WSLS moving to new building

newsie

When did they officially close the sale? Buying the building this year, renovating it, and then moving into it by the end of this year is a lot of work for a short (relatively speaking) amount of time.

Depends on how much work actually needs to be done. Since the building is a former warehouse with office space, some of the infrastructure is already there. The only major work needed would be to build the actual studio space as well as a newsroom for the station.

Also with a relatively new build a lot of the integration can be done off site. Assuming they’re going with a technical integrator everything can be racked and ready for move in. That’s how NBC does it for the Olympics on the technical end. Everything is set up, tested, cabled back in Stanford and they transfer it to where ever it needs to be and hook up the cables.

Plus this is a relatively green building where they can do what they want with out affecting other operations. No need to worry about doing something that will knock the station off air.

Hopefully they get all new equipment and stuff.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 2/27/2018 at 10:28 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

Of all of the spinoff stations, WSLS has benefited the most. Had Nexstar not already poured a lot of money into their FOX station in the market, WSLS would have probably joined the Nexstar fold instead.

But seriously, kudos to Graham for bringing WSLS to a new level!

WSLS and WVTM are probably the biggest winners of being split away from their longtime chains. I know WSLS has struggled all the way since the Park days, while WVTM was a distant fourth when it broke away.

I believe WSLS and WVTM have done better under their respective Graham and Hearst ownership.  When Media General owned them, they didn't do too good of a job with those stations.  Graham is moving WSLS to newer building.  Hopefully Hearst has plans to build new set for WVTM.

1 hour ago, GoldenShine9 said:

That is one impressive building. Now the challenge is building up the audience after 30-40 years of neglect (when did Park first buy WSLS?).

Oh don't worry. It will build up when you have Sinclair (WSET) and Nexstar (WFXR) news-producing stations. You'll see WSLS being a strong second behind WDBJ in the not-too-distant future.

4 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Oh don't worry. It will build up when you have Sinclair (WSET) and Nexstar (WFXR) news-producing stations. You'll see WSLS being a strong second behind WDBJ in the not-too-distant future.

I'd watch them.

28 minutes ago, Big Country News said:

Graham's CEO seems to be a very knowledgeable and hands-on leader.

May be why the group is so successful.

I mean... KSAT, WDIV and WJXT are #1 with KPRC, WKMG and WPLG up there in the ratings and WSLS making a comeback. Yeah they do take news seriously.

2 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

I mean... KSAT, WDIV and WJXT are #1 with KPRC, WKMG and WPLG up there in the ratings and WSLS making a comeback. Yeah they do take news seriously.

Man, I remember the days when people on here and Radio-Discussions were begging NBC to buy KPRC. Now I think those of us in the Boston area might be jealous of Houston. :classic_laugh:

2 hours ago, mre29 said:

Man, I remember the days when people on here and Radio-Discussions were begging NBC to buy KPRC. Now I think those of us in the Boston area might be jealous of Houston. :classic_laugh:

Isn't NBC about to have a brand-spanking-new media hub in Boston?

2 hours ago, mre29 said:

Graham Needs to sell 'PRC and 'DIV to NBC.

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

Plus, WDIV is Graham's flagship. 

Doesn't Graham technically not have a flagship since they left Detroit for Chicago? That said, being the flagship leaves them the most likely to be sold if history is any indication.

4 hours ago, mre29 said:

Not falling for this b8, m8. I used to love what was Post-Newsweek but 2002 soured me on them permanently.

2 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

Graham Needs to sell 'PRC and 'DIV to NBC.

They are in plum markets that they would have basically no opportunity to re-enter if they did sell them off.

Archived