ABC News Special Report Issues

rkolsen

Maybe it’s WMAR or the network but I’ve noticed in the past two years or so there have been issues when there’s an ABC News Special Report whether in network or out of network programming. During the reports the five second countdown appears fine but when they roll the opening titles issues begin to appear for a few seconds. First there are lines through the image and then audio drop out. Similar issues occur when it ends - however the JIP announcement come through clear.

I’m thinking these issues started when ABC pushed everything to the cloud and virtualized the playout. Where the five second countdown and JIP may be played out as files but there’s an issue when they take the “live” JPEG-2000 source from ABC’s production control room (for processing and then distribution via satellite to affiliates).

It happens during recorded programs such as General Hospital in this video and in live programs such as The View. The fact that these mistakes occur during network programming make me think it’s on ABC’s end and not WMAR’s - as they likely would have no choice in carrying a SR during network time and that it occurs so far into the report.

Maybe it’s WMAR or the network but I’ve noticed in the past two years or so there have been issues when there’s an ABC News Special Report whether in network or out of network programming. During the reports the five second countdown appears fine but when they roll the opening titles issues begin to appear for a few seconds. First there are lines through the image and then audio drop out. Similar issues occur when it ends - however the JIP announcement come through clear.

I’m thinking these issues started when ABC pushed everything to the cloud and virtualized the playout. Where the five second countdown and JIP may be played out as files but there’s an issue when they take the “live” JPEG-2000 source from ABC’s production control room (for processing and then distribution via satellite to affiliates).

It happens during recorded programs such as General Hospital in this video and in live programs such as The View. The fact that these mistakes occur during network programming make me think it’s on ABC’s end and not WMAR’s - as they likely would have no choice in carrying a SR during network time and that it occurs so far into the report.

I’ve never noticed this on my local ABC affiliate.

• 2 weeks later...
I’ve seen and heard that a couple on KABC.

So it must be coming from the network. When you view special reports live streamed on line such as YouTube the problems are not there. Makes me think it’s an issue further downstream like network master control and distribution.

i have seen this type of glitch sometimes in transmission when you're tuning in a signal and its not fully locked yet... my assumption (obviously i do not have access to their equipment) is that it's something to do with the satellite receiver... maybe a decoding issue...

i doubt "cloud" playback has anything to do with it and it seems isolated... not an issue with the feed itself from network...

it only happens during those graphics... lots of movement going on... most of the pixels are changing at once... might be error correction freaking out because there's too many errors and dropping frames as a result...

i can assure you there are top men working on it...

i have seen this type of glitch sometimes in transmission when you're tuning in a signal and its not fully locked yet... my assumption (obviously i do not have access to their equipment) is that it's something to do with the satellite receiver... maybe a decoding issue...

i doubt "cloud" playback has anything to do with it and it seems isolated... not an issue with the feed itself from network...

it only happens during those graphics... lots of movement going on... most of the pixels are changing at once... might be error correction freaking out because there's too many errors and dropping frames as a result...

i can assure you there are top men working on it...

If that’s the case why does the issue take about 8 seconds to appear? I assumed since it occurs during network programming (thus their feed) there would not be any satellite tune in.

I suggested it being an issue for the cloud playout because that is now where everything is switched and processed for ABC including live news which sends a link to the servers.

Archived