Sinclair and Tribune Part 2: The Redux

Weeters

The shambling remains of Media General, and the mess that private equity created with that mess come back from the dead again.

Does KPLR get bought under a failing station waiver then? I'm surprised none of these had any WCIV or WBMA IP transfers going on into subchannels.

I'm pretty sure KPLR was in the top 4 so I imagine that Meredith will have to apply for a top 4 waiver in order to keep KPLR and KMOV together

This discussion related to the divestitures needs to be moved to the other Sinclair/Tribune thread, have another thread dedicated to the divestment announcements created or something of a like please and thank you

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Following on from the other thread and the press release:

s1-png.5957

(Also, WPIX would be kept by SBG outright)

Fast thoughts:

-Would KMOV + KPLR give Meredith too much control over advertising revenue in St. Louis? It does set up a KTVI/KDNL combo that could be to KDNL's serious benefit. Remember, there aren't many stations in STL so any further consolidation poses issues.

-Standard Media's getting a lot of the dregs and also stations that for the most part depend on others (WXMI and WPMT excluded). Variety's article notes that "Nine of the smaller-market stations will be acquired by Standard Media, backed by hedge fund Standard General. Broadcasting veteran Deb McDermott has been recruited to serve as president-CEO of Standard Media."

-The TBA is almost certainly Fox.

-Stirk sees limited use, basically for stations that are already dependent on others. I don't know if KUNS could do all that well alone, really.

-KDVR and KWGN would be broken up, I guess?

"Standard Media" ... another shell?

No it's not a shell it's a company that will be owned by hedge-fund group Standard General (which helped with the Young Broadcasting bankruptcy process among others)

That is correct.

Omg hallelujah!

Dear Standard Media,

Take over all 42 Tribune Media stations if you can.

Sincerely, the entire TVNT community and democracy everywhere.

(Don't mean to bring politics in here)

Why can't Tegna stepped and get KDAF and KIAH, it would've been a perfect fit for WFAA and KHOU.

Yeah. They would've made perfect duops. All of this sucks.

33 and 39 will continue to suck in their markets for a long time to come.

Following on from the other thread and the press release:

s1-png.5957

(Also, WPIX would be kept by SBG outright)

Fast thoughts:

-Would KMOV + KPLR give Meredith too much control over advertising revenue in St. Louis? It does set up a KTVI/KDNL combo that could be to KDNL's serious benefit. Remember, there aren't many stations in STL so any further consolidation poses issues.

-Standard Media's getting a lot of the dregs and also stations that for the most part depend on others (WXMI and WPMT excluded). Variety's article notes that "Nine of the smaller-market stations will be acquired by Standard Media, backed by hedge fund Standard General. Broadcasting veteran Deb McDermott has been recruited to serve as president-CEO of Standard Media."

-The TBA is almost certainly Fox.

-Stirk sees limited use, basically for stations that are already dependent on others. I don't know if KUNS could do all that well alone, really.

-KDVR and KWGN would be broken up, I guess?

4 questions I have about this latest divestment plan:

1. Isn't KPLR already in the top 4 and if so why would Meredith and Sinclair be allowed to own 4 stations all in which in the top 4?

2. I'm pretty sure Standard will have the cash flow neccessary to start up news departments for stations like KDSM, WRLH and WOLF (I mean isn't Standard Media backed by Standard General who's a hedge-funded company?)

3. Why would Stirk even purchase KUNS, KMYU and KAUT if they only see limited usage out of this when those 2 (KMYU/KAUT should be in a duopoly at either Standard Media (KOKH) and Fox (KSTU) besides that isn't KMYU licsensed to St. George?)

4. Why would KDVR and KWGN be broken up unless both are in the top 4 in terms of ratings in Denver?

So wait, Standard Media will be brand new and not connected to Sinclair in any way?

It’s an entity controlled by the Standard General hedge fund. Said hedge fund previously invested into Young Broadcasting post-bankruptcy, that ownership stake passed over to Media General until the Nexstar merger. They will have no connection to Sinclair at all.

As for KAUT, it makes me curious if their IP will move to another station so Stirk can run it like most of their other stations.

This tells you everything about Sinclair's vision:

While we continue to believe that we had a strong and supportable rationale for not having to divest stations, we are happy to announce this significant step forward in our plan to create a leading broadcast platform with local focus and national reach. The combined company will continue to advance industry technology, including the Next Generation Broadcast Platform, and to benefit from significant revenue and expense synergies.”

It’s an entity controlled by the Standard General hedge fund. Said hedge fund previously invested into Young Broadcasting post-bankruptcy, that ownership stake passed over to Media General until the Nexstar merger. They will have no connection to Sinclair at all.

As for KAUT, it makes me curious if their IP will move to another station so Stirk can run it like most of their other stations.

