Fox and Sinclair finalizing purchase of six stations

ColDayNews

It will be interesting to see what Fox does with WJW (again!)

Local TV and Tribune have merely acted as "caretakers" and very little has changed, aside from new newscasts, talent comings and goings (Dick Goddard retiring being the most significant) and the mutat---i mean bastardization of the first Fox O&O package.

And the set is the same one that Fox installed right before they sold off WJW. Are there any other Fox O&O's still on the original set from the "standardized" era?

Let's all hope that Fox puts MyNetworkTV up for sale...They were a major affiliate group, and their programming (or lack thereof) is the perfect place to bury all of the garbage coming out of Hunt Valley....

WHBQ/Memphis was on their set until 2015. Not sure if they’re still on the set or not.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool! I am so glad that there will be a third network-owned TV station in Seattle and that Salt Lake’s KSTU, and Denver’s KDVR would return to their Fox O&O roots

Me too. Fox played a big role in the establishment and growth of both stations (KDVR and KSTU) newscasts so hopefully they can continue the strong growth that has been occurring with both stations under Tribune.

Now the question remains is what will happen to KWGN?

KDFW and WNYW still have their 2006 set, while WTTG has parts of it in the weather center in their 2015 set.

12 year old sets on KDFW & WNYW. Wow.

KDFW is a pretty high rated station; I wonder why they're getting the shaft as far as getting a new set.

Me too. Fox played a big role in the establishment and growth of both stations (KDVR and KSTU) newscasts so hopefully they can continue the strong growth that has been occurring with both stations under Tribune.

Now the question remains is what will happen to KWGN?

I think KWGN will be acquired by Fox in a trade that would send WPWR/KTBC over to Sinclair (putting KEYE on the block) because I don't think that Sinclair is capable of building a station from scratch let alone, a full scale in house news department, also down the line WGN will be included in the trade

Is there even anything to sell with MyNetworkTV? It's basically a syndication service at this point.

As for KDVR, Beyond is way better than This Is The Place, but the Tribune Fox graphics are better than the Fox O&O stuff. I do hope Fox doesn't mess with the news product too badly though.

A bit fearful for my namesake.

It may be wishful thinking, but I think FOX should've purchased more of tribune fox affiliates (except in certain situations) just to speed up process, not just purchasing those in football markets. I understand Sinclair wanted to keep certain stations in important political states, but still...

I think KWGN will be acquired by Fox in a trade that would send WPWR/KTBC over to Sinclair (putting KEYE on the block) because I don't think that Sinclair is capable of building a station from scratch let alone, a full scale in house news department, also down the line WGN will be included in the trade

Fox easily could go with a long-term SSA and news-producing agreement for KWGN, sparing Sinclair the trouble of needing to build anything out. They don't necessarily need to buy the station.

Fox easily could go with a long-term SSA and news-producing agreement for KWGN, sparing Sinclair the trouble of needing to build anything out. They don't necessarily need to buy the station.

Or a time brokerage agreement; where Sinclair can hold the license while Fox manages the station and controls programming, news, sales, etc.

Let's all hope that Fox puts MyNetworkTV up for sale...They were a major affiliate group, and their programming (or lack thereof) is the perfect place to bury all of the garbage coming out of Hunt Valley....

I think you can get $15 for the satellite and those two Windows XP PCs with DVD rips playing in a Windows Media Player playlist. The Luken disasters are more networks than MyNetworkTV can ever claim to be.

12 year old sets on KDFW & WNYW. Wow.

KDFW is a pretty high rated station; I wonder why they're getting the shaft as far as getting a new set.

KDFW needs a new set BADLY. Some monitors on their current set have screen burn from the 2009 O&O look.

Or a time brokerage agreement; where Sinclair can hold the license while Fox manages the station and controls programming, news, sales, etc.

Either scenario is a very good possibility, could also have KCNC, KMGH or even KDVR (to keep the status quo) doing newscasts for KWGN

I think you can get $15 for the satellite and those two Windows XP PCs with DVD rips playing in a Windows Media Player playlist. The Luken disasters are more networks than MyNetworkTV can ever claim to be.

