Telemundo Center Opening

rkolsen

The new Telemundo Headquarters which was announced in February 2016 is now opening its doors to its first employees. If you look on social media (#TelemundoCenter) an open house was held for employees this weekend.

The Telemundo Center consists of 475,000 sq ft of main building consisting of offices and studios; 100,000 sq ft of warehouse space; house upwards of 1300 employees; and cost upwards of $250 million.

There are 13 studios ranging from 800-8,000 sq feet which will be connected by an almost pure IP network according to TVNewsCheck.

Naturally being in Florida the building is designed to handle hurricanes has a waterproof shell. I’m not sure if the building is any of the main hurricane evacuation zones - something which they had to do last year with Hurricane Irma.

[MEDIA=twitter]975066976962957312[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]975233084172984320[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=instagram]BgO4Vl4ARp1[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=instagram]Bbmov5SDamt[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=instagram]BgRzyVoF7l9[/MEDIA]

Sounds pretty cool. With that number of studios, I assume it's meant to be Telemundo's version of 30 Rock.

While there’s definitely more studios than 30 Rock I am not sure it’s the same. I don’t think every studio gets a control room and imagine most are setup for telenovelas.

I should say it sounds like based on the TVNewsCheck article that any studio can be routed into any control room. But my thinking is that they were not going to outfit a complete control room dedicated to a studio (maybe soundstage would be better) that is predominately for telenovelas.

Now this is going back 10+ years to NBC Burbank but when Days went HD they used the HDC-1000 series hard and handheld cameras. They were connected through what I assume is the house HD-SDI infrastructure to a VTR is room where it was recorded for offline editing. I think it’s similar today except that everything’s recorded to a server. There’s really no need for any fancy production cameras can do 4K as chances are 4K master copies will never see the light of day (and take up a ton of space).

Also worth noting WTVJ and WSCV are staying put. I think they are more centrally located at the WTVJ building isn’t even 20 yet. I am not sure if the NBC News Bureau (which I believe is in some office building) is moving in - although it would make perfect sense.

Here’s a view of the main atrium/cafe. You can see what I believe are the newsroom and other work spaces overlooking atrium -which serves as a cafe. The building appears to use a lot of natural light.

[MEDIA=instagram]BgQ1A4gncke[/MEDIA]

Sometimes I have trouble editing posts on iPad (both Safari and Chrome), so @Weeters feel free to merge. The control rooms look spacious. I remember seeing one either for sports or news at their old HQ that was cramped. Instead of having multiple benches in rows for different producers all looking at a central monitor wall they had a center island with desks facing both walls. Each wall had the same monitor wall and multiviewer layout. Creative use of space I thought and may enable more collaboration as your face to face.

There’s really no need for any fancy production cameras can do 4K as chances are 4K master copies will never see the light of day (and take up a ton of space).

Using 4K cameras and down converting to 1080 is always an option. It does give you incredibly sharp pictures. I recently worked a show where we used three JVC HM750U 1080i HD cameras and one Panasonic DVX200 running 4K but outputting a 1080i signal over HD-SDI. The "prosumer" DVX200 picture looked much better than the "professional" 750Us.

Editing a show in 4K and tossing the ISOs after could be another way of doing things. Presumably they could offer the 4K copies for streaming later.

Using 4K cameras and down converting to 1080 is always an option. It does give you incredibly sharp pictures. I recently worked a show where we used three JVC HM750U 1080i HD cameras and one Panasonic DVX200 running 4K but outputting a 1080i signal over HD-SDI. The "prosumer" DVX200 picture looked much better than the "professional" 750Us.

Editing a show in 4K and tossing the ISOs after could be another way of doing things. Presumably they could offer the 4K copies for streaming later.

True. Also the TVNewsCheck article inferred that it would be used as a testing ground for the rest of NBCU. It will be interesting to see what’s outfitted with what. It sounds like the core will be IP but other things like cameras will undergo HD-SDI conversion for routing.

Additionally I think 30 Rocks getting all new control rooms this year. Where there’s a standardized or similar layout for everything. So in theory any control could quickly changed to any studio. I don’t see NBC putting in SDI only equipment.

