Sinclair and Tribune Part 2: The Redux

Weeters

It always amuses me when people act like Tribune hasn't "ruined" stations itself.

NewsFix anyone? WPIX still isn't anywhere close to where it used to be, either. And outside of a handful of stations (WGN, KTLA,) Tribune stations are largely mediocre as is.

The ex-KWGN staff says hello.

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It always amuses me when people act like Tribune hasn't "ruined" stations itself.

NewsFix anyone? WPIX still isn't anywhere close to where it used to be, either. And outside of a handful of stations (WGN, KTLA,) Tribune stations are largely mediocre as is.

And even then, Tribune has been seriously stretching the resources of WGN, WJW and KTLA through their continuous rounds of news expansions. WJW doesn't have as much of a syndicated programming inventory as they really should, and the current ownership limbo isn't helping matters.

WITI is the template for "Tribune mediocre". I held out a lot of hope for improvements having an owner 90 miles away when they bought Local TV. All they really did was get rid of the bulky Newscenter set and give the weather department a much better studio/weather deck, but other than that except for graphics/music, a 2004 WITI newscast has the same feel as it does in 2018.

Tribune has been rudderless and adrift for years. The WB going away and the Times Mirror merger not panning out seems to have really messed them up, in addition to Zell's LBO.

The Zell fiasco brought aboard Randy Michaels, whose attempt to turn WGN 720 into a literal clone of 700 WLW (the talk radio behemoth that was, and remains, his most notable success story) backfired horrendously. And lest I forget the classic tales of salacious behavior that took place in Randy's office.

Really, ever since the Tribune stations lined up with the CW, it's been mistake after mistake. Even buying LocalTV was a mistake as it made them into a broadcast chain composed of large-market (and news-intensive) CW affils, mid-market Fox affils (including the majority of O&Os spun off by the network a decade ago), and a chain of small-market big four affils once owned by the New York Times.

And remember, LocalTV was assembled by... Randy Michaels, right before he took the job at Tribune. IIRC, he didn't immediately relinquish control of the chain, right as the mergers with KTVI-KPLR and KWGN-KDVR took place. That would be like selling one of your key stations to a car dealership you contr-- HEY WAIT A MINUTE

Buying Local TV seems to have created a weird hodgepodge. It feels like Tribune ought to pick one specialty and stick with it. Having those big-market stations would be great if they could tap into that effectively.

They are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place though. If they dumped the big-market stations it's likely that most of them would be sucked into duopolies and they'd never get them back. If they dumped the smaller stations, well, they'd end up beholden to the networks like the other big chains are. I can't imagine Tribune would really miss WPHL, KDAF, WDCW, KIAH, WSFL or KRCW that much though. (I know Miami and Portland aren't in the top ten but they're still millstone-y netlet stations)

Honestly, without Tribune, The CW wouldn’t even have a presence in most of the top 10 markets.

Well......maybe they could. Just move it to those independent stations CBS owns in a couple and bring in other groups for the rest. I could see KTXH as one station that could have picked up CW. But that's a conversation for another day.

Honestly, without Tribune, The CW wouldn’t even have a presence in most of the top 10 markets.

And Equity's dumb stubbornness to not associate with the CW at all (along with their bizarre decision to build analog television stations out without digital simulcasts six years before the format was killed) did them in.

I read these theories about how the CW did in Pappas and borked Tribune and...they're not true, really. Tribune is still around just fine, while Pappas was a dinosaur overloaded with debt. The CW programs 20 hours (formerly 21) a week out of 168. Stations still have to fill 88% of the rest of the broadcast week. Tribune didn't adjust the right way, and along with their backbiting BTS, that screwed them up more than a bad CW season ever could.

And Equity's dumb stubbornness to not associate with the CW at all (along with their bizarre decision to build analog television stations out without digital simulcasts six years before the format was killed) did them in.

The sign on with an analog channel could be technically limited based on bandwidth. I forget at one point they weren’t allowing stations to sign on with both - it was one or the other. If it’s true that they signed on several years before the conversion there may not have been enough DTV viewers at the time to sign on.

Please tell me you're not trying to blame Tribune's woes on the CW.

Not even. The network wasn't and isn't the problem, and could be argued that it was a major boost to the company overall.

Tribune's issues (on both the broadcast and newspaper side) go far deeper, and they started to come home to roost, especially with Zell's disastrous LBO in 2008.

When they had to unload WLVI months after signing the groupwide CW affiliation pact, that should have been seen as a sign of trouble afoot.

Pai is a buffoon, but he kicked Sinclair in the groin and went against his own “boss” in the process. I can’t fault the IG.

So, in other words, if Pai had approved Sinclair-Tribune deal then the IG would've founded that Pai was making dereg moves to benefit Sinclair.

But, since how the merger is now dead, the IG has decided that there was no evidence that Pai was giving favorable treatment to Sinclair

Is this true or is it false?

So, in other words, if Pai had approved Sinclair-Tribune deal then the IG would've founded that Pai was making dereg moves to benefit Sinclair.

But, since how the merger is now dead, the IG has decided that there was no evidence that Pai was giving favorable treatment to Sinclair

Is this true or is it false?

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, every day would be Christmas.

If you can't complete a merger when everyone (ranging from President Trump (who's still salty about this) to Ajit Pai of the got-damn FCC, who you still lied to in spite of the fact that this is a republican-led FCC) was rooting for you and doing everything they could to ensure that your merger gets completed, that's your own fucking fault. Sinclair, get the heck over it. How about not lying next time unless that's too difficult for y'all to do.

Archived