Sinclair and Tribune Part 2: The Redux

Weeters

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They would have conflicts in the top 10 markets, except Philly.

I don't think Fox will acquire Tribune itself, they're just looking at acquiring specific NFL markets and markets that are tied to another station that's an NFL market (example, KSTU along with KDVR/KWGN and KTVI/KPLR with WDAF) as well as stations that are in State Capitols (KTXL)

I don't think Fox will acquire Tribune itself, they're just looking at acquiring specific NFL markets and markets that are tied to another station that's an NFL market (example, KSTU along with KDVR/KWGN and KTVI/KPLR with WDAF) as well as stations that are in State Capitols (KTXL)

I wonder whether Fox would go after a station that is currently not a Fox affiliate and convert it to Fox.

They're just trying to be in NFL markets and markets that are the top 20 or have the potential to be in the top 20.

[quote name='Glimmer']Tribune has renewed the Fox affiliations of eight stations; interestingly, all were rumored or outright set to be divested to FTS. [URL]https://deadline.com/2018/08/tribune-fox-renew-affiliations-of-eight-local-tv-stations-1202440670/[/URL][/QUOTE] [QUOTE="T.L. Hughes, post: 215604, member: 1964"]Note, though, it doesn't cover some of the stations that FTS had purchased on the pretense of the Sinclair-Tribune merger being approved and finalized (such as KTXL and KSWB) as well as some that weren't even involved in said transaction and were intended to be Sinclair bait (WDAF, KTVI and WGHP).[/QUOTE] Fox owned seven out of those eight stations (KCPQ being the lone outlier here) prior to divesting them in 2008. And I believe @NEOMatrix is correct, they had 10 year deals that were set to end around this time (which makes me curious if WBRC is still under that deal or if Raycom renegotiated it to be with their Fox affiliates).

They're trying to go after WSFL.

Which I think is a move to, with their cash resources, to get Ed Ansin to name his price and actually meet it, not just for WSVN but for WHDH/WLVI. I don't think that Fox would want to enter a WJZY-on-steroids situation in a market with 2-3 Dolphins games a year and abysmal interest in the Marlins.

[QUOTE="Myron Falwell, post: 215853, member: 2210"]Fox owned seven out of those eight stations (KCPQ being the lone outlier here) prior to divesting them in 2008. And I believe @NEOMatrix is correct, they had 10 year deals that were set to end around this time (which makes me curious if WBRC is still under that deal or if Raycom renegotiated it to be with their Fox affiliates).[/QUOTE] Some of those stations were renewed in 2016. [URL]https://deadline.com/2016/09/tribune-fox-renew-affilation-agreement-six-tv-stations-1201819202/[/URL] [quote][URL='https://deadline.com/tag/tribune-broadcasting/']Tribune Broadcasting[/URL] has signed a multiyear deal with [URL='https://deadline.com/tag/fox-broadcasting-company/']Fox Broadcasting Company[/URL] to renew the Fox affiliations of six Tribune Media TV stations in California, Indiana, Connecticut, Michigan and Pennsylvania. They are KSWB San Diego, KTXL Sacramento, WXIN Indianapolis, WTIC Hartford, WXMI Grand Rapids and WPMT Harrisburg.[/quote]

In prepared remarks for Sinclair's Q2 earnings call, CEO Chris Ripley stated "In regards to the acquisition of Tribune Media Company, we are working with them to analyze approaches to the regulatory process that are in the best interest of our companies, employees and shareholders". The company also took a $39 million hit on ticking fees arising from financing commitments made to acquire Tribune.

In prepared remarks for Sinclair's Q2 earnings call, CEO Chris Ripley stated "In regards to the acquisition of Tribune Media Company, we are working with them to analyze approaches to the regulatory process that are in the best interest of our companies, employees and shareholders". The company also took a $39 million hit on ticking fees arising from financing commitments made to acquire Tribune.

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/220284/sinclair-2q-business-good-3q-looks-better/

Sinclair is NOT giving up, as expected. If there is any death of the deal, it will either be on the Tribune end, or from the regulators.

