2018 MLB season

Viper550

Yes, all the Fox RSNs besides YES have the new black Fox Sports graphics from the 2017 postseason. It was inevitable.

Meanwhile, WFXT is actually airing several Red Sox spring training games on Thursdays; they're NESN productions but being promoted as "Boston 25 Sports". Could they be testing the waters for putting games back on broadcast TV in the regular season? Is there even a reason why they did this?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WUSA won't be airing any Nats games this year, no word if they'll have any OTA games or if they'll be cable exclusive outside of the few nationally televised FOX games on Saturday afternoon/evenings.

What happened? Did they not renew with MASN or did CBS protest?

I posted it in the station thread, but WGN will be overhauling their 7 year old look with a modified, italicized version of their new logo.

[ATTACH]5575[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]5574[/ATTACH]

How long before Sinclair shuts down WGN Sports? They may need a second RSN in Chicago because I do not believe that NBC Sports Chicago can handle the increased workload. ESPN and AT&T, I'm looking in your direction.

I believe that in order for the CBS theory to work, WJZ would not be televising Orioles games in Baltimore.

In my opinion, should the Nationals want to place games on OTA, they need to sell their stake in MASN, weasel their way out of that TV deal and move to NBC Sports Washington, and WRC, where they belong. At least they can have in market streaming on NBCSW.

How long before Sinclair shuts down WGN Sports? They may need a second RSN in Chicago because I do not believe that NBC Sports Chicago can handle the increased workload. ESPN and AT&T, I'm looking in your direction.

1. Sinclair hasn't bought Tribune yet.

2. There is a Cubs-themed RSN coming soon.

I'm guessing CBS had a shit fit, because they primarily aired games on Saturday and Sunday afternoon, which sent golf over to 9.2 (which was Bounce at the time, now Justice Network). That or their contract with Justice says they can't send regular programming over there, I know Bounce and MeTV affiliates are usually okay with their parent network sending regular programming to their channel in the event of longform breaking news/WX coverage.

MLB will probably still end up reaching more people than if they just aired the games locally and on MLB.tv.

Agreed. I'm sure mid-week day games have some of the worst ratings. For people who are allowed to watch streams at work, this deal doesn't really matter, but I'm sure people who can stream at work definitely like this package.

Do you have to sign up for Facebook to watch? Because I refuse to do that.

Still waiting for MASN to get new graphics....

I think they're waiting for these graphics to reach 10 years of age before they replace them. Aren't they like on year 5 or 6 with them?

Still waiting for MASN to get new graphics....

I think they're waiting for these graphics to reach 10 years of age before they replace them. Aren't they like on year 5 or 6 with them?

YouTube evidence suggests this is actually the 10th year. I searched "MASN 2009" and saw these graphics in use from a video dated 6/30/2009. Back then, the score graphic was a bar at the top of the screen, but it was still the same graphics package.

In my opinion, should the Nationals want to place games on OTA, they need to sell their stake in MASN, weasel their way out of that TV deal and move to NBC Sports Washington, and WRC, where they belong.

Easier said than done. In order to head to DC, the Nats were pretty much forced into that lopsided MASN deal in order to get approval for expansion.

Easier said than done. In order to head to DC, the Nats were pretty much forced into that lopsided MASN deal in order to get approval for expansion.

I'm not sure what the Nationals were thinking at the time but what I can say is they didn't need to take a lopsided deal that MASN at the time offered and just went to Comcast

BTW, did Comcast ever bid for rights to televise the Nationals when they relocated from Montreal in 2005?

I'm not sure what the Nationals were thinking at the time but what I can say is they didn't need to take a lopsided deal that MASN at the time offered and just went to Comcast

BTW, did Comcast ever bid for rights to televise the Nationals when they relocated from Montreal in 2005?

IIRC they were on the former CSN Mid Atlantic for select games of their inaugural season.

MLB owned the team at the time and accepted it from Angelos in order to get the approval to move the team from Montreal to the DC/Baltimore area.

IIRC they were on the former CSN Mid Atlantic for select games of their inaugural season.

I'm surprised that Comcast didn't pick up rights to televise games involving the Nationals (that's another topic for another day, however)

I'm surprised that Comcast didn't pick up rights to televise games involving the Nationals (that's another topic for another day, however)

As an appeasement to Angelos for allowing the Nats to move to D.C., they were granted a lopsided television rights deal that controlled the Nationals tv rights for 20 years. Each year, the Nats get a larger % stake in MASN.

Comcast/FOX/other tv providers were not given the opportunity to bid on the Nats tv rights. More recently, Angelos was urged/nudged into selling MASN, but he refuses.

As an appeasement to Angelos for allowing the Nats to move to D.C., they were granted a lopsided television rights deal that controlled the Nationals tv rights for 20 years. Each year, the Nats get a larger % stake in MASN.

Comcast/FOX/other tv providers were not given the opportunity to bid on the Nats tv rights. More recently, Angelos was urged/nudged into selling MASN, but he refuses.

I think at some point MASN is going to split into networks dedicated to both the Nationals and the Baltimore Orioles but we'll save that for the speculation thread

I think at some point MASN is going to split into networks dedicated to both the Nationals and the Baltimore Orioles but we'll save that for the speculation thread

Negative. As long as Angelos controls MASN, splitting it up will never happen. There's a reason why both teams flip-flop between MASN1 and MASN2...

Negative. As long as Angelos controls MASN, splitting it up will never happen. There's a reason why both teams flip-flop between MASN1 and MASN2...

I mean something needs to be regarding that whole Nats/Orioles/MASN dispute if not, then it is what it is and we can't change a thing about it

I mean something needs to be regardinng that whole Nats/Orioles/MASN dispute if not, then it is what it is and we can't change a thing about it

It's been embroiled in legal battles for the last 2+years now. Eventually a judge will decide the fate of the network and Nats' tv rights. Until then, it's status quo.

Archived