Non-News Classic Video

Jess

"El show de Videomatch" ends almost at midnight on a rarely warm night in June of 1998, as Canal 5 Rosario takes a small break from Telefe programming and shows us pictures from the third biggest city in Argentina (with music of local legend Fito Páez), and suddenly rejoins Telefe for a little bit of soccer action and "El equipo del mundial" from France.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Not sure if we have an International thread or not (I can’t find one) but I am on an ITV kick right now. Specifically, ITV Central.

This might be one of the best station startups ever. Flashy graphics and tremendous music that build up to a crescendo at the end. I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfXziWcZ2P8

I have an idea, if there is no International Classic Video thread, how about we take the Classic Video Threads up to 2008 and the Modern Day Video Threads (2008-now) and make it International Classic Video Threads but I would set it up to whatever year you want to set it to as Classic and anything after that year a Modern Video Thread

Not sure if we have an International thread or not (I can’t find one) but I am on an ITV kick right now. Specifically, ITV Central.

This might be one of the best station startups ever. Flashy graphics and tremendous music that build up to a crescendo at the end. I love it.

Not only ITV kick but i'm also on '80's advert' kick. This was the best local structure i can think of. An independent system consisted of local franchises air on the same channel 3 respectively. Those stations had their own identity instead of just being 'ITV' They also produced their own shows, a good number of them air on national ITV. If only they could identify on air their name (ITV Anglia, ITV Meridian, ITV Central) since it's their official name than homogenized as just ITV. Reports of the 1991 franchise results were maddening. It makes you wanna curse out an already dead iron lady.

• Like 2

Aw, yeah! Central had a shaky few years, what with trying to establish a firm identity and escape ATV's shadow, but by the time the cake rolled in, they had evolved into winners. The cake is one of my favorite logos, and all the graphics, idents and such that accompanied it over the years are all incredibly good. Catchy music, cool animation, and eventually a distinctive jingle-- but then Carlton came in and ruined everything in their quest to corrupt and take over ITV from within.

But every so often, you might be able to find this endcap on an old rerun or what have you:

• Like 2

I’ll raise you an ATV, Hulkie. For a time, this was used to open up the broadcast day in the Midlands. (Two different sequences, but the same song. While the first one is focused on two children and an adorable dog, the second one is endless aerial shots of the region.)

It would’ve lasted a long time, had the Independent Broadcasting Authority interfered. (“NO LYRICS!”) But the song is...you get the idea.

• Like 3

Just found this classic HBO promo block. I think the “next on” bumper might be my favorite continuity announcement of all time. (Aside from some of the Kim Martin WGBS classics of course.)

• Like 1

A TV commercial from Argentinian FM radio station Aspen 102.3, that aired in 1998, voiced by Chilean announcer Fernando Solís. The station was very proud of offering "digital sound" to its listeners, 4 years before most of its rivals.

Telefe starting its broadcast day on Wednesday, September 24, 1997, at 10:55am with a little bit of music from Argentinian rock band Man Ray, as a very polite announcer reads the tracks of the CD, the station's call letters and the date. After that, an ID and 1 second from the intro of MacGyver.

This game telecast from 1986 is notable for two reasons:

-it is the final game Wichita State played in football (the program was disbanded within a month)

-it was also the final regular season game in ASU's Rose Bowl season

Wichita State football at the time was telecast by KBS (KWCH).

As a bonus...

-There's a promo at 1:37:00...

-and at 2:55:35 is a promo leading into the KWCH sign-off. This must have been a repeat.

• Like 4

I've been on a Showtime kick lately, and I want to introduce you guys to some of their underrated promos and intros.

First, a short promo that kicked off the "Excitement" campaign (based around the Pointer Sisters' "I'm So Excited") in 1984, which is when Showtime really began evolving their on-air look:

Then their Exclusive Movie intro of the period, and the ratings bumper which really gives you the chills:

Jumping forward a few years, straight from one of the people who worked on it, one of the Pittard Sullivan-era intros, which were very visually attractive, if overloaded with elements:

From 1995, one of their "Start Time" intros, part of one of the most minimal, yet attractive looks on premium cable (the current Starz look is very lazy in comparison)

And to wrap things up, a set of quirky intros from the late 90s-- one for Showtime (then having just entered the "No Limits" era), two for TMC:

• Like 1

I know someone has shared some video from this site before but McMillen and Wife’s Pittsburgh Steelers Fansite has TONS of vintage Pittsburgh Steeler games on their site recorded off of Pittsburgh TV stations mostly from WIIC/WPXI as they were the Steelers flagship station for preseason games and regular season NBC games. You can skim through games and find a lot of vintage ads, which is how I have my avatar pic.

www.mcmillenandwife.com

• Like 4

A promo campaign from Teledoce (Uruguay) in 1998, where the station highlighted its programming, mostly its own-produced shows, but some brief excerpts of foreign shows (Brazilian soaps, Animaniacs, The X-Files, ER, Timon & Pumbaa, Mirtha Legrand, etc.) and movies could be seen too.

The station had its own chopper for news-gathering duties, something very strange for a TV station in a relatively small country!

• Like 1