Fox and Sinclair finalizing purchase of six stations

ColDayNews

But let's be real again for a second, think about it. Sinclair has owned KDNL for years without a news department, hasn't tried to invest any money in formulating their own efforts. I don't consider the news share with KSDK or The Allman Report to be an effort.

So you have sat on these facilities for decades, made no effort to start a news department, made no effort to make the station competitive. Now, due to a technicality by acquiring Tribune, you're forced to sell off one of three stations. Sinclair could have easily sold off KDNL and been done with it once and for all, but instead they choose to sell off KPLR to Meredith who owns KMOV.

So now you're sitting in a unique situation. KTVI FOX 2 has two news teams spread out over two stations. Both teams, however, operate out of KTVI studios which theoretically makes the KPLR employees employed by KTVI.

No, Sinclair knew that they were doing. Selling KPLR to Meredith would give them the programming, the transmitter facility, and the station's advertising. Selling KPLR to Meredith would not include tangible assets shared between KTVI and KPLR.

So in essence you're seeing KDNL, who had been just barely getting by all this time, given an opportunity to launch a news department with KPLR staffers and finally be able to be a competitive station.

Who are the losers in this deal? Meredith and KPLR who will likely just create KMOV newscasts for KPLR anyways. The other loser on this is KTVI, who up until this point was the primary station of the two and under a resurgent KDNL could eventually become the secondary station in the partnership. Sinclair not giving up KDNL means Sinclair had this planned out all along to finally give the station a viable news product.

What better way to help the longtime viewers of KPLR get over the loss of their team when KMOV takes over their news than having the old team reemerge on ABC 30? It's ingenious.

You answered your own question. KPLR and KTVI have two strong news teams under one roof, two separated news products. KPLR is the news team KDNL hasn't had all these years. It's highly unlikely they will go through the effort to make this as painful as they can. Sinclair already owns the KDNL facilities, they need those to separate the news departments of KTVI and KPLR.

Besides, by giving Meredith KDNL and the CW affiliation, that comes with a lot more legal stuff and a lot more hoops to jump through for an already impatient Sinclair who wants this deal done yesterday.

Call it speculation, call it what you will. There's no way that Sinclair would have kept KDNL if they didn't know what they were doing. They now have a news product in St. Louis for their must-runs with KTVI, but they have a second station to also carry their must-runs in KDNL.

First off, the building was KDNL's, not KTVI, which moved in when Tribune entered into an agreement with LocalTV, then bought them outright. Second, who in their right mind, at this point, would even watch a news product on KDNL. After all these years, viewers learned to change the station. If Sinclair tries to start news, in their own style, on KDNL, it may be a high hill to climb if it ever registers in the ratings.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First off, the building was KDNL's, not KTVI, which moved in when Tribune entered into an agreement with LocalTV, then bought them outright. Second, who in their right mind, at this point, would even watch a news product on KDNL. After all these years, viewers learned to change the station. If Sinclair tries to start news, in their own style, on KDNL, it may be a high hill to climb if it ever registers in the ratings.

KDNL is required to air a certain amount of news programming as part of its ABC affiliation agreeement.

[quote name='NowBergen']First off, the building was KDNL's, not KTVI, which moved in when Tribune entered into an agreement with LocalTV, then bought them outright. Second, who in their right mind, at this point, would even watch a news product on KDNL. After all these years, viewers learned to change the station. If Sinclair tries to start news, in their own style, on KDNL, it may be a high hill to climb if it ever registers in the ratings.[/QUOTE] [quote name='broadcastfan9751']KDNL is required to air a certain amount of news programming as part of its ABC affiliation agreeement.[/QUOTE] Here's where you're wrong @NowBergen, KDNL has studio facilities in the Downtown West section of St. Louis. KTVI/KPLR have studio facilities in Maryland Heights so that part of your argument is invalid. If you bothered to read my past posts I laid it all out for you. KPLR's news team IS NOT going to Meredith. Sinclair will KEEP KPLR's news team because they are basically a part of KTVI's team. So they have two options, lay off all those people (which is possible) or their plan all along for keeping the god awful KDNL instead of KPLR has them moving the KPLR team to KDNL. Now that they don't air news in the form of the Allman Report, they have to air something per their affiliation agreement with ABC.

