Stewart movie Made For Each Other from November 1989, what makes this rare is that it was taped off KBLR 39, back when it was a movie oriented English independent, and includes commercials and station ID: 

Interesting. KBLR was the third independent. KFBT had signed on a few months before, but I think they were a mostly religious station at the time. KBLR was sold and became Telemundo while KFBT ended up becoming the WB affiliate for a couple years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TVIntheDesert said:

Interesting. KBLR was the third independent. KFBT had signed on a few months before, but I think they were a mostly religious station at the time. KBLR was sold and became Telemundo while KFBT ended up becoming the WB affiliate for a couple years.

Don't forget that KRLR 21 started out as an all music videos channel (known as Vusic 21) before beocming a traditional indie a year after sign-on.

BTW, does anyone know the piece of music heard on the station ID at 1:36 of my KBLR video? I've heard in many promos, including for Fox's first airing of the Emmys.

1 hour ago, hmaxhanson said:

Don't forget that KRLR 21 started out as an all music videos channel (known as Vusic 21) before beocming a traditional indie a year after sign-on.

KRLR was the established #2 independent by 1989, but still far behind KVVU in the ratings (which I would have still considered an independent at the time). Las Vegas was a smaller market than Tucson in 1989 (which had three independents but lost one that year), surely LV couldn't support four of them. If I recall correctly, The Count's father, who was a gospel singer, founded KFBT (and also helped start WFBT-29 in Minneapolis as a religious/family-themed independent eight years earlier, eventually selling the station and it became KITN then WFTC). I believe KFBT focused on religious programming its first few years too. KBLR's story reminds me of KPOL (now KHRR) in Tucson - KPOL went dark for a couple of years before becoming a Telemundo station, and I think KBLR did the same too.

Edited by TVIntheDesert
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A tour of Perth station TVW7 in 1982, hosted by local personality Peter Dean. It's interesting to see that the tapes and films used to broadcast programs and movies were flown from the eastern states (NSW and VIC) to WA. Perth was a 3-station market at the time (the others were ABW2 and STW9). It didn't get new channels until later in the decade, with the launch of SBS and NEW10.

1 hour ago, onthesea said:

A tour of Perth station TVW7 in 1982, hosted by local personality Peter Dean. It's interesting to see that the tapes and films used to broadcast programs and movies were flown from the eastern states (NSW and VIC) to WA. Perth was a 3-station market at the time (the others were ABW2 and STW9). It didn't get new channels until later in the decade, with the launch of SBS and NEW10.

WNAC also used that jingle in the waning days of RKO ownership.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's (I think) the second half of an airing of Sabado Gigante from Christmas Eve 1988 via Univision affiliate station WLTV 23. There's lots of rare WLTV stuff in this video as well!

Timestamp bonus: WLTV 23 "Golden Transmitter" station ID used from 1988-1989.

Edited by PBC5NewsUnova
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2019 at 10:42 AM, PBC5NewsUnova said:

Fun fact: MTV made a program that aired on Telemundo in the early 1990s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_foDT4O2x8

IIRC, that program was also carried by some channels across South America. Canal 10 (in Montevideo, Uruguay) was one of them.

Here's a closer of CBC's coverage of the Molson Indy Vancouver in September 1998 with Brian Williams. Includes sponsors and a long, clean cut of the music theme. Was this theme only used for auto racing and sponsors?

A short promo of TF1's Saturday night lineup in November 1998. At the time, TF1 had a minimalistic identity: it relied on film footage of everyday people and places for its "jingles".

Edited by onthesea

A promo from CBC Sports in November 2002 with the lineup of Saturday afternoon events:

Some promos from the Nine Network in 2003, from the old days of the modern, colorful graphic package.

Finally, a station sign-on: Canal 13 began its broadcast day quite early on December 31st, 1999 (at 6:20am); it used to sign on at noon on weekdays and at 1pm on weekends at the time, but on that day it was forced to kick off earlier than usual due to the 26-hour special El Dia del Milenio.

Not sure where this came from - maybe that WGN night where they recreated the NBC mid 80s Thursday night lineup - but first clean version of the long '85 Let's All Be There ID I've seen

Not sure where this came from - maybe that WGN night where they recreated the NBC mid 80s Thursday night lineup - but first clean version of the long '85 Let's All Be There ID I've seen

• 3 weeks later...

Sad news from the game show + retro community. Poster David Downs who runs the Fun and Games Channel on youtube (Wheel, J!, vintage HBO, etc..) + created sarcastic videos on the day's TPIR on facebook under his aforementioned name, passed away at the age of 35. He leaves behind his fiancee Amanda. An inspiration + driving force for nostalgia geeks in us. Rest well. 

Edited by justin2kx
  • Sad 2