IDs from ABC's yellow package

ColDayNews

ID #1: characters from NYPD Blue, Dharma & Greg, The Practice, and Once & Again.

ID #2: Multifaceted: Erica Kane from All My Children; blue (ABC News): Barbara Walters, Diane Sawyer, Peter Jennings; red (ABC Sports/ESPN): Brett Farve, Tiger Woods, Michelle Kwan; and yellow (Entertainment): The Drew Carey Show and Dharma & Greg

ID #3: Comedy: Drew Carey (The Drew Carey Show), D.L. Hughley (The Hughleys), Charlie Sheen (Spin City), stars of Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place, and Jenna Elfman (Dharma & Greg)

ID #4: ABC News: Peter Jennings, Ted Koppel, Barbara Walters, Sam Donaldson, Cokie Roberts, Connie Chung, Chris Bury, Diane Sawyer and Charles Gibson.

I liked the package but it got a little stale by the fourth or fifth year. (I know it went four seasons, I'm foggy on whether it went five...?)

My favorite part of the package was the ABC News ID used during that time. Best version of "More Americans Get Their News", I think:

I liked the package but it got a little stale by the fourth or fifth year. (I know it went four seasons, I'm foggy on whether it went five...?)

My favorite part of the package was the ABC News ID used during that time. Best version of "More Americans Get Their News", I think:

I think it started in 1997, but the "flat" graphics hadn't completely happened yet, as seen in this ident:

Said ident looked more like the 1996-era look, but footage of ABC from 1997-98 is rare to begin with so... I dunno. I do know the look lasted until 2002, when ABC instituted the short-lived "circular colors" look:

I remember they had an funny ad that said: "Don't just sit there. Ok, sit there." I may have seen that on ABC's network website in 1998.

Before Sinclair got into standardization... WSYX used a variation of these graphics to promote syndicated programming (i.e. The Rosie O'Donnell Show, Judge Judy, etc.)

I seem to recall a version with Alison Stewart and Derek McGinty that aired after WNN every night?

There's a few groups of 1997-98 era commercials, and they didn't really get the look down yet. As I recall the whole yellow look was TBWA Chiat/Day's brainchild, and ABC kind of worked with those concepts for the first year but never "got" how it should translate to television. They brought in Pittard Sullivan in 1998 to fix that, and that's where the more iconic aspects of the look came from - the photography, the minimal animation, the sounder. After that they didn't really change things too much - the big change for 1999 was that they brought News, Sports, and Daytime into the general branding scheme (in other words, putting the actual ABC logo in the logos for both).

I seem to recall a version with Alison Stewart and Derek McGinty that aired after WNN every night?

Every program got a version with their anchors, so WNN must have gotten a version of that ID too.

...speaking of WNN IDs, I know there was one (before this look) that boasted "More Insomniacs Get Their News From World News Now". I'd love to see that posted. (Wayyyyy back on AOL, ABC posted one of these...)

Yeah, the only thing left out of the yellow look was One Saturday Morning, and that was kinda justified. (They did start using bumpers with yellow backgrounds and a black ABC logo in early 2000 until the revamp later that year, so they kinda joined it, if only briefly.)

Every program got a version with their anchors, so WNN must have gotten a version of that ID too.

...speaking of WNN IDs, I know there was one (before this look) that boasted "More Insomniacs Get Their News From World News Now". I'd love to see that posted. (Wayyyyy back on AOL, ABC posted one of these...)

Ask and you shall receive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=a75A_ZHGwlo;m=6;s=21

There's a few groups of 1997-98 era commercials, and they didn't really get the look down yet. As I recall the whole yellow look was TBWA Chiat/Day's brainchild, and ABC kind of worked with those concepts for the first year but never "got" how it should translate to television. They brought in Pittard Sullivan in 1998 to fix that, and that's where the more iconic aspects of the look came from - the photography, the minimal animation, the sounder. After that they didn't really change things too much - the big change for 1999 was that they brought News, Sports, and Daytime into the general branding scheme (in other words, putting the actual ABC logo in the logos for both).

For the last season of the look (2001-02) they brought in Troika to refresh it a bit. Troika was of course basically a new incarnation of Pittard Sullivan.

The yellow era certainly had an influence on KMGH, though in not quite as minimal of an application. TVbD went with a yellow and navy look when KMGH rebranded in September 1998. I can't remember when the circle 7 stopped standing on its own and when they added the yellow ABC logo to it. I think the one with the ABC logo may have been the default station logo

at first and then news adopted it with the Giant Octopus look in ~2000. Either way, it was the official station logo until 2008, and it was still in the huge signs on the sides of KMGH's building until maybe 3-4 years ago.

40405008412_5849a8c847_z.jpg

I was also trying to find the ABC network spot that had "Yellow" by Coldplay in it, but I couldn't find it. I did find this master reel of IDs on YouTube though:

Here's WSET using graphics inspired by the blue ABC News version of the package.

I'm not sure if they used these on the newscasts. There appears to be a short timeframe where they used the old "Virginia's 13" logo with Overture (the current ABC13 logo would arrive in early 2001).

Archived