[quote name='KentBrockman']Here's where you're wrong @NowBergen, KDNL has studio facilities in the Downtown West section of St. Louis. KTVI/KPLR have studio facilities in Maryland Heights so that part of your argument is invalid. If you bothered to read my past posts I laid it all out for you. KPLR's news team IS NOT going to Meredith. Sinclair will KEEP KPLR's news team because they are basically a part of KTVI's team. So they have two options, lay off all those people (which is possible) or their plan all along for keeping the god awful KDNL instead of KPLR has them moving the KPLR team to KDNL. Now that they don't air news in the form of the Allman Report, they have to air something per their affiliation agreement with ABC.[/QUOTE] You misread my comment. The building on Ball Drive was KPLRs. KTVI moved in when Tribune made the agreement to run the station. I'm sure separately that Sinclair will make a deal to keep the buildiing. And KDNL has not aired any news in a very long time. Even using KTVI/KPLR staff, does not mean anyone will watch at this point. Especially with Sinclair's reputation.

Hold on...I thought KTVI and KPLR were one news organization, with separate on-air anchors but shared reporters.

Or have they been two completely separate organizations with their own reporters, editors, etc all this time?

Also, I agree: It would've been simpler to keep KPLR and sell KDNL to Meredith, with the two stations swapping affiliations beforehand.

I get the feeling Sinclair sees KDNL as the crown jewel here.

Hold on...I thought KTVI and KPLR were one news organization, with separate on-air anchors but shared reporters.

Or have they been two completely separate organizations with their own reporters, editors, etc all this time?

Also, I agree: It would've been simpler to keep KPLR and sell KDNL to Meredith, with the two stations swapping affiliations beforehand.

KTVI and KPLR share news departments, I believe they have separate anchors but Sinclair probably will have to hire more anchors for the new KDNL newscast.

I’m guessing swapping affiliations with KDNL and KPLR would cause more delays getting this deal done and probably not worth it, with KDNL being 3rd in revenue and KPLR fourth.

The one problem with that is you'd be swapping the IP and program inventories of both stations in order to close that deal so the overall merger could be cleared. It's not worth it, even for the "11" dial position.

KPLR's news department shares the same studio as KTVI's and doesn't have overlapped newscasts. For all intents and purposes, they have a combined news department, just like KWGN and KDVR in Denver.

Less that and more that they will have two big-4 affiliates in a borderline top-20 market, just like in Indianapolis. Tribune has been able to make the two autonomous news departments at WTTV and WXIN workable even with overlapping newscasts on both stations.

If I were Sinclair, I'd do everything possible to relaunch KDNL... new call letters, new everything, hell, a new PSIP if remotely possible. Treat it as a clean slate, albeit with a news department inherited from another station.

The one problem with that is you'd be swapping the IP and program inventories of both stations in order to close that deal so the overall merger could be cleared. It's not worth it, even for the "11" dial position.

KPLR's news department shares the same studio as KTVI's and doesn't have overlapped newscasts. For all intents and purposes, they have a combined news department, just like KWGN and KDVR in Denver.

Less that and more that they will have two big-4 affiliates in a borderline top-20 market, just like in Indianapolis. Tribune has been able to make the two autonomous news departments at WTTV and WXIN workable even with overlapping newscasts on both stations.

If I were Sinclair, I'd do everything possible to relaunch KDNL... new call letters, new everything, hell, a new PSIP if remotely possible. Treat it as a clean slate, albeit with a news department inherited from another station.

The WIAT/WATN approach might be the only way to make KDNL work. St. Louis, though, reminds me more of Memphis than Birmingham. Will viewers be willing to try a new option?

In the scheme of things, KPLR is mere "intellectual property". Instead of KTVI's people running it (through Tribune), it will be run by Meredith (and likely through KMOV's facility and staff). There may be a dedicated anchor that may be tied to the "station" itself, but Sinclair may simply take the people Tribune dedicated solely to KPLR and re-purpose them for KDNL.

This is one of the few times this has happened...where a duopoly partner "moves" across the street and is taken over by a competitor. There will have to be a period of time to transfer control of "things" (programming, logs and spots), and one day, KTVI's version of KPLR ceases to be, and KMOV's incarnation takes the airwaves on Channel 11.

After the transfer, Sinclair will have things they used to use for KPLR....that they can now use for KDNL, or however they decide to re-brand ABC 30.

In a way, it's sort of a win-win. Meredith gets a second voice that they can use to counter-program themselves like any netlet station can be used (being tied to KTVI made them make unorthodox counter-measures), and KDNL gets a shot of running a traditional newscast tied to an established brand in the St. Louis market. Now if Sinclair doesn't drive BOTH stations into the ground.....

[quote name='KentBrockman']Here's where you're wrong @NowBergen, KDNL has studio facilities in the Downtown West section of St. Louis. KTVI/KPLR have studio facilities in Maryland Heights so that part of your argument is invalid.[/QUOTE] Wouldn't surprise me if the current KDNL facility is sold to Meredith, and some parts of KPLR's operations are moved there, while any replacement newscasts on KPLR would originate from KMOV.

