Sinclair and Tribune Part 2: The Redux

Weeters

This could get really nasty.

I can't see a single court being as receptive to them as the FCC that shot them down. If they draw the wrong card, they may get an even worse punishment...

I hope Cox, Cordillera and others looking to sell are paying attention. I wonder if SBG tried to buy anything left over in the Gray-Raycom deal but had offers denied by them?

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope Cox, Cordillera and others looking to sell are paying attention. I wonder if SBG tried to buy anything left over in the Gray-Raycom deal but had offers denied by them?

They legally can't buy or sell anything right now until the FCC can give them the formal slap on the wrist from their lying over the buyer of WGN-TV.

And even if they had that slap on the wrist and can conduct business again, would Cox and Cordillera WANT to do business with them in the first place after seeing what they did to Tribune?

Just reading that, you can sense the feeling of entitlement that Sinclair has. The same feeling that killed this merger.

Guess we shouldn't be surprised Sinclair hasn't learned their lesson by now.

They have long acted like big bullies, but that has gone to extremes now. They are basically acting like they can bully EVERY other company out there...

Is Sinclair "green with envy" because the Gray/Raycom deal is soon to get approved by the FCC and their merger with Tribune was scrapped? Sure looks like it.

Not to mention with a 13 month head start too. It's 100% Sinclair's fault, yet they don't seem to realize it and treat everyone else as the problem.

It doesn't matter what Tribune does at this point, all I ask out of Tribune is stop trying to sell all 42 statins to 1 company, you're way too big for that, you'd be a lot better off by selling the 42 stations in pieces

It doesn't matter what Tribune does at this point, all I ask out of Tribune is stop trying to sell all 42 statins to 1 company, you're way too big for that, you'd be a lot better off by selling the 42 stations in pieces

It's only 42 stations. I assume you're talking about valuation, that they're too expensive, which also doesn't fly. That being said, a private equity firm may be better able to take on the debt load if they acquired all 42 stations and related properties.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tribune-media-m-a-exclusive/exclusive-tribune-media-in-new-sale-talks-after-sinclair-deal-collapse-sources-idUSKCN1LL2RP

Possible buyers mentioned include (but are not limited to) Nexstar and private equity firms. We definitely need to spin off the thread at this point.

Okay. Why does the private equity firms want to come back to the broadcast business, after selling off a few years ago?

Okay. Why does the private equity firms want to come back to the broadcast business, after selling off a few years ago?

Your guess is as good as mine but in the case of Standard General, they would have never sold had one of the companies mentioned on this list didn't just have to have Media General.

Along those lines, there is a part of me who believes that had Media General not went with Nexstar, they'd have bought Tribune and/or Raycom eventually but that's for another thread.

It's only 42 stations. I assume you're talking about valuation, that they're too expensive, which also doesn't fly. That being said, a private equity firm may be better able to take on the debt load if they acquired all 42 stations and related properties.

The value of the 42 stations that they're worth for isn't the problem, the problem is wanting to acquire all of the 42 stations (New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles together would blow companies like Nexstar out of the water even with the UHF Discount and leave at least several companies a little room but not a whole lot of room to grow with the UHF Discount)

We definitely need to spin off the thread at this point.

You're the one who posted that here.

But in any case, here you go: https://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?threads/the-tribune-saga-part-3-new-sale-talks.17032/

Now we just need one of the moderators to lock and un-pin this thread (and maybe move the last few posts over).

Archived