Rick Garcia Suspended

ThatSowislander

Kcbs has had a lot of changes with their anchor team. Maybe they should have hired Whit Johnson from Knbc to replace Rick Garcia or Jeff Michael who might be Garcia's replacement in the evenings.

Kcbs has had a lot of changes with their anchor team. Maybe they should have hired Whit Johnson from Knbc to replace Rick Garcia or Jeff Michael who might be Garcia's replacement in the evenings.

Won't be Whit Johnson he recently joined ABC news as NY based correspondent.

Rick,Sharon and Evelyn duo during the KCAL Primetime slow was the best. They Had great chemistry. Sharon was more of a morning person so it worked better when she went to Mornings with Rick at CBS 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's a done deal. He's been edited out of some of the promos that had previously aired with him and Pat together. I'd like to see Jeff Michael currently on the AM news take his spot. I'm embarrassed to say that I actually like the chemistry he has with Sharon Tay in the mornings. I would be sad to see that team broken up.

• 2 months later...
Jeff Vaughn has moved into his spot, now they haven't deleted Rick's bio so whata going on?

According to yesterday’s FTV, Rick Garcia isn’t going away quietly. I never really watched CBS 2 (there’s not really a difference in stories between them and KCAL), but I would watch KCAL in prime time and I couldn’t stand Jeff Vaughn. He’s not market 2 material and not being a native, is always incorrectly pronouncing names of cities, streets, etc. I’m glad he’s on 2 because I don’t watch and I prefer Juan Fernandez so much more. Juan and Leyna are great together; I hope management keeps them at 9.

Juan and Leyna anchor the 4pm as well on KCAL. Juan has been with KCBS/KCAL forever.

I do watch KCAL at night for weather and some local news updates before I go to bed. Jeff does OK, but I have caught a few mispronunciations as well. I would assume Rick's bio is still online because they haven't officially come to an agreement on separation. So technically he is still employed with KCBS/KCAL.

I agree Juan should have been promoted to be an anchor at the station a long time ago.

Rick Garcia should have been gone and removed from the website a long time ago. Why is it taking so long for the station and him to come to a separation agreement? Matt Laurer and his network separation happened quickly.

Why was David Gonzalez let go from his contract years ago? Wasn't his wife, Nancy, the news director at the time?

This is just a viewer's observations. I agree with all of the above. No knock against Jeff Vaughn -- he's competent enough, but not Market 2 level. He has no particular presence or style. He does all the right things at the right times but as generic and bland as a can of creamed corn. It might have been too much to ask for Juan Fernandez to get the top spot -- he has an identity and a recognizable voice and after all has been with KCBS since long before the KCAL duopoly was created. Not that a midwestern import can't get into the fabric of LA -- Jerry Dunphy did. Paul Magers in my opinion was always a Midwest guy in LA but his talent made up for it -- he made it look easy -- one of the last of the star anchors who could carry the show without seeming pompous, and the only guy there since Dunphy that was Pat Harvey's equal. Rick Garcia was anything but, and in my opinion was just not up to being a main anchor. He had no real presence or projection and often looked uncomfortable, especially in mornings when interviewing celebrities. Those must be some long settlement negotiations; the revamped bio page has a new photo for Rick, as if he's part of the team.

Archived