In the scheme of things, KPLR is mere "intellectual property". Instead of KTVI's people running it (through Tribune), it will be run by Meredith (and likely through KMOV's facility and staff). There may be a dedicated anchor that may be tied to the "station" itself, but Sinclair may simply take the people Tribune dedicated solely to KPLR and re-purpose them for KDNL.

This is one of the few times this has happened...where a duopoly partner "moves" across the street and is taken over by a competitor. There will have to be a period of time to transfer control of "things" (programming, logs and spots), and one day, KTVI's version of KPLR ceases to be, and KMOV's incarnation takes the airwaves on Channel 11.

After the transfer, Sinclair will have things they used to use for KPLR....that they can now use for KDNL, or however they decide to re-brand ABC 30.

In a way, it's sort of a win-win. Meredith gets a second voice that they can use to counter-program themselves like any netlet station can be used (being tied to KTVI made them make unorthodox counter-measures), and KDNL gets a shot of running a traditional newscast tied to an established brand in the St. Louis market. Now if Sinclair doesn't drive BOTH stations into the ground.....

This is EXACTLY the point I was making, although definitely easier to read. Thank you. I have trouble explaining myself sometimes.

Here's a question:

Could any of the shows from Twentieth Television move to or rejoin the stations that will become (or once again become) FOX O&O?

Only at the end of their respective affiliate agreements with other stations.

Meredith had missed their chance of getting a station in their hometown, KDSM, but NOPE, this company called “Standard Media” got it before Meredith did.

And it wouldn't surprise me if Sinclair did that on purpose. (Keeping the station that just happened to be within walking distance of Meredith HQ was probably icing on the cake.)

And it wouldn't surprise me if Sinclair did that on purpose. (Keeping the station that just happened to be within walking distance of Meredith HQ was probably icing on the cake.)

Which might also explain why Meredith only got KPLR and nothing else (even though they did had an opportunity to get a flagship station in Des Moines)

• 2 weeks later...

There is also an option for Fox to trade KTBC and WPWR to Sinclair in exchange for the following stations:

WJW/Cleveland - previously owned by the network from 1996-2008.

KDVR/Denver - previously owned by the network from 1994-2008.

WSFL/Miami - new acquisition

KTXL/Sacramento - new acquisition

KSTU/Salt Lake City - previously owned by the network from 1996-2008

KSWB/San Diego - new acquisition

KCPQ/Seattle - the network has wanted this affiliate for decades

Statement from Jack Abernethy - president of FOX Television Stations, Inc. and FOX News:

"This transaction illustrates Fox's commitment to local broadcasting and we are pleased to add these stations to our existing portfolio,” said Jack Abernethy, CEO of Fox Television Stations. “With this acquisition, we will now compete in 19 of the top 20 markets and have a significantly larger presence in the west, which will enhance our already strong platform. This expansion will further enrich our valuable alignments with the NFL, including our new Thursday Night Football rights, MLB and college sports assets. We are also happy to add many talented Tribune employees to our group, some of whom we know well."

21st Century Fox has also entered into new network affiliation agreements with Sinclair (and licensees of certain stations to which Sinclair provides services), and will grant Sinclair options to acquire two of its stations, the CW-affiliate WPWR in Chicago, IL, where FTS currently has a duopoly, and FOX-affiliate KTBC in Austin, TX for potential proceeds of approximately $15 million and $160 million, respectively.

The sale is expected to last six weeks, according to an email from Tribune CEO Peter Kern to employees:

Just a few minutes ago Sinclair Broadcast Group announced its divestiture plans for the remaining stations they intend to sell as part of the regulatory approval process for our merger.

Seven Tribune Media stations are the heart of this announcement—KCPQ (Seattle), WSFL (Miami), KDVR (Denver), WJW (Cleveland), KTXL (Sacramento), KSWB (San Diego), and KSTU (Salt Lake City)—and they will all be sold to Fox Broadcasting Company. I have attached the press release issued by Sinclair a few moments ago.

Fox has long been an important partner for Tribune Media. We are the largest Fox-affiliated station group in the country, so there is already great familiarity between our companies and our people, and I expect our stations will enjoy tremendous success as part of the Fox family.

Importantly for all of us, this announcement should set the stage for the FCC’s regulatory review to move forward. We expect the commission will soon open-up the period for public comment on the transaction, which will likely last for roughly 6 weeks.

We’ll keep you updated as the transaction moves forward and we can share more information.

Best,

Peter

The sale is expected to cost nearly one billion dollars, according to CNBC.

Archived