Fox and Sinclair finalizing purchase of six stations

ColDayNews

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WXIX/Cincinnati briefly used a version of these graphics back in 2007 in promos for their morning news and the 10pm news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkXKGWEqCJE <— FOX19 Morning News promo from 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YeavbIvVRc <— 10pm promo “The Most Powerful Name in Primetime News” sound familiar? And with Greg O’Neill!

I never realized that!

Also, that graphic at the beginning of the morning news promo looks familiar nowadays - it's from the the 2nd generation O&O look (you can see it at 0:44 in this demo reel)

[MEDIA=vimeo]17683240[/MEDIA]

I never realized that!

Also, that graphic at the beginning of the morning news promo looks familiar nowadays - it's from the the 2nd generation O&O look (you can see it at 0:44 in this demo reel)

[MEDIA=vimeo]17683240[/MEDIA]

This was also around the time they were trying to stunt with an FNC-style branding. Their newscasts, to this day, remind me of a Fox O&O’s newscasts. I wouldn’t mind seeing WXIX as Fox O&O, seeing as they’re trying to get as many NFL markets as they can. Aren’t they currently #1 in the mornings and at 10?

This was also around the time they were trying to stunt with an FNC-style branding. Their newscasts, to this day, remind me of a Fox O&O’s newscasts. I wouldn’t mind seeing WXIX as Fox O&O, seeing as they’re trying to get as many NFL markets as they can. Aren’t they currently #1 in the mornings and at 10?

I'm not sure about mornings, but I'm pretty sure they're #1 at 10pm.

Also...

- I don't think Raycom wants to get rid of WXIX anytime soon.

- Didn't Fox consider buying WSTR from Sinclair?

Yup, they’ve been starting at 4:30 a.m. since 2001.

Wait WHAT?! They've been up at 4:30 a.m. since 2001?! 17 years of waking Cincy viewers up at 4:30 a.m.? Not the first (KIRO did it in 1990) but certainly the longest, if true, 9 years before everyone else started doing it.

(Don't mean to go off-topic but this fact shocked me.)

You know what's really shocking? News at 4:30am in 1990.

I'll stop going off-topic after this post but... you know what's even more shocking? WVTM with weekend morning news at 4:30 a.m. (TitanTV, TV Passport and even Zap2it list it)

my guess at what happens to WJW is that they can keep their former O&O branding until they get the current gen Fox O&O graphics and maybe an updated set.

They’ve been phasing out their O&O branding gradually since 2015. They no longer use the 1st-gen graphics. They still use the Fox News inspired set from 2007 and the Greg O’Neill VO.

I'll stop going off-topic after this post but... you know what's even more shocking? WVTM with weekend morning news at 4:30 a.m. (TitanTV, TV Passport and even Zap2it list it)

There's actually demand for 4:30am news on weekends in the Birmingham area? That's nuts.

Is there anything new that's related to the whole Fox-Sinclair deal?

I think this whole deal has caused me to get pimples on my butt.

Anyway...

Don't you all think that 3 major companies placing "live" mics operating 24/7 into our homes and businesses is a bigger deal?

What if a TV reporter came to your house and placed a "hot mic" in your home?

Or a cop?

But this crappy little Sinclair deal is what get's ya'll spinning up?

I really liked this package... Only thing i disliked was the gray font color.. made it hard to read

Same here I liked that Fox 17 logo was surprise they ditched it so fast then went with Fox O&O look in 2010 or 11.

That would never work here in NY with Fox5 considering we have 2 MLB, 2 NFL, 2 NBA and 3 NHL teams of varying colors and shades. Other cities with multiple teams (even not in the same sports) are not as color coordinated. In reality, Fox needs major updates to their graphics and sets (I won't touch the more important content which is an issue too).

They could color coordinate with red, white and blue considering Fox carries more of the Giants than the Jets. The baseball teams use blue already, with the Yankees' blue being a darker shade, so blue will be the dominant color.

They could also pattern according to the colors of the city flag, with WFLD in Chicago using the sky blue of the stripes on the city flag to go with the bright red of the stars on it, and WTXF potentially using royal blue and gold from the Philadelphia flag. Texas may be hard to distinguish given Dallas and Houston have flags dominated by the Lone Star flag colors, but they could utilize a burnt orange color pattern for KTBC in Austin to go with the Longhorns.

WNYW already has a color scheme. the default colors are Yankees colors anyway. but what i'd do is have their sister stations (MyNetworkTV) use an alternate color scheme from the FOX station it comes from, much similar to CBS's Independent stations (KTXA, KCAL, WLNY)

That might depend on whether or not Fox decides to gut MyNetworkTV graphics from all its junior stations and rebrand them as secondary Fox affiliates (i.e. Fox 9 New Jersey, Fox 13 Plus, etc.) that don't end up with the CW a la WPWR/Chicago. I can see KTXH/Houston rebranding as "Fox 20 Xtra".

PLEASE don't let this happened to WSFL! FOX is fine with WSVN.

WSVN will likely remain with Fox if the Ansin family pays them enough hush money + negotiates to wrestle the Fox affiliation from WFXT and enable Cox to sell that station to NBC (which in turn would resolve the WBTS debacle there).

From a graphical standpoint, the O&Os are due for a refresh/redo anyway (the current look dates mostly to ... 2013?) and almost all of them have scrapped the generic 2006-era news set anyway.

Look at the slight level of freedom KTVU was given graphics-wise after they became an O&O. Chances are they'll allow KCPQ that same exceptions.

I actually have a much better graphics design for the Fox O&Os I'd be glad to present to the concepts/what if section. At least let WTVT/Tampa keep its distinctive "13" and readopt its colors to personalize it KCPQ style.

Is there anything new that's related to the whole Fox-Sinclair deal?

Some updates regarding the 23 stations that are going to be sold off as part of the Sinclair-Tribune deal.

https://seekingalpha.com/pr/17139619-sinclair-enters-agreements-sell-tv-stations-related-closing-tribune-media-acquisition

The "TBA" is likely FOX.

Some updates regarding the 23 stations that are going to be sold off as part of the Sinclair-Tribune deal.

https://seekingalpha.com/pr/17139619-sinclair-enters-agreements-sell-tv-stations-related-closing-tribune-media-acquisition

The "TBA" is likely FOX.

More info on the new proposed sale & buyers https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-24/sinclair-agrees-to-sell-23-tv-stations-as-part-of-tribune-deal

Archived