Old Tech Thread: DVCPRO and FireWire?

H4UL4U

Hope this is the right forum for this. Anybody work with DVCPRO via FireWire back in the day? I have a large collection of DVCPRO tapes that I attempting to dub via FireWire using a Panasonic AJ-D230H deck. Everything worked yesterday, but today, nothing. When I turn the deck on Windows doesn't detect it, even after restarting and power cycling everything and even trying a different cable. Once or twice it tries to install drivers but fails and in Windows Device Manager there is a very cryptic "This device cannot start code 10" message. I tried my Digital8 camera and it worked, so the FireWire card's fine. I guess it could be the FireWire board on the deck?

Ugh, just seeing "FireWire" in text gives me PTSD. The college I went to couldn't afford DVCPRO stuff so we shot MiniDV on these turds, and of course capture into Premiere Pro was done via FireWire. We'd have tons of problems with PCI FireWire cards burning up the FW ports in cameras to the point where my J-school finally replaced all of the old Dell editing PCs with iMacs. Problem solved, and we also got some new Panasonic cameras out of the deal.

Don't have a ton of advice other than to tread very carefully when your FireWire stuff just suddenly stops working. You could very easily end up like SJSU and having to buy new computers plus a fleet of new cameras with non-burned-out FireWire ports.

Ugh, just seeing "FireWire" in text gives me PTSD. The college I went to couldn't afford DVCPRO stuff so we shot MiniDV on these turds, and of course capture into Premiere Pro was done via FireWire. We'd have tons of problems with PCI FireWire cards burning up the FW ports in cameras to the point where my J-school finally replaced all of the old Dell editing PCs with iMacs. Problem solved, and we also got some new Panasonic cameras out of the deal.

Don't have a ton of advice other than to tread very carefully when your FireWire stuff just suddenly stops working. You could very easily end up like SJSU and having to buy new computers plus a fleet of new cameras with non-burned-out FireWire ports.

Yes, I'm aware this thread is very much RTV problems circa 2008. I have used countless types of MiniDV, HDV, and Digital8 gear with PCs with little issue. I realize FireWire is an Apple design, but why would the a PCI FireWire card burn the ports up but not the ones on an iMac? To make matters worse, the DVCPRO deck I have is one of the "shoebox" type that doesn't have SDI, just analog composite and S-Video, so if indeed the FireWire is toast it will only have analog out.

With how many unused decks there are lying around they still fetch a pretty penny on eBay...my station probably has a couple dozen.

The code 10 error means that Windows can't figure out how to start the tape deck, or it reported an error it doesn't understand - try reinstalling the drivers, I guess?

Thanks for the reply. I already tried that, as well as switching the 1394 controller to legacy...no dice...

• 1 month later...

An update to this. I picked up a Blackmagic Design DeckLink Mini Recorder - an awesome device - as well as another DVCPRO deck with SDI and am capturing tapes now via the SDI output on the deck. Works very well.

Archived