New CBS O&O Websites

Weeters

That may be true, but it still doesn't explain the really low engagement numbers. KCNC, KPIX, and KCBS will all usually be at about 5% of its share of engagement for their respective markets while all the other stations will usually be at or above 10%, including throwaway stations like KRON, KMGH, and KTTV.

They may not be close to being market leaders on air, but it's undeniable that they're all market laggards when it comes to having a web presence and social media strategy.

As for all the CMS stuff, I'm certainly not as well-versed in all the tech stuff as some other people, but I can't imagine Wordpress is as versatile as a lot of other platforms like WorldNow, Clickability, or many others. Is Kinja available for TV stations? That would be cool if a station group could figure out licensing for that one.

Kinja as far as I am aware is exclusive to the ex gawker site and their now sister sites. I’m not sure about the posting/admin stuff but people complain about their commenting system.

Wait KDKA-FM is using WPXI for news?! They literally have a newsradio sister station--with the same calls!

That has to be PXI paying for the privilege...right?

KDKA-FM is a SPORTS station that used to get their sports news sources from KDKA-TV before the merger. After the merger, they now get their sports news stories from rival WPXI and YES WPXI is paying for the privilege because they will do ANYTHING to get viewers because they are ALWAYS in 3rd place in the ratings.

I agree wholeheartedly. Nobody has time to remember such a long name.

The actual "city.cbslocal.com" thing doesn't really matter, actually. The sites are promoted as "cbs[city].com" (or in some cases like WJZ, the calls) and redirect to the "cbslocal" subdomains. It's the same thing with many of the NBC sites these days - WCAU promotes "nbc10.com" but it redirects to "nbcphiladelphia.com".

Wait KDKA-FM is using WPXI for news?! They literally have a newsradio sister station--with the same calls!

That has to be PXI paying for the privilege...right?

KDKA-FM is known colloquially as “SportsRadio 93.7 The Fan,” not “KDKA-FM.”

That may be true, but it still doesn't explain the really low engagement numbers. KCNC, KPIX, and KCBS will all usually be at about 5% of its share of engagement for their respective markets while all the other stations will usually be at or above 10%, including throwaway stations like KRON, KMGH, and KTTV.

The problem is that most of the CBS sites don't engage. Following WBBM (AM), for the most part it's mainly raw links to content from the site (or AP copy), a few station events and then some behind the scenes stuff. If I followed WBBM-TV it would probably be just as fallow. Not that that's a bad thing; I'm happy to have a few Twitter station feeds that just post stories rather than 'look at these anchor selfies and what wacky hijinks the morning weatherman got into this time hyuk hyuk'. But it makes for boring metrics if you're playing it straight on a newsfeed (or for Gray and Scripps stations, you just aggravate viewers with junk from SimpleMost like I've seen with WBAY's Facebook after that purchase closed).

The actual "city.cbslocal.com" thing doesn't really matter, actually. The sites are promoted as "cbs[city].com" (or in some cases like WJZ, the calls) and redirect to the "cbslocal" subdomains. It's the same thing with many of the NBC sites these days - WCAU promotes "nbc10.com" but it redirects to "nbcphiladelphia.com".

You'd think they'd also have nbcphilly.com redirecting to there, too...

By the way, I looked at the structure of the Entercom radio websites (slowly being folded into Radio.com after they bought that as part of CBS Radio)... they are using Drupal for their CMS.

They're fine, don't get me wrong, but good lord, I forgot Drupal still existed. Was Joomla not available?

Whatever KDKA-FM is known as on-air these days, that's a tremendous synergy opportunity lost.

I'd say the same for the WBZ cluster in Boston, too--though the ownership there has since been split with the Entercom acquisition.

• 1 month later...

The Philly Entercom cluster has moved out of the CBSPhilly domain and launched all new websites of their own. I guess this paves the way for CBSPhilly.com to get the facelift. I hope they go back to branding it as cbs3.com.

By the way, I looked at the structure of the Entercom radio websites (slowly being folded into Radio.com after they bought that as part of CBS Radio)... they are using Drupal for their CMS.

They're fine, don't get me wrong, but good lord, I forgot Drupal still existed. Was Joomla not available?

Last time I paid attention to that kind of stuff (which isn't too recently; I do more back-end stuff now,) Drupal and Joomla were a distant second and third place in market share behind WordPress, but still way ahead of whatever was in 4th.

For my first few years at my current job, I had to deal with two of the company's sites that were run on versions of DotNetNuke from 2008. I used to dread having to do work on them. We migrated one of them to a new platform in 2016 and the other to a section of that site last year. (The CMS they're now on is Kentico, which the largest site I'm involved in is also running on.)

The following are up and running:

WCBS880.com

WFAN.com

WCBSFM.com

1010WINS.com

The CBS New York site still has the radio logos on it.

Those are well-designed sites. They don't look half-finished, unlike some sites that have recently been redesigned. Take note, Tegna.

Archived