Weather Channel sold to Entertainment Studios

atlnews2

Wow. Bargain indeed. And to Entertainment Studios...didn't think TWC would fit into the current lineup of networks that have logos drawn seemingly by 5th graders, and not available on Altice...nevertheless, congrats to Byron Allen, and I hope he can keep TWC afloat. PS this is AccuWeather's chance to push the gas pedal...

"In August 2016, reports surfaced that Sinclair Broadcast Group expressed interest in acquiring ownership of The Weather Channel"

The Terrorism Tornado Alert Desk didn't sound like such a bad idea.

But thenagain, ES actually hit decent paydirt in the film distribution industry recently...

jim cantore will be the first to go when ES takes full control of the network

On what evidence?? What grounds would new ownership have in letting Cantore go?? He's been with the Weather Channel 30+ years.....

I just read this on Deadline and was like "No way". I thought Byron was just a corny guy with these different syndicated programs.

Well played, sir.

I guess Comcast was tired of dealing with Bain Capital and Blackstone.

One thing to note is that The Weather Company (the actual weather forecasting/data company that owned the weather channel) was sold to IBM 3 years ago for about $2 billion, with The Weather Channel remained under control of Comcast/Bain Capitol/Blackstone and agreed to a long term contract to use Weather Company data and weather.com.

That was the crown jewel of the Weather Channel, once that sale took place I think The Weather Channel's days were numbered.

But a sale to Entertainment Studios doesn't really make much sense. I thought for sure that Comcast would end up acquiring the entire thing from the private equity people.

Should have seen this coming - first the data business is sold and then NBC’s beefing up of their weather coverage. Look at all the investments NBC has made at their O&Os, Storm Rangers, and apparently their own forecast model. All that data is sent back to 30 Rock. Plus I can’t think of the last time a Weather personality reported on a major network property (Today or Nightly News).

However I can see NBC poaching some talent.

I would of kept the data unit. That probably makes most of the money.

I thought this was a dream at first. Then i realized I just woke up from a nap. Why the hell would Comcast do such a stupid-ass thing?

Because it wasn't Comcast who made the sale, it was Bain Capital. The same private equity dumpster fire who is currently spearheading the bankruptcies of iHeart and Toys R Us.

If they run TWC like his shows, then AccuWeather and WeatherNation will look like big budget operations.

I will be surprised if the Weather Channel doesn't flip to an all-rerun cable net. Pretty sure he can get day-long rerun blocks of Law and Order: SVU, Criminal Minds to supplant his existing library of content.

On the plus side: I'm pretty sure this means the end of TWC's fascination with naming winter storms. God I hope so.

With the way the other of ES's logos are seemingly drawn by 2000s graphic designers (seriously), The Weather Channel ought to get a remake since it stands out with its presentation. Took me 10 minutes, but this would comfortably place TWC into Allen's other channels.

Anyways, AccuWeather and WeatherNation haven't made strides before when TWC was facing adversity, so it's not like TWC won't remain at the top of the mountain post-acquisition.

154698250_twces.thumb.png.a78c7e2795fd70481b22611ec385a9c6.png

With the way the other of ES's logos are seemingly drawn by 2000s graphic designers (seriously), The Weather Channel ought to get a remake since it stands out with its presentation. Took me 10 minutes, but this would comfortably place TWC into Allen's other channels.

Anyways, AccuWeather and WeatherNation haven't made strides before when TWC was facing adversity, so it's not like TWC won't remain at the top of the mountain post-acquisition.

Not to go too off topic but... An A for effort, but I don't see that at all.

Not to go too off topic but... An A for effort, but I don't see that at all.

I don't see it either. I think they'll be smart enough not to dumb it down to their other networks, which I don't have on Altice. I did it just for the fun of it.

Anyways, how quick will the transition take place? And I wonder who will be the first ones to leave...

Archived