If anything, MyNetworkTV is a branded group of affiliated stations that would be easy to blow up and start a new network with. And this way, Sinclair can get the network they've always wanted without disrupting the major networks, and it will be up for the marketplace to decide if it's a viable network.....

If anything, MyNetworkTV is a branded group of affiliated stations that would be easy to blow up and start a new network with.

And even that's being generous. I doubt there's anything in the MNTV "affiliation" contract (service agreement?) that would require the stations currently running the MNTV programming service to affiliate with Sinclair's network, and Sinclair's controversial enough these days that a lot of those stations would be understandably skittish about it.

“I think KWGN will be acquired by Fox…” says oknewsguy.

“As for KDVR, Beyond is way better than This Is The Place, but the Tribune Fox graphics are better than the Fox O&O stuff,” says channel2. “I do hope Fox doesn't mess with the news product too badly though.” That would be great for FOX31 to crossover the Tribune FOX animations into the FOX-owned station era. Meaning KDVR KEEPING the Tribune FOX graphics after FOX31 becomes a FOX O&O once again. Also, take the Tribune graphics, and combine them with FOX O&O theme music BEYOND by Stephen Arnold, and you got yourself a winner.

This is CW2 KWGN. Proud to be owned by FOX, as is sister station FOX31 KDVR.

WFLD FOX32 and WPWR CW50 WAS a FOX-owned Duopoly.

Now, It’s KWGN/KDVR’s turn. CW2 and FOX31 - A FOX Television Station Duopoly.

WLVI would be a HELL of a lot better place for "NBC Boston" to land on....that is, if Ed Ansin is willing to sell.

But it could be a way for Ed Ansin to hold this over their heads in an "I told you so" way to the point that Comcast would do ANYTHING to buy WLVI.

But back to Fox....how long before they come knocking back to WFXT? Austin or Salt Lake City could be trade-bait markets.

According to FTVLIVE.COM FOX 7 in Austin might go to Sinclair which they already own CBS 42. The plot thickens because this rollercoaster will have twist and turns.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/5/10/sinclair-might-own-fox-austin-and-another-chicago-station

According to FTVLIVE.COM FOX 7 in Austin might go to Sinclair which they already own CBS 42. The plot thickens because this rollercoaster will have twist and turns.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/5/10/sinclair-might-own-fox-austin-and-another-chicago-station

It's not earth-shattering, Fox opened up those stations for Sinclair to acquire and mentioned it in the press release. Doesn't make it a 100% guarantee, but most signs point to yes.

Remember that Fox tried to float WPWR and KTBC to Tribune in exchange for KCPQ, and funny enough, that basically wound up happening with this deal.

so this means Fox is going to have 4 O&O stations in Florida:

WOFL - Orlando

WOGX - Gainesville

WTVT - Tampa Bay

and soon WSFL - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale.

And they'll have four O&Os in Cali. Prior to late 2014, they only had just one (KTTV 11).

It's not earth-shattering, Fox opened up those stations for Sinclair to acquire and mentioned it in the press release. Doesn't make it a 100% guarantee, but most signs point to yes.

Remember that Fox tried to float WPWR and KTBC to Tribune in exchange for KCPQ, and funny enough, that basically wound up happening with this deal.

I don't think KTBC was involved in that "proposed" deal. I only heard WPWR.

It may be wishful thinking, but I think FOX should've purchased more of tribune fox affiliates (except in certain situations) just to speed up process, not just purchasing those in football markets. I understand Sinclair wanted to keep certain stations in important political states, but still...

Florida, Ohio, Colorado are battleground states, but not Washington, California, or Utah, Texas might be in the near future

So Fox is going to have a California cluster in addition to the Texas and Florida clusters.

With ten Cali markets, Should the deal goes through, Fox will have O&Os in the four populous markets, Sinclair will still four Fox affils (Fresno, Bakersfield, Redding & Eureka). And NPG with two Fox affils (Santa Barbara & Palm Springs). NPG also owns the station in Yuma, which serves Southeastern Cali (including El Centro).

I came up with a couple possible logos once their acquisition goes through.

[ATTACH=full]6055[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]6056[/ATTACH]

I wonder how Seattle will react to the logo change. KTVU was a train wreck.

FOX now beats NBC and ABC in the California group with 4 stations compared to 3.

Archived