Sinclair and Tribune Part 2: The Redux

Weeters

Which, in turn, would mean Fox would stay on WSVN, rather than move to WSFL. Kind of a shame, because I find it unfortunate that WSVN would remain the only local news from 7-10am, and I’m not crazy about its dystopian future news format. IMO, the Good Day format deserves some attention. I hope either on WSFL or WBFS.

*breathes sigh of relief* it's not that unfortunate. I mean sure WSVN also pre-empts some sports in favor news or paid programming, i mean maybe you're right. Sure I had to deal with 2 television switches, in '89 and '95. I just didn't want FOX to go into the wrong hands like Charlotte did.

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fox was going to acquire those stations from Sinclair, after the initial sale was completed. No Sinclair deal, no secondary Fox deal. That said, they'll surely make a play for those stations, and maybe more.

The Standard Media deal was also contingent on the Sinclair-Tribune merger being completed. However, while Sinclair rescinded its apps and Tribune did the same with theirs, the only related sale rescinded as part of the merger's collapse was those involving Fox. I haven't seen anything confirming that the Standard Media apps were rescinded.

The Standard Media deal was also contingent on the Sinclair-Tribune merger being completed. However, while Sinclair rescinded its apps and Tribune did the same with theirs, the only related sale rescinded as part of the merger's collapse was those involving Fox. I haven't seen anything confirming that the Standard Media apps were rescinded.

I wonder if Standard are aware of the legal troubles that Sinclair is having and are perhaps trying to get as many Sinclair stations as they can before the FCC (potentially) revokes the licenses of some or all of the Sinclair stations (including those involved in the deal between Sinclair and Standard)

Which doesn’t make sense because those deals with Standard are totally dead. Moreover, Chris Ripley said in the post-mortem company email last week, “for those stations that were designated to be divested, welcome back.”

[quote name='oknewsguy']I wonder if Standard are aware of the legal troubles that Sinclair is having and are perhaps trying to get as many Sinclair stations as they can before the FCC (potentially) revokes the licenses of some or all of the Sinclair stations (including those involved in the deal between Sinclair and Standard)[/QUOTE] If the FCC really does revoke licenses, I’ll drive from Cleveland to San Diego and have a beer with @Eat News before he eats me alive. That type of action takes years to happen, followed by years of appeals and litigation... and to be honest, a private equity firm like Standard General has better things to do than wait like that.

[QUOTE="Myron Falwell, post: 216767, member: 2210"]If the FCC really does revoke licenses, I’ll drive from Cleveland to San Diego and have a beer with @Eat News before he eats me alive. That type of action takes years to happen, followed by years of appeals and litigation... and to be honest, a private equity firm like Standard General has better things to do than wait like that.[/QUOTE] As much as I would love that beer...I'm inclined to agree with you about the yanking of tickets. If I'm Sinclair I want this stuff to be resolved quickly and through the "Administrative" channels and not the legal ones. The previous FCC commissions were allowing some of this crap, I don't see the current admin wanting to prolong any of this. Sure Sinclair will take a hit, but there is a huge risk of opening a giant can of sardines where EVERYBODY gets investigated and takes a hit...and it's all drawn out over years and years. I see a quick deal being made and everyone getting back to business real quick. make a deal Sinclair. If the commission wants a "sacrificial ticket", then give it to them. In the end... Sinclair might get a wacking on the pee-pee, along with some others from the FCC...but the civil issues with the courts will still be a problem. Sinclair will write all the losses off on the taxes anyway. If they do lose a ticket it will be because Sinclair will surrender some crappy station. Best to make a deal with a quick resolution so they can move on and resume trying to make money.

A side note:

FCC chair: White House called about Sinclair-Tribune deal

WASHINGTON (AP) — The chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, an independent agency, said Thursday that a White House official called to talk about a proposed merger between Sinclair Broadcast Group Inc. and Tribune Media Co.

Ajit Pai told a Senate panel that Don McGahn, the White House counsel, called for a “status update” on the agency’s action on the deal.

He said McGahn “saw something in the news and wanted to know what our decision was,” but did not express an opinion.

Now Nexstar may be looking at Tribune.