I don’t think there are any cameras that offer a direct IP output (at full 4K 12G resolution) as there are different standards (but they seem to be becoming interoperable now). I know some of the O&Os (WNBC and KNSD) have been getting the GV LDX 86 (I think) handheld series. The kind that have a 4K sensor but requires a license upgrade to use it. However I think the network still likes their Sony’s for studio use (even though the LA bureau I think is Ikegami) and Panasonic’s for field use.

I can't get over how much $$$$$ that Comcrap is spending at the network and O/O levels. Just amazing. I'm so used to companies that would rather squeeze and cut their way along.

The networks and most stations are making money and rating well. I'm not sure about recent months but Telemundo stations have come in number 1 in their newscast timeslots in the demo and some case viewers regardless of language. Telemundo also has been beating Univision and sometimes is coming in fourth place.

They are investing in decent programming and giving it time to develop an audience compared to the GE days where if a show didn't do well in its first two episodes it was cancelled.

The networks and most stations are making money and rating well. .

Also thanks to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act the equipment deductions and deprecation rules make purchasing new equipment a sweet deal for companies looking to grow.

The networks can thank our ass grabbing leader for that one.

• 2 weeks later...

[MEDIA=instagram]BhYQRpjFQDa[/MEDIA]

Look at all those feeds.

[MEDIA=instagram]BhW9V6DDuar[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=instagram]BhXzVoThMlM[/MEDIA]

Edit: Here’s a report they did on Noticiero Telemundo http://www.telemundo.com/noticias/2018/04/09/abre-sus-puertas-la-nueva-sede-de-telemundo-en-miami

Per WTVJ:

Employees will have access to a variety of amenities including an indoor courtyard, local barista, multi-stage food court, pantry rooms, training rooms, wellness rooms, viewing room, game room, and 60+ conference rooms, in addition to onsite car wash service, dry cleaning drop-off service, electric car charging stations, manicure/pedicure, and wellness/fitness activities including yoga, massage, meditation and aromatherapy.[/url]

Sounds like a tech start up with those amenities.

Also worth noting many of those amenities will stop employees for leaving campus.

However I imagine most of the “wellness” type of places such as the fitness center, yoga, massage, manicure/pedicure are mainly for the benefit of the stars of the telenovelas filmed there. The average employee probably doesn’t have enough break time for a manicure or massage. However I could see plently taking a yoga class, working out or playing in the game room.

I imagine there are similar amenities at 30 Rock for employees in their building (and the neighboring ones), Universal City and soon to be the Comcast Center / Comcast Technology Center.

Also worth noting many of those amenities will stop employees for leaving campus.

Guess how they kept the newsmen "on campus" in the old days...

"A fully stocked bar...and a few good looking broads to answer the phones , take dictation...and rip the wires."

You just wait and see what happens to those perks once some good old fashioned "budget cuts" hit the place.

Guess how they kept the newsmen "on campus" in the old days...

"A fully stocked bar...and a few good looking broads to answer the phones , take dictation...and rip the wires."

You just wait and see what happens to those perks once some good old fashioned "budget cuts" hit the place.

Maybe there will be a free trial period during the grand opening but after that I imagine you will have to pay for it. You have to pay similar services on the big Hollywood lots. I imagine there will be days where the company offers free lunches or massages. Probably when a new movie or premiere of a telenovela comes out they’ll offer free viewings maybe during or after work.

I imagine game rooms and the pantry will be free.

I imagine there will be days where the company offers free lunches or massages. ...

I imagine game rooms and the pantry will be free.

It's just one big ruse to steal the data of the employees...

I learned that from that Zuckerstien kid.

• 1 month later...

Al Rojo Vivo (Red Hot) moved to Telemundo Center today. Started off with Maria Celeste welcoming a singer at the front door and they were walking through the atrium to the studio. Well I was expecting something new but the studio appears to be an exact copy of the one they left in Hialeah.

My Spanish is rusty. But I caught 22 miles of cable and 7 studio for football (makes sense given the World Cup).

Edit: The set they had in Hialeah debuted in 2017. The main area had LED tiles while the sides were green screened and appeared to use the Star Tracker motion tracking AR technology if part of the green screen appeared on screen. I don’t think they would decommission the set take it apart move it 20 minutes north and reconstruct the set in a long holiday weekend.

Archived