IndyCar races, including Indy 500, moving to NBC and NBCSN

LoadStar

After 54 years, the Indianapolis 500 is moving from ABC to NBC. NBC and NBCSN will now be the home for all IndyCar races.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/indy-500-moving-nbc-after-54-years-abc-1202350643/

My 2 biggest takeaways from this deal:

1. It makes sense for IndyCar to be on 1 network for the entire season (it was about time that happened given the race schedule IndyCar has)

2. Roone Arledge would be turning over in his grave seeing what Disney has done to ABC's sports programming because ABC will only have College Football and the NBA on thier sports properties list by 2019

My 2 biggest takeaways from this deal:

1. It makes sense for IndyCar to be on 1 network for the entire season (it was about time that happened given the race schedule IndyCar has)

2. Roone Arledge would be turning over in his grave seeing what Disney has done to ABC's sports programming because ABC will only have College Football and the NBA on thier sports properties list by 2019

Also, this is yet another sports property that ESPN loses.

Not only that... a tradition with WRTV ends and a new one begins with WTHR.

Many people are asking on social media if the blackout will continue with the move to NBC and WTHR.

Also, this is yet another sports property that ESPN loses.

That's true but what I was referring to is the programming that ABC has lost since the end of The Baseball Network following the 1995 season (although ESPN has taken a hit as well)

ESPN barely covers hockey and other niche sports anyway, especially on SportsCenter.

It seems as if the only thing SportsCenter cares about anymore is the NFL/NBA, I don't know if it's because most younger viewers have turned their backs on niche sports or what?

It seems as if the only thing SportsCenter cares about anymore is the NFL/NBA, I don't know if it's because most younger viewers have turned their backs on niche sports or what?

They still care about the MLB too, to a somewhat degree.

They still care about the MLB too, to a somewhat degree.

Not nearly as much though. They breeze through all the day's highlights within like 2 minutes for the entire league, then it's on to the latest NBA, NFL, or college football stories.

They'll devote a little more time to MLB if there was a big trade, free agent signing, or story involving the Yankees or Red Sox, but other than that, they try to breeze past the MLB coverage as much as possible.

Heck, they outsourced their MLB daily show to MLB Network's Intentional Talk, and now they outsourced their Sunday Night Baseball booth to two personalities (Vasgersian and Rodriguez) from MLB Network/Fox. They basically are trying to provide the bare minimum of resources to their in-house MLB coverage.

WTHR is certainly excited. They interviewed someone from IndyCar today to discuss the contract. One of the things brought up was the local blackout and as of right now, the blackout is still in effect.

https://www.wthr.com/article/indy-500-telecast-moving-to-nbc-in-2019

See that's what I was wondering. It was mentioned in that interview that if the 500 sells out like it did a couple of years ago, then they'll lift the blackout.

I wouldn't be surprised if ABC bails on the NBA and college football next

They still have the NBA until 2024-25, College Football till 2024-27 depending on the conference you're talking about

No more sharing Indy 500 in West Michigan after 2018 race as WOTV & WZZM both ABC stations aired the race for decades. WOTV sister station Wood TV will be the sole broadcaster to air the Indy 500 in 2019. Time for the Indy 500 to be live in Indy on TV end the lame blackout rule like the NFL did a few years ago for the home team market.

No more sharing Indy 500 in West Michigan after 2018 race as WOTV & WZZM both ABC stations aired the race for decades. WOTV sister station Wood TV will be the sole broadcaster to air the Indy 500 in 2019. Time for the Indy 500 to be live in Indy on TV end the lame blackout rule like the NFL did a few years ago for the home team market.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, that's up to track officials and WTHR whether or not they want to show live flag to flag coverage of the Indianapolis 500 regardless if the race sells out or not

1. That's the perks of living in one of the handful of markets with two in-market ABC affiliates...
  2. WRTV already aired the Indy 500 once in recent years, in 2016 due to that year's race selling out, although they also still aired their traditional primetime encore.

The ironic thing is ESPN now has the Formula 1 rights which means that the Monaco Grand Prix will now be on ABC. NBC used to have the rights to those.

So basically ESPN took something NBC has had for quite a few years now and now NBC has taken something ESPN/ABC has had for ages in response.

The ironic thing is ESPN now has the Formula 1 rights which means that the Monaco Grand Prix will now be on ABC. NBC used to have the rights to those.

So basically ESPN took something NBC has had for quite a few years now and now NBC has taken something ESPN/ABC has had for ages in response.

It’s the ol’ switcheroo!

An eye for an eye (not a CBS joke).

Archived