Sook’s Nexstar may be next to chase Tribune Media merger

https://nypost.com/2018/08/20/sooks-nexstar-may-be-next-to-chase-tribune-media-merger/

There would be conflicts in Portland OR, Indianapolis, Hartford, Salt Lake, Norfolk, Grand Rapids, Harrisburg, Memphis, Scranton, Richmond, Huntsville, Des Moines, Johnstown, Fort Smith and Davenport.

Now Nexstar may be looking at Tribune.

There would be conflicts in Portland OR, Indianapolis, Hartford, Salt Lake, Norfolk, Grand Rapids, Harrisburg, Memphis, Scranton, Richmond, Huntsville, Des Moines, Johnstown, Fort Smith and Davenport.

Wouldn't that be something, half of those markets wouldn't even be conflicts if Sook didn't just have to have Media General...

I don't think Sook is worried about the conflicts, which he'll be more than eager to toss overboard. He has to be wanting the "Big Three" of WPIX, KTLA and WGN, not to mention WPHL, KDAF, WDCW and KIAH. Pair those with KRON (which as bad as they suck, is still a news-heavy indie in market #8) and Nexstar winds up with stations in the eight largest markets in the country.

It's obvious Tribune is going to be broken up, as every logical buyer has too many conflicts to make a clean deal possible.

I think Nexstar will only walk away with the Big Three, plus KDAF/KIAH and maybe a few others but there's no way Nexstar is going to be able to acquire Tribune outright if anything them, Fox and a third party candidate will most likely split the difference for the Tribune stations

I think Nexstar will only walk away with the Big Three, plus KDAF/KIAH and maybe a few others but there's no way Nexstar is going to be able to acquire Tribune outright if anything them, Fox and a third party candidate will most likely split the difference for the Tribune stations

With all due respect, that’s pretty much what I just said. No one buyer can purchase Tribune as a whole, the company is just too big and sprawling.

Is Nexstar even healthy enough to make that kind of a partial purchase though? The debt they racked up with all their recent acquisitions has to be insane. Something's gotta give with this eventually.

I don't think Sook is worried about the conflicts, which he'll be more than eager to toss overboard. He has to be wanting the "Big Three" of WPIX, KTLA and WGN, not to mention WPHL, KDAF, WDCW and KIAH. Pair those with KRON (which as bad as they suck, is still a news-heavy indie in market #8) and Nexstar winds up with stations in the eight largest markets in the country.

It's obvious Tribune is going to be broken up, as every logical buyer has too many conflicts to make a clean deal possible.

As I mentioned before, given that Nexstar seems to be fine with standalone CW stations like KASW, Tribune's "Big 3" would be perfect for them.

Is Nexstar even healthy enough to make that kind of a partial purchase though? The debt they racked up with all their recent acquisitions has to be insane. Something's gotta give with this eventually.

Didn't Apollo just recently try to buy Nexstar? If do, then that makes me question whether or not Nexstar can make the purchase.

Since this thread is becoming less about Sinclair's failed acqusition of Tribune and more about what Tribune's moves will be after the fact, we do need to split this thread. Maybe call it, Tribune: The Epilogue or Tribune's Next Strike.

Since this thread is becoming less about Sinclair's failed acqusition of Tribune and more about what Tribune's moves will be after the fact, we do need to split this thread. Maybe call it, Tribune: The Epilogue or Tribune's Next Strike.

“Tribune Sale II: Electric Boogaloo”

Wouldn't that be something, half of those markets wouldn't even be conflicts if Sook didn't just have to have Media General...

It could be worse...he could be a hoarder and collect cats.

TV stations don't smell like cat poop....usually.

catman.jpg.80cf75e23c74955f0d60be8ad06623e3.jpg

Nexshit buying Tribune would be bad. They will ruin the Tribune stations. Look at what happened to ex-MG station WHTM. They ruined it.

It always amuses me when people act like Tribune hasn't "ruined" stations itself.

NewsFix anyone? WPIX still isn't anywhere close to where it used to be, either. And outside of a handful of stations (WGN, KTLA,) Tribune stations are largely mediocre as is.

Nexshit buying Tribune would be bad. They will ruin the Tribune stations. Look at what happened to ex-MG station WHTM. They ruined it.

Yeah because WGNO got gored to the white meat when Nexstar bought them. Oh wait.

As for WHTM, they were already headed for fucking themselves over but Nexstar just accelerated a process that originated under previous owners.

Archived