Fox and Sinclair finalizing purchase of six stations

ColDayNews

Also: LA, the Bay, DFW, and Houston are all top ten markets!

My point on WJZY is that there is precedent for Fox buying some also-ran station and moving its programming there. (And they nearly did the same with WGBS in the early '90s!)

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not to mention, Fox likes having an O&O in the state capitol in a state where it owns 2 or more stations. (i.e. California w/ KTTV and KTVU and Texas with KRIV and KDFW.)

i.e. ... and Florida w/ WTVT and WOFL ... wait they don’t own WTLH in Tallahassee. I think you made that one up!!! It’s just coincidental with those two states, nothing more.

Not sure who you were responding to, but I was trying to make the same point. Previous poster was wondering why all the talk about affiliation swaps.

I was responding to you.

Also, Florida doesn't have any top ten markets, and Tallahassee lacks anything compelling to a network as it is.

Likely they are haggling big-time over WITI. Fox no doubt wants to regain that foothold in a part of the Packers market, while Sinclair sees all the operational synergies with WITI and WLUK.

Do note that Sinclair also owns WMSN in Madison. There could be one heck of a synergy between the 3 of them.....probably giving them all the more reason to want WITI.

I was responding to you.

Also, Florida doesn't have any top ten markets, and Tallahassee lacks anything compelling to a network as it is.

But it seems like you didn’t read the posts before me, specifically the person I quoted. Otherwise you would understand my comment. I understand why Fox bought WSFL. The person prior me didn’t understand why there was all this affiliation swap talk.

As for Tallahassee, again, did you read the person I quoted? I understand why Fox doesn’t own the Fox affiliate in Tallahassee. The person I quoted said that Fox had a strategy of owning the Fox affiliate in a capital of a state where they owned two stations. I cited Florida as an example that it was not Fox’s strategy.

i.e. ... and Florida w/ WTVT and WOFL ... wait they don’t own WTLH in Tallahassee. I think you made that one up!!! It’s just coincidental with those two states, nothing more.

I did some further research and I was incorrect. I apologize.

With regards to Miami, why would Fox want to own a station in the market not affiliated with its network. While I don’t believe that Fox will ultimately end up on WSFL, this why others are hung up on this.

NBC did all the homework Fox needs to put in an offer for the Sunbeam stations. Watch them put out a highball offer since they have the money to do so and it would get them all of the Top 20 markets.

I'm sure there would be conditions and a lot of donations made to assorted philanthropic ventures but it is a win-win for all parties involved.

With regards to Miami, why would Fox want to own a station in the market not affiliated with its network. While I don’t believe that Fox will ultimately end up on WSFL, this why others are hung up on this.

CBS owns MyNet affiliates in Boston and Miami, where they have a CBS O&O. But why don't they "steal" back the CW affiliation? They also own a CW station in Seattle, but they clearly are not trying to "steal" the CBS affiliation back from KIRO.

Why do they do these things? Money.

It always has to do with money. Maybe they'll use it to pressure Sunbeam into paying more next time the affiliation agreement rolls around. Maybe they'll trade it to another company in exchange for something else. Not everything is as straightforward as some people here would like it to be.

CBS owns MyNet affiliates in Boston and Miami, where they have a CBS O&O. But why don't they "steal" back the CW affiliation? They also own a CW station in Seattle, but they clearly are not trying to "steal" the CBS affiliation back from KIRO.

Why do they do these things? Money.

It always has to do with money. Maybe they'll use it to pressure Sunbeam into paying more next time the affiliation agreement rolls around. Maybe they'll trade it to another company in exchange for something else. Not everything is as straightforward as some people here would like it to be.

Agreed. Although CBS has a few situations where this exists (Seattle, Atlanta, Tampa) while Fox has no history of this. We shall see! :D

NBC did all the homework Fox needs to put in an offer for the Sunbeam stations. Watch them put out a highball offer since they have the money to do so and it would get them all of the Top 20 markets.

I'm sure there would be conditions and a lot of donations made to assorted philanthropic ventures but it is a win-win for all parties involved.

How high do you think they'll offer?

We all know Fox only buys stations located in NFC markets, but why would Fox buy a station in an AFC market, especially in Miami? That just doesn't makes sense at all.

My guess since Miami IS a Dominant market, with news and sports and a diverse population it makes some sense.

Mind you that New York, Houston, the soon-go-to Las vegas raiders (Oakland) and Los Angeles currently have FOX owned stations in an AFC market.

CBS has owned UPN stations in markets where they didn't own the CBS affiliate. (i.e. WWHO/Columbus, WLWC/Providence, WNDY/Indianapolis, WGNT/Norfolk) and it was never about stealing the affiliation from the existing affiliates in these markets. In fact, one of the only reasons CBS sold in Columbus and Indy was to finance the Viacom/CBS split.

My guess since Miami IS a Dominant market, with news and sports and a diverse population it makes some sense.

Mind you that New York, Houston, the soon-go-to Las vegas raiders (Oakland) and Los Angeles currently have FOX owned stations in an AFC market.

KVVU is owned by Meredith. Not Fox (even though their master control operations are located in that city).

Oh. Wait. You're talking about KTVU. Aren't you?

Didn't Viacom buy those stations because they wanted to ensure UPN's distribution, and because of the UHF discount?

Yes. They bought WLWC and WWHO from NBC in exchange for WVIT. They were run alongside NBC's Providence and Columbus O&Os in LMAs.

The biggest reason CBS sold in 2005 was to offset some of the costs of the Viacom split. Another was that there was no hope of a duopoly in Columbus - WBNS was owned by the Wolfe family and WWHO was a UPN O&O. CBS was beginning to trend toward CBS/UPN duopolies.

Archived