Sinclair and Tribune Part 2: The Redux

Weeters

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And as posted in the other thread, Free Press has brought evidence of standing to court which reads in part:

"Neither this nor any other Court has held that organizations must identify particular viewer-members to obtain standing to review an FCC ownership rulemaking," Free Press told the court. "While standing claims can be raised at any time, Petitioners’ reasonable belief was reinforced because after the 2009 Summers decision, similar standing claims have gone unchallenged in this Court."

What's intresting about this is the fact that Free Press admitted that had mistakenly believed that the record already supported that standing, though argued it had reason for believing that was the case. So I don't know which way the courts should lean towards because right now it's 50-50 (could go either way) so we'll see what the courts have to say about this

spectrum bait?

Too late for that. I suspect just the ability to more efficiently capture political in two states (MO and IL) with newscasts would increase the value of the station.

Even a mid-market buyer like a Nexstar would do well here (I think Hearst or Scripps would be a decent fit for St. Louis or Indianapolis, but each of those is not quite them). It'd probably need to be someone with experience building news ops from scratch, which is why Nexstar would be a good fit (see WATN, which is in a rather comparable market structurally).

Too late for that. I suspect just the ability to more efficiently capture political in two states (MO and IL) with newscasts would increase the value of the station.

IL is a solid blue state, MO is a safe republican state at the presidential level but still has competitive down ballot races

In Sinclair’s defense, Nexstar is a big offender of this with WKBN/WYTV, WBRE/WYOU, or any other one of its Big-4 twin sticks as well.

WKBN/WYTV predated Nexstar - and even LIN... it was New Vision (and shell Parkin) that did the consolidation back in 2007. At least Media General recently gave WYTV a separate "look" for the newscasts despite using the same personnel.

WKBN/WYTV predated Nexstar - and even LIN... it was New Vision (and shell Parkin) that did the consolidation back in 2007. It was Media General that recently gave WYTV a separate "look" for the newscasts despite using the same personnel.

Fixed!

Even a mid-market buyer like a Nexstar would do well here (I think Hearst or Scripps would be a decent fit for St. Louis or Indianapolis, but each of those is not quite them).

Except that Scripps is already in Indianapolis via WRTV.

Even a mid-market buyer like a Nexstar would do well here (I think Hearst or Scripps would be a decent fit for St. Louis or Indianapolis, but each of those is not quite them). It'd probably need to be someone with experience building news ops from scratch, which is why Nexstar would be a good fit (see WATN, which is in a rather comparable market structurally).

Hearst could pair KDNL with KMBC like Meredith does with KCTV and KMOV. But I dont see Hearst wanting to invest in what is essentially a start up operation.

Nexstar would probably be a better fit because they do have a track record in starting news operations from the ground up. Even if we do complain about them being on the cheap side.

Nexstar would probably be a better fit because they do have a track record in starting news operations from the ground up. Even if we do complain about them being on the cheap side.

Can that market support another news operation???

If so...then will that newscast be one of upmost quality...or just more crap?

We know crap sells...

And we know sex sells...

When you mix sex with crap you end up with a fetish.

I think STL will be just fine with the current crappy news operations already in town.

Trust this....No operator is going into STL to "make a difference" cuz those days are long gone.

It’s been a couple of years since I’ve seen revenue projections for the St. Louis market but for the top 3 stations wasn’t all the great, about on a par with mid 30 market top 3 stations. It’s very doubtful that another news operation would bring in new viewers or new advertising money, it would be taking viewers and advertising money from the other stations.

With St. Louis having low growth and an aging population it’s highly doubtful the market could support another news operation.

Might as well call off the merger and call it a day (or as Chris Ripley suggested just let it die) because this deal has more people against the merger than there are for the merger

As Myron has said, Sinclair isn’t worried because they still got Pai.

Might as well call off the merger and call it a day (or as Chris Ripley suggested just let it die) because this deal has more people against the merger than there are for the merger

Business is not stopped in America by organizations who have agendas. This merger is going through. Period.

Business is not stopped in America by organizations who have agendas. This merger is going through. Period.

I'd be amazed if this merger with THIS amount of opposition from BOTH sides goes through and gets done, regardless of the outcome from the courts related to the UHF Discount (therefore, the merger)

I'd be amazed if this merger with THIS amount of opposition from BOTH sides goes through and gets done, regardless of the outcome from the courts related to the UHF Discount (therefore, the merger)

The thing is, now there are more major stakeholders in this besides Sinclair.

A key component of New FOX's strategy and success going forward hinges on it getting those stations once the merger goes through and generating that additional football revenue.

This is quickly becoming one of those "too big to fail" scenarios where a lot of things can go bad and a lot of jobs are at stake if this doesn't proceed. While I personally find that a bit lousy, it may be reason enough to bend the rules and let this go through now.

Even Newsmax opposed the merger.

Are the shareholders of Sinclair against this deal ?

Are any laws being broken ?

Sinclair is doing what the govt is asking for.

So if they comply with request of the govt there is NO reason NOT to grant the transaction.

The "news coverage will suffer" is no longer a valid excuse in the land of the "Information Super-Highway"

There is plenty of news and information available to everyone...and plenty of different views from all over the political spectrum. All available to anyone in the USA for free.

Sinclair skewing right is just tough titties...the vast majority of US broadcasters skew left...that's called freedom of speech.

If the alt-left , antifa, the dems, camp bernie or The Clinton Foundation want to buy a bunch of TV stations to spew the liberal word then there is nothing stopping them.

It's called freedom of speech.

And some of us fought for that right...and some of my friends ( and maybe yours) died for that right.

A right that covers both democrats, republicans...even the commies.

Sinclair may be a bunch of jerks, assholes, bean counters...alt-right...whatever.

But they deserve that same "tolerance" you afford to others in the community.

As Myron has said, Sinclair isn’t worried because they still got Pai.

If Mignon Clyburn does not vote (remember, she resigned recently) should either Brendan Carr or Michael O'Rielly defect from Pai, then it's deadlocked with a 2-2 vote.

Not that I expect a deadlock in the least, but that would be hilarious to witness.

Are the shareholders of Sinclair against this deal ?

Are any laws being broken ?

Sinclair is doing what the govt is asking for.

So if they comply with request of the govt there is NO reason NOT to grant the transaction.

The "news coverage will suffer" is no longer a valid excuse in the land of the "Information Super-Highway"

There is plenty of news and information available to everyone...and plenty of different views from all over the political spectrum. All available to anyone in the USA for free.

Sinclair skewing right is just tough titties...the vast majority of US broadcasters skew left...that's called freedom of speech.

If the alt-left , antifa, the dems, camp bernie or The Clinton Foundation want to buy a bunch of TV stations to spew the liberal word then there is nothing stopping them.

It's called freedom of speech.

And some of us fought for that right...and some of my friends ( and maybe yours) died for that right.

A right that covers both democrats, republicans...even the commies.

Sinclair may be a bunch of jerks, assholes, bean counters...alt-right...whatever.

But they deserve that same "tolerance" you afford to others in the community.

Wow. Usually, Eat, you're the jolly jokester here on TVNT, but now this deal has pushed you over the edge.

Archived