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/220284/sinclair-2q-business-good-3q-looks-better/

Sinclair is NOT giving up, as expected. If there is any death of the deal, it will either be on the Tribune end, or from the regulators.

Tribune will be holding a conference call tomorrow morning at 8am ET to coincide with their Q2 earnings report. The fact that they are having a conference call is a noteworthy sign, as Tribune has not held earnings conference calls for the past four quarters. They advised each time that this was "[d]ue to the Company's previously announced transaction with Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc.".

Tribune will be holding a conference call tomorrow morning at 8am ET to coincide with their Q2 earnings report. The fact that they are having a conference call is a noteworthy sign, as Tribune has not held earnings conference calls for the past four quarters. They advised each time that this was "[d]ue to the Company's previously announced transaction with Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc.".

That earnings report could simply consist of this song, and nothing else.

Interesting. I'm more used to earning calls occurring after the market closes, not before.

This cannot be a coincidence. It’s obvious Tribune timed it like this so they can publicly walk out of the deal right out of the gate, if not announcing an immediate deal with someone else to further undermine Sinclair.

Meanwhile, one of these other companies with an interest in Tribune is gonna be singing this song.

This is how Standard Media and others must be feeling right now.

Standard General will be lucky to get the small market scraps and others that will be not on the immediate radar of a Nexstar or a Gray or a whomever. They aren’t getting the “big three” - WPIX, WGN and KTLA - or any of the major Fox affiliates.

Meanwhile, Rupert Murdoch right now is all...

tenor.gif?itemid=7618321

This cannot be a coincidence. Tribune timed it like this so they can publicly walk out of the deal right out of the gate.

Standard General will get the small market scraps and others that will be not on the immediate radar of a Nexstar or a Gray or a whomever. They aren’t getting the “big three” - WPIX, WGN and KTLA - or any of the major Fox affiliates.

tenor.gif?itemid=7618321

Rupert's probably singing "It's Gonna Be Me" as well.

This cannot be a coincidence. It’s obvious Tribune timed it like this so they can publicly walk out of the deal right out of the gate, if not announcing an immediate deal with someone else to further undermine Sinclair.

Standard General will be lucky to get the small market scraps and others that will be not on the immediate radar of a Nexstar or a Gray or a whomever. They aren’t getting the “big three” - WPIX, WGN and KTLA - or any of the major Fox affiliates.

tenor.gif?itemid=7618321

In other words, the only thing Standard might get is the Graycom conflicts and nothing else correct?

In other words, the only thing Standard might get is the Graycom conflicts and nothing else correct?

Fox has their eyes set on the obvious prize: that is, most (if not all) of the O&Os they sold off, KCPQ, WSFL, and their pick of the Tribune Fox affiliates. Outside of that, it’s anyone’s guess.

I’m not putting much of anything in Standard General until they actually buy something. And even then, it’s a private equity-controlled company like Newport once was. And we all know what happened to Newport...

Fox has their eyes set on the obvious prize: that is, most (if not all) of the O&Os they sold off, KCPQ, WSFL, and their pick of the Tribune Fox affiliates. Outside of that, it’s anyone’s guess.

I’m not putting much of anything in Standard General until they actually buy something. And even then, it’s a private equity-controlled company like Newport once was. And we all know what happened to Newport...

I say Fox would be interested in buying back stations in markets above DMA #25 (so a Top-20 market) beyond that, I see Meredith, Hearst, Gray (as Sinclair proved you can buy other companies at the same time you're going after that bigger fish) and possibly, Nexstar as likely suitors for Tribune's stations. I just don't see one company being able to acquire all 42 Tribune stations even with the UHF Discount

I say Fox would be interested in buying back stations in markets above DMA #25 (so a Top-20 market) beyond that, I see Meredith, Hearst, Gray (as Sinclair proved you can buy other companies at the same time you're going after that bigger fish) and possibly, Nexstar as likely suitors for Tribune's stations. I just don't see one company being able to acquire all 42 Tribune stations even with the UHF Discount

I have to agree with Myron about KCPQ becoming a new Fox O&O. Yet, I agree with you on Fox buying back stations in markets above DMA #25 as well.

Archived