Keep in mind that KAUT is an Indie so Sinclair has 2 options:

1. Move all syndicated programming from KAUT to one of the KOCB or KFOR's subchannels

2. Sell KAUT to Standard General (to form a duopoly with KOKH) with Sinclair keeping KFOR and KOCB

Correct me if I'm Wrong Regarding the Sinclair-Tribune Conflict Stations:

Seattle: KZJO joins SBG with KUNS shelled to HSH and KCPQ going elsewhere

St. Louis: KTVI joins SBG with KDNL with KPLR going to Meredith

Utah: KMYU to HSH with KSTU going elsewhere

OKC: KFOR joins SBG with KAUT joining HSH and KOKH going to Standard

Piedmont: WGHP joins SBG with WXLV going to Standard

West Michigan: WXMI to Standard

Richmond: WTVR joins SBG with WRLH going to Standard

Des Moines: WHO joins SBG with KDSM going to Standard

Susquehanna: WPMT joins Standard with SBG retaining existing properties

Scranton: It appears that WNEP will join SBG with Standard taking over as "babysitter" for WOLF et al.

What will happen in Hampton Roads?

What will happen in Hampton Roads?

If there is a divesture there (assuming WGNT is in the same boat as KPLR), fingers crossed WGNT will end up at Standard Media as well.

Also, I still believe that Cunningham, Howard Stirk and the other shells still won't be able to acquire those stations. Fox will still get KZJO, KWGN (the duopoly breaking up makes no sense and it'd be a bit stupid for Sinclair to keep KWGN on its own), and KMYU. KOKH will still have a duopoly partner, whether it be KAUT or KOCB. As for WGN, WPIX, KDAF and KIAH, pick an owner not affiliated with or connected to Sinclair. Here we go again with this. It's a step in the right direction, though for Sinclair to slowly accept reality.

As for KPLR, out of all stations Meredith could have acquired, why that one? If they wanted to do local news, they have a MNT subchannel they can do that on. This is far from a complaint about them, in fact, if this had been them acquiring Tribune, we would all support that (I mean, be real here, who wouldn't). However, I just cant see KPLR in a big 4 duopoly. If KPLR could be in one, then what was the point of Sinclair/Tribune selling KPLR and not KDNL?

I’m sorry, guys. I’ve just never been this emotionally pissed off at an acquisition of a media company before. (Warning: rant ahead).

Had Sinclair just acted like a normal broadcast company, I would’ve been fine with it. But after the recent controversies with Epshteyn, Hyman, Allman, and of course, the infamous “fake news” script, I’m just disappointed that this deal is more than likely to go through. And I hate that Sinclair is using shells to get around this. Some of these Tribune-owned stations are legendary stations that even anyone living outside their markets have recognized at one point, and now they’ll be remembered for airing force-fed, right-wing trash in their newscasts. It’s disappointing and also maddening. I’ve now begun to see the downsides of consolidation. Local news shouldn’t be like this.

And I’m just angry at David Smith and Chris Ripley lying through their teeth about their company and saying that they present “both sides”. What bullshit.

No self-respecting journalist wants to work for Sinclair. And fuck the FCC for relaxing ownership rules.

Rant over.

Correct me if I'm Wrong Regarding the Sinclair-Tribune Conflict Stations:

Seattle: KZJO joins SBG with KUNS shelled to HSH and KCPQ going elsewhere

St. Louis: KTVI joins SBG with KDNL with KPLR going to Meredith

Utah: KMYU to HSH with KSTU going elsewhere

OKC: KFOR joins SBG with KAUT joining HSH and KOKH going to Standard

Piedmont: WGHP joins SBG with WXLV going to Standard

West Michigan: WXMI to Standard

Richmond: WTVR joins SBG with WRLH going to Standard

Des Moines: WHO joins SBG with KDSM going to Standard

Susquehanna: WPMT joins Standard with SBG retaining existing properties

Scranton: It appears that WNEP will join SBG with Standard taking over as "babysitter" for WOLF et al.

Why would Fox want KCPQ but not KZJO and Meredith to buy KPLR when Sinclair is trying to get their own duopoly with KTVI and KDNL (which if there's someone that has got to go in STL, it would be KPLR just can't see KPLR in a duopoly when you already got KTVI/KDNL in a duopoly)? Some of the decisions that Sinclair has made today in picking/choosing buyers makes no sense to me

This tells you everything about Sinclair's vision:

While we continue to believe that we had a strong and supportable rationale for not having to divest stations, we are happy to announce this significant step forward in our plan to create a leading broadcast platform with local focus and national reach. The combined company will continue to advance industry technology, including the Next Generation Broadcast Platform, and to benefit from significant revenue and expense synergies.”

That is why the deal is taking as long as it's been taking Mr. Ripley because you continue to insist on using Deerfield/Cunningham/Stirk as your sidecars for "shelling out" stations when you know that the Justice Department isn't going to allow you to do that, if you would stop insiting on using shells this deal would get done, but of course this is Sinclair we're talking about here and nothing surprises me anymore at this point

I am glad that WXMI isn't going to Sinclair... However with a brand spanking new company, I just don't know what to expect from this...

From the looks of things it's going to be like Media General mixed in with LIN Media and Young Broadcasting all mixed together

Just happy that Fox17 wasn't sidecar to a Sinclair shell Standard Media should just be called the New Media General I don't like the name Standard for a TV group or at least come up with a better name. DOJ will finally approve the deal which could have been done sooner if Sinclair didn't drag it's feet.

Archived