2018 MLB season

Viper550

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know what quantifies a success, and of course the team and match makes a difference, but I noticed that at the end of today's game, the combined Facebook live stream by the Cubs and WLS had 5,700 viewers. For a Friday afternoon in September, that seems pretty good, and the online stream alone surely beat the rating for today's White Sox game OTA on WGN. That 5,700 equates to roughing a 1.6 rating.

Point being, TV ratings aren't telling the whole story, anymore, and the bean counters need to take notice.

1020782195_bandicam2018-09-2816-26-51-118.thumb.png.2869b38af0d5cb2e0093ad805f355bff.png

I don't know what quantifies a success, and of course the team and match makes a difference, but I noticed that at the end of today's game, the combined Facebook live stream by the Cubs and WLS had 5,700 viewers. For a Friday afternoon in September, that seems pretty good, and the online stream alone surely beat the rating for today's White Sox game OTA on WGN. That 5,700 equates to roughing a 1.6 rating.

Point being, TV ratings aren't telling the whole story, anymore, and the bean counters need to take notice.

[ATTACH=full]6571[/ATTACH]

Funny, I was under the impression that OTA Cubs and Sox games always rated high in Chicago. I guess only the Cubs.

Funny, I was under the impression that OTA Cubs and Sox games always rated high in Chicago. I guess only the Cubs.

Oh, damn, I had a major brain cramp. The viewership I referred to would translate to about a sixth of a ratings point (35,000 = 1.0). The Sox do way better than that. Somewhere in the mid-1's is normal for them; Cubs about 4-5 times that. Still, an extra 6K viewers is pretty good for a weekday afternoon telecast, available on ESPN to the national audience.

Was ESPN set to automatically get the tiebreaker games under the current MLB contract? They aired both the NL Central and West TBs today.

Also, on a side note, and of note to another network. Ernie Johnson will miss the postseason for health reasons. Confirmed this morning on his Instagram.

[MEDIA=instagram]BoZGABuhFRP[/MEDIA]

Yes, the current MLB contract awards ALL tiebreakers in both leagues to ESPN. Really sucks because ESPN has Monday Night Football, but all tiebreakers are always going to be on Mondays, so ESPN is always going to relegate the MLB Tiebreakers to day games. It's an ugly contract

Yes, the current MLB contract awards ALL tiebreakers in both leagues to ESPN. Really sucks because ESPN has Monday Night Football, but all tiebreakers are always going to be on Mondays, so ESPN is always going to relegate the MLB Tiebreakers to day games. It's an ugly contract

It's more than Monday Night Football. Potential travel arrangements play a factor, as well. The loser of today's 2nd game has to fly to Chicago for tomorrow night. Leaving LA late tonight would create a potential disadvantage. Granted, LA to Chicago isn't too bad, but what if was LA to Boston, instead? Day games give some breathing room, and the early game today would've been at 4ET, had it been the only one.

Was ESPN set to automatically get the tiebreaker games under the current MLB contract? They aired both the NL Central and West TBs today.

Also, on a side note, and of note to another network. Ernie Johnson will miss the postseason for health reasons. Confirmed this morning on his Instagram.

[MEDIA=instagram]BoZGABuhFRP[/MEDIA]

That’s disappointing. Blood clots are nothing to mess with. EJ has been going through a lot of stuff personally.

It's more than Monday Night Football. Potential travel arrangements play a factor, as well. The loser of today's 2nd game has to fly to Chicago for tomorrow night. Leaving LA late tonight would create a potential disadvantage. Granted, LA to Chicago isn't too bad, but what if was LA to Boston, instead? Day games give some breathing room, and the early game today would've been at 4ET, had it been the only one.

They still could have held the Milwaukee @ Chicago game at night. Cubs lose, they stay home. Brewers lose, they take a short trip back up to Milwaukee.

They still could have held the Milwaukee @ Chicago game at night. Cubs lose, they stay home. Brewers lose, they take a short trip back up to Milwaukee.

They could, but the entire Wrigleyville/City of Chicago/Cubs 'we can have the lights on here, here and here or else the neighbors will sue' rigamarole adds an incredible amount of complexity as it is (and that was on top a flash 'on-sale' with no limits that had the train between Milwaukee and Chicago full-up this morning). 12:05 was the best option nobody really would object to.

Also to note; Fox has the NL playoffs this year, so the likely awkwardness of the Brewers' Brian Anderson calling his own team's games with TBS (as he did in 2011 when Ernie was tending to his son's health) will be completely avoided (though as a Brewers fan I would have welcomed this, TBH, and he was neutral in '11 despite it).

They could, but the entire Wrigleyville/City of Chicago/Cubs 'we can have the lights on here, here and here or else the neighbors will sue' rigamarole adds an incredible amount of complexity as it is (and that was on top a flash 'on-sale' with no limits that had the train between Milwaukee and Chicago full-up this morning). 12:05 was the best option nobody really would object to.

Also to note; Fox has the NL playoffs this year, so the likely awkwardness of the Brewers' Brian Anderson calling his own team's games with TBS (as he did in 2011 when Ernie was tending to his son's health) will be completely avoided (though as a Brewers fan I would have welcomed this, TBH, and he was neutral in '11 despite it).

I do really enjoy Brian Anderson and Don Orsillo doing play-by-play. They were always the two best PBP on TBS's roster back when they had all 4 division series. Orsillo got cast aside when TBS lost 2 DS series to FS1. I'm glad Orsillo is getting another chance on TBS. I've always thought Ernie's strong suit was in the studio. It's a shame that Ernie's health has brought upon this scenario, however.

I do really enjoy Brian Anderson and Don Orsillo doing play-by-play. They were always the two best PBP on TBS's roster back when they had all 4 division series. Orsillo got cast aside when TBS lost 2 DS series to FS1. I'm glad Orsillo is getting another chance on TBS. I've always thought Ernie's strong suit was in the studio. It's a shame that Ernie's health has brought upon this scenario, however.

Have to admit, loved hearing BA's call on the Donaldson Dash in 2016 in Game 3 of the ALDS in Toronto.

Don Orsillo and Denis Eckersly will call the Indians-Astros series, while Brian Anderson and Ron Darling will call the Red Sox-Winner of the AL Wild Card on TBS. No word on who's gonna be the commentators for FOX and MLB Network in the NLDS.

And as a Sox fan, it would've been sweet if TBS let Orsillo and Eck to call the Sox series.

[MEDIA=twitter]1047160779714301954[/MEDIA]

Archived