Fox and Sinclair finalizing purchase of six stations

ColDayNews

Variety.com is reporting that Fox is closing in on the purchase of six stations, and possibly more from Sinclair once the merger with Tribune Broadcasting is completed.

The deal is understood to encompass six Fox stations:

• WJW/Cleveland (previously owned by Fox from 1997-2008)
  • KSTU/Salt Lake City (previously owned by Fox from 1990-2008)
  • KDVR/Denver (previously owned by Fox from 1995-2008)
  • KCPQ/Seattle
  • KTXL/Sacramento
  • WSFL/Miami

Four of these stations are in NFL markets, which Fox has recently made a priority for station acquisition.

For more info: http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/sinclair-tribune-fox-station-deal-seattle-1202707565/

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any reason why we started a new thread on this, as there is already an ongoing discussion in the Tribune/Sinclair thread, of which you commented on after you started this thread! Also, seems a bit premature as there have been other reports about potential side deals.

Fox's standard affiliation agreement gives it the ability to take an affiliation back if it acquires another station in the same market.

Meaning that WSVN could go Independent for the very first time and if so, they're ready to follow the WHDH method.

Any reason why we started a new thread on this, as there is already an ongoing discussion in the Tribune/Sinclair thread, of which you commented on after you started this thread! Also, seems a bit premature as there have been other reports about potential side deals.

The other thread is a mess, and I'm tempted to close it and make a few new threads, to split up the 7 discussions going at once inside the existing one.

If Fox is willing to rebuild WSFL's news department, then it's already a modest success due to how badly WFOR is right now.

Haha. I had to laugh at that because if even a new news department does come through, it could be the established WFOR at its game. Truly something to laugh at. Lmao.

I think WSFL could be a MyNetworkTV O&O meaning that at some point Fox could acquire WSVN.

But at the same time, if they're willing to build an in house news department for WSFL and turn it into a Fox O&O, then I could see them being a sucess.

I'm not sure how successful it might be but it'll be intresting to see what Fox does with WSFL and what happens to WSVN and WBFS as well

Fascinating. Once WSVN's contract with Fox expires, then that station would become Miami's new home to The CW with SFL becoming the new Fox O&O and Miami's third network-owned station--just stating. I love the idea of WSFL re-building its news department from the ground up in the event it becomes a Fox O&O. Sorry for the spoilers that I supposed avoid at all costs.

Any reason why we started a new thread on this, as there is already an ongoing discussion in the Tribune/Sinclair thread, of which you commented on after you started this thread!

He loves starting threads.

Call me naive, but I just don’t buy that Fox will move it’s affiliation to WSFL, at least not initially. I think they’ll use it as a bargaining chip to try and get Sunbeam to sell, or they may try and make a play for WPLG since it’s BH’s only TV station.

I could see WBFS and WSFL swapping affiliations right away.

He loves starting threads.

I know, but I got yelled at last time I made that remark and was told on by him to Weeters, so I’m try to keep the peace. I’m not here to piss anyone off. I just found it confusing that we already had two threads on this topic and now a third, especially when none of this is confirmed.

I respect the fact that it’s a hard job to monitor the entire forum and all the threads and you can’t possibly catch everything, but I just don’t get Weeters sometimes. Why not lock the other threads if you’re going to allow this one to continue, instead of having three simultaneous conversations about the same thing in three different places? And recently, I had two comments of mine deleted where I made a comment about the New England Patriots (which I’m okay with them being deleted), yet another poster continues to post nonsense off topic and sometimes inappropriate stuff yet none of it gets deleted.

Once Fox buys back WJW, could the station shake up its news department and programming lineup? There could be the possibility of testing shows on the station as other Fox O&Os have done in recent years. Plus, I wonder if Fox 8 might end up in the 11pm news race.

Call me naive, but I just don’t buy that Fox will move it’s affiliation to WSFL, at least not initially. I think they’ll use it as a bargaining chip to try and get Sunbeam to sell, or they may try and make a play for WPLG since it’s BH’s only TV station.

I could see WBFS and WSFL swapping affiliations right away.

Exactly. Sunbeam tried it twice with NBC, in 1987 (WSVN) and 2016 (WHDH) filing and antitrust lawsuit and both failed. While WHDH is Saturated with News, WSVN? Well it was so much better and still is as A FOX affiliate, it would be a million to one shot for FOX to convince sunbeam to sell the station. (whereas the latter, WHDH with NBC failed as the asking price was too low)

Once Fox buys back WJW, could the station shake up its news department and programming lineup? There could be the possibility of testing shows on the station as other Fox O&Os have done in recent years. Plus, I wonder if Fox 8 might end up in the 11pm news race.

Isn't WJW far and away the ratings leader in Cleveland? Why would Fox want to mess with a news department doing that well?

I think WSFL could be a MyNetworkTV O&O meaning that at some point Fox could acquire WSVN.

But at the same time, if they're willing to build an in house news department for WSFL and turn it into a Fox O&O, then I could see them being a sucess.

I'm not sure how successful it might be but it'll be intresting to see what Fox does with WSFL and what happens to WSVN and WBFS as well

Only time will tell i guess.

Archived