Sinclair and Tribune Part 2: The Redux

Weeters

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scripps has seen better days but I'm sure their absence would cause more problems for the landscape than it would solve...

Fresh blood in management? A switch to one class of stock? I'd prefer that...

Pardon me if this is a silly question, I'm new here.

If the UHF discount is not reinstated, and the shell companies are coming under greater scrutiny, wouldn't this make it impossible for any of the larger companies to expand to any great degree? For example Fox, Nexstar, and Tegna are all very close to the 39% maximum. How on earth could Fox acquire the Tribune stations, or Tegna and Nexstar consider a merger without a change in the cap law?

Scripps has seen better days but I'm sure their absence would cause more problems for the landscape than it would solve...

Ok Vaporizing would cause a few environmental and hazmat issues. So maybe that's too extreme.

How about dropping reliance on social media, quit trying to "race" the internet on stories when you can be breaking your own original stories.

Quit trying to shock everyone into thinking everyone is "up in arms" because a few "shots rang out" in a "usually quiet neighborhood"....

Don't get so uptight if the crews smoke a little weed before a hairy liveshot in a crappy gang infested area...it mellows the crew out, and keeps them from throttling the producer screaming in her earpiece.

Agreed. The only reason Scripps gets a bad reputation on this forum is because of @EatNews' commentary of KGTV, which, despite being the dumpster fire that it is, is not representative of Scripps as a whole IMHO.

I thought it was also their decision to drop CBS Television Distribution's fare and replace it with their own cheaper, lower-quality stuff...and KMGH continuing to be KMGH, a raging dumpster fire (with signs of life lately however).

Agreed. The only reason Scripps gets a bad reputation on this forum is because of @EatNews' commentary of KGTV, which, despite being the dumpster fire that it is, is not representative of Scripps as a whole IMHO.

Don't blame me,

Blame the viewers.

BTW...

Don't bother to tell KGTV that they have been OFF cable (COX N.Coastal San Diego ch1010) for 4 days now...

Too bad nobody bothered to call them about it.

I'm sure there is a perfectly good explanation as to why they have been off-cable Ch 1010 all week ... we all know there is not a single electronic component that can't be located and shipped within 24 hours.

Don't tell KGTV ...

I don't want to fan the flames of that dumpster fire.

dumpster-fire.thumb.jpg.a4214405cae7a0296548d7bb45362373.jpg

There goes that KBEX-TV News Unit-X

1256128135_KBEXExteriorparking.thumb.JPG.e9857213dabf1fe5d73a28053b732dbf.JPG

I thought it was also their decision to drop CBS Television Distribution's fare and replace it with their own cheaper, lower-quality stuff...and KMGH continuing to be KMGH, a raging dumpster fire (with signs of life lately however).

At this point, I'd rather air "The List" then "Entertainment Tonight" with their obsessive coverage of Meghan Markle.

That and stupidly dumping the Sony game shows for inbred programming such as The List and Let's Ask America and also ripping off Sinclair's NewsCentral with the revamped Now.

It seems that as both a Sinclair and FOX cheerleader, Mr. Jessell is torn by this news.

One thing I don't get is why is Standard is listed as a loser of this deal even though Jessell said that Standard could get stations from Tribune? It makes no sense to me whatsoever about Standard being a loser of the merger collapsing (even though they probably won't get Sinclair's stations from this)

When do Sinclair's current licenses expire? It says they won't be able to renew them...

I could be wrong but it's anywhere between 2019 and 2023 is when the licenses expire, if Sinclair is told by the FCC they can't renew the licenses could the FCC actually break Sinclair up, or what can the FCC make Sinclair do if told they can't do the license renewals?

It seems that as both a Sinclair and FOX cheerleader, Mr. Jessell is torn by this news.

I don't think he's a Sinclair and Fox cheerleader; I simply think he's a fan of deregulation.

I'll add one more winner to Jessell's column: Ed Ansin. He was almost stripped of his last Big 4 affiliation, and he still may be should Fox acquire Tribune, but at least he should be able to breathe a little bit easier for now.

Tegna, I think, is in talks with Nexstar.

I would like to see Scripps liquidated.

Nexstar is right at the cap. They may be in talks, but they'd be just that, talks. With the latest scrutiny against Sinclair expanding, Nexstar maybe hesitant to try and grow and further pass their mounting debt around...

I don't think he's a Sinclair and Fox cheerleader; I simply think he's a fan of deregulation.

Jessell makes sure there's a weekly article on his site (whether it's from Variety or Deadline Hollywood) that touts Fox News' dominance in the ratings, so I think he does believe in the "mainstream media is fake news" narrative.

Jessell makes sure there's a weekly article on his site (whether it's from Variety or Deadline Hollywood) that touts Fox News' dominance in the ratings, so I think he does believe in the "mainstream media is fake news" narrative.

Then again there are articles that I've seen Jessell wrote I disagreed with but I thought he was spot on with his prediction that Sinclair-Tribune wouldn't be approved at the FCC but, what he didn't predict was the fact that the FCC would actually send the merger to an ALJ

You can be sympathetic to that belief and still write a column like he did admonishing Sinclair. It's by no means mutually exclusive.

When do Sinclair's current licenses expire? It says they won't be able to renew them...

The licenses are on an individual basis, so if they admit to lying to the FCC again, you're talking about years and years of litigation and appeals on every single station.

Sinclair, for all intents and purposes, needs to be on their best behavior at all times as a condition of getting their licenses renewed. Kinda like not getting caught with a toke before a probation officer.

Point being, Sinclair screwed themselves in a way that their M&A days are pretty much done for good unless they engage in "clean" transactions with no divestitures necessary.

One thing I don't get is why is Standard is listed as a loser of this deal even though Jessell said that Standard could get stations from Tribune? It makes no sense to me whatsoever about Standard being a loser of the merger collapsing (even though they probably won't get Sinclair's stations from this)

They're back at square one with no stations and have to start the process all over again with no guarantee they get any stations this time around.

That would fall under any definition of a loss.

And most of the KGTV and other issues goes back to the McGraw-Hill days where it seems like them, KMGH and WRTV have had absent management going back at least a decade more concerned about their textbook business than anything else. A new company and management isn't a magic balm when there was dysfunction going on before an acquisition. This also applies to several of Journal's stations that seem to be resisting Scripps management styles and continuing to depend on old Journal management styles that have proven ineffective (WTMJ and WGBA to a T).

From what Weeters has said, Journal (or at least WTMJ and WGBA) was a mess, but at least they were a different owner. It'd be nice if they hadn't been run into the fucking ground.

And yeah, McGraw-Hill was an also-ran for a long time. TV stations practically print money but the more time passes the more baffling it is that they didn't get out of the business before 2011. It feels like they would have been dead meat in the late '90s, or fed everything to private equity in 2007 or so.

And most of the KGTV and other issues goes back to the McGraw-Hill days where it seems like them, KMGH and WRTV have had absent management going back at least a decade more concerned about their textbook business than anything else. A new company and management isn't a magic balm when there was dysfunction going on before an acquisition. This also applies to several of Journal's stations that seem to be resisting Scripps management styles and continuing to depend on old Journal management styles that have proven ineffective (WTMJ and WGBA to a T).

In the case of KGTV plenty of MGH management carried over into Scrapps...and continues into this day.

ND becomes GM...etc.

A few golden boys.

Archived