Sinclair and Tribune Part 2: The Redux

Weeters

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They can always tack on a caveat that says that they must continue to air these shows for several years after ownership changes hands.

I'm sure Sinclair would demand they air all the political shows and must-runs (including future ones they may come up with) as well...

Well, the company can’t do anything until they settle with the DOJ and FCC first. Sinclair is in limbo until then and can’t sell any stations, let alone buy any.

Then you have the $1B lawsuit brought on by Tribune. They should settle out of court, but nooooo, Chris Ripley said that Sinclair will fight it in court. Why? So they can lose that, too? Unless Lionel Hutz is alive and well and practicing law in Hunt Valley, that’s an insane statement for Ripley to make and has the makings of groupthink run amok.

In the event of any financial duress brought about by them stupidly not settling with Tribune and losing bigly in court, don’t be surprised to see private equity firms buy into Sinclair to save it, but in doing so, will erode David Smith’s iron-clad control of the company. And deservedly so.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/8/14/class-action-suit-to-be-filed-against-sinclair

FTVLive reports there’s now going to be an additional class action suit filed against Sinclair. I smell Enron kind of trouble!

Kahn Swick & Foti, LLC partner, former Attorney General of Louisiana, Charles C. Foti, Jr., reminds investors that they have until October 9, 2018 to file lead plaintiff applications in a securities class action lawsuit against Sinclair if they purchased the Company’s shares between February 22, 2017 and July 19, 2018.

The law firm says that Sinclair and certain of its executives are charged with failing to disclose material information during the Class Period, violating federal securities laws.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/8/14/class-action-suit-to-be-filed-against-sinclair

FTVLive reports there’s now going to be an additional class action suit filed against Sinclair. I smell Enron kind of trouble!

Of note, July 19 is the cutoff date; the ALJ was referred by the FCC on July 16.

Unless there is something pretty significant about the company that we aren’t privy to, this lawsuit seems slightly ... off? Or am I totally missing something here?

Those are kind of...bog standard?

Searching for "failing to disclose material information during the Class Period" give others this firm has promoted...

TAL Education - fraudulently overstating profits

Gogo - disappointing earnings

and on and on and on

Also “shares of [insert company name here] plummeted following the news” lol

Of note, July 19 is the cutoff date; the ALJ was referred by the FCC on July 16.

Unless there is something pretty significant about the company that we aren’t privy to, this lawsuit seems slightly ... off? Or am I totally missing something here?

Also “shares of [insert company name here] plummeted following the news” lol

Read that again Myron

Kahn Swick & Foti, LLC partner, former Attorney General of Louisiana, Charles C. Foti, Jr., reminds investors that they have until October 9, 2018 to file lead plaintiff applications in a securities class action lawsuit against Sinclair if they purchased the Company’s shares between February 22, 2017 and July 19, 2018.

So in other words, some shareholders and former shareholders have less than two months to get their shit together and speak up saying they were involved with Sinclair between February of last year and July of this year. That's going to be a lot of Plaintiffs, I hope they have good lawyers.

Read that again Myron

So in other words, some shareholders and former shareholders have less than two months to get their shit together and speak up saying they were involved with Sinclair between February of last year and July of this year. That's going to be a lot of Plaintiffs, I hope they have good lawyers.

Oh fffff... shit.

Well, the company can’t do anything until they settle with the DOJ and FCC first. Sinclair is in limbo until then and can’t sell any stations, let alone buy any.

Then you have the $1B lawsuit brought on by Tribune. They should settle out of court, but nooooo, Chris Ripley said that Sinclair will fight it in court. Why? So they can lose that, too? Unless Lionel Hutz is alive and well and practicing law in Hunt Valley, that’s an insane statement for Ripley to make and has the makings of groupthink run amok.

In the event of any financial duress brought about by them stupidly not settling with Tribune and losing bigly in court, don’t be surprised to see private equity firms buy into Sinclair to save it, but in doing so, will erode David Smith’s iron-clad control of the company. And deservedly so.

Let me guess, they'd horn in like Standard General did with Media General and flip the whole thing or sell it off in pieces within a few years?

Also, I'm surprised I haven't heard about Chris Ripley potentially being made the scapegoat for all this...

Let me guess, they'd horn in like Standard General did with Media General and flip the whole thing or sell it off in pieces within a few years?

Or when private equity flexed their muscle at the debt-ridden Cumulus and ultimately forced the Dickey brothers out in favor of Mary Berner, with the clear intent to take Cumulus through bankruptcy after a string of purchases by the Dickeys with little to no ROI.

Or how Bain Capital foolishly bought out Clear Channel right at the economy imploded in 2008, and have never shaken off the $20B in debt.

Also, I'm surprised I haven't heard about Chris Ripley potentially being made the scapegoat for all this...

Give it time. The company is totally paralyzed by groupthink and yes men... if it’s not Ripley, it’s Scott Livingston or David Smith himself.

[quote name='mre29']At this point, we may want to close this thread and start a separate thread for Sinclair's legal issues.[/QUOTE] [quote name='televisionguy16']It's about that time. @Weeters if you'll do the honors of splitting all of that.[/QUOTE] Let's call it one of the following: [B][I]Sinclair and Tribune Part 3: The Aftermath Sinclair and Tribune Part 3: The Fallout Sinclair and Tribune Part 3: This time, it's personal Sinclair and Tribune Part 3: Tribune Strikes Back Sinclair and Tribune Part 3: Shit just got real Sinclair and Tribune Part 3: The Final Frontier Sinclair and Tribune Part 3: Tribune's Revenge Sinclair and Tribune Part 3: Sinful Sinclair and the Deathly Hallows Sinclair and Tribune Part 3: The End or Just the Beginning? Sinclair and Tribune Part 3: Who's the Bitch Now, Huh?[/I][/B]

Let's call it one of the following:

Sinclair and Tribune Part 3: The Aftermath

Sinclair and Tribune Part 3: The Fallout

Sinclair and Tribune Part 3: This time, it's personal

Sinclair and Tribune Part 3: Tribune Strikes Back

Sinclair and Tribune Part 3: Shit just got real

Sinclair and Tribune Part 3: The Final Frontier

Sinclair and Tribune Part 3: Tribune's Revenge

Sinclair and Tribune Part 3: Sinful Sinclair and the Deathly Hallows

Sinclair and Tribune Part 3: The End or Just the Beginning?

Sinclair and Tribune Part 3: Who's the Bitch Now, Huh?

DAMN!

I apologize if this question was already answered about what happened to the Fox stations that fox was going to buy from tribune? And Sinclair? Are tribune and Sinclair going to keep those stations are they required to sell them as they made agreement with fox?

I apologize if this question was already answered about what happened to the Fox stations that fox was going to buy from tribune? And Sinclair? Are tribune and Sinclair going to keep those stations are they required to sell them as they made agreement with fox?

Fox was going to acquire those stations from Sinclair, after the initial sale was completed. No Sinclair deal, no secondary Fox deal. That said, they'll surely make a play for those stations, and maybe more.

Which, in turn, would mean Fox would stay on WSVN, rather than move to WSFL. Kind of a shame, because I find it unfortunate that WSVN would remain the only local news from 7-10am, and I’m not crazy about its dystopian future news format. IMO, the Good Day format deserves some attention. I hope either on WSFL or WBFS.

Archived