2018 MLB season

Viper550

All-new graphics for ESPN this season, with a few similarities to the NBA and NCAA basketball looks, mainly in the scoring displays. Also new is a significant update to the theme song. While I didn't mind the old look, I love the new one.

[MEDIA=vimeo]262211020[/MEDIA]

Scoreboard:

Screenshot_2018-03-28-12-28-27.thumb.png.bb98232d292fd7ae725cd2a7669f9360.png

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WGN Sports has a new look for Opening Day:

[MEDIA=twitter]979400880658305025[/MEDIA]

It's too simplistic on the scoreboard. Give me team logos or at least team colors. Otherwise I think it looks great.

All the Fox RSNs, including YES, are using the augmented reality strike zone like ESPN now too.

YES, surprisingly, still has its own graphics; I find this a bit interesting, given how Big Ten Network suddenly decided to use Fox's boxy graphics this season rather than using its own.

Speaking of graphics, MLB on Facebook is a disaster

[MEDIA=twitter]981608135176503296[/MEDIA]

So that makes them and Sportsnet the only channels using a centered bar nowadays.

Unless Sportsnet randomly gives us a new graphics update that gets put on the NHL during the Stanley Cup playoffs.

I hope not, I'd hate to see them pull an ESPN and have one look for hockey and another look for baseball.

All the Fox RSNs, including YES, are using the augmented reality strike zone like ESPN now too.

YES, surprisingly, still has its own graphics; I find this a bit interesting, given how Big Ten Network suddenly decided to use Fox's boxy graphics this season rather than using its own.

Holy ugly. Wow.

This needs to be fixed.

There was a question somewhere if there were some musical differences in WGN's new opens (mainly in the bumper), depending on the team. I can finally say with certainty that the theme is the same for both, but damn, I still love the new orchestration. The string-like bed at the 25-second mark is my favorite part.

[MEDIA=twitter]982359052389888000[/MEDIA]

And the grand debut of Baseball Night in Chicago gets pushed to the low-rated NBC Sports Chicago+ because the White Sox blew their lead and were unable to finish their game in time.

And that just happened to be against my Tigers, who are barely any better, with only two victories this season so far. Even moreso since the Tigers have actually so far had more cancelled games than wins due to the lingering winter weather.

With the new pace of play rules in MLB this season, I'm just wondering if or when the networks will make "Mound Visit" dashes on their score bugs, similar to time outs, as each team gets 6/9 innings and one for each extra inning thereafter.

With the new pace of play rules in MLB this season, I'm just wondering if or when the networks will make "Mound Visit" dashes on their score bugs, similar to time outs, as each team gets 6/9 innings and one for each extra inning thereafter.

Every network I've seen has an indicator that pops up when a visit is made, but nothing constant. 2 of the 5 packages that I'm familiar with are brand new (Fox being a 3rd), and none have a permanent fixture. Maybe someday, but probably not for awhile.

Sportsnet is awkwardly dancing around how the broadcast doesn't exist, even citing "MLB restrictions" repeatedly and telling people to email the league, rather than just saying the game is on Facebook. In fact, CBC Sports' Facebook page actually shared the stream to its page just now.

If I were them, I would have embraced this. Maybe actually promote it, do an online version of Blue Jays Central streaming too

• 3 months later...

I grew up watching or listening to Tommy Hutton during Marlins telecasts, whether it was on FOX Sports Florida or the Marlins Television Network (which was mainly on WPXM - PAX now ION).

Welcome back Tommy. I'm watching him now as the Marlins walk-off against the Nationals tonight 2-1 in 10. He's only doing pre-game and post-game, unlike his previous role.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-marlins/fl-sp-marlins-tommy-hutton-returns-mon-20180611-story.html

• 3 weeks later...

Archived