The CW reclaims Sunday nights

The Frog

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was surprise that TV station groups would sign on and give The CW back Sunday Nights as it's hard to get those hours back once the networks gives it up.

It's a wasteland of direct-to-video filler films, Byron Allen and sitcom repeats. At this point the affiliates would be happy to give it back up with original content in as the ads coming in from the former product were probably well beneath what the CW can get them (several stations actually do put infomercials on Sunday primetime).

I wouldn't put it past them to get Saturday nights as well.

They never had Saturday nights; UPN did, but only for that repeat of Star Trek they kept maintaining despite the casts of those shows (and Veronica Mars) begging viewers to not watch that way since Nielsen didn't track it and the occasional XFL game (the UPN Movie Trailer was literal filler anyone could do). With all the VOD options they have now, it's a problem whose solution has long been found.

They never had Saturday nights; UPN did, but only for that repeat of Star Trek they kept maintaining despite the casts of those shows (and Veronica Mars) begging viewers to not watch that way since Nielsen didn't track it and the occasional XFL game (the UPN Movie Trailer was literal filler anyone could do). With all the VOD options they have now, it's a problem whose solution has long been found.

It's time for networks to at least try and program Saturday nights with original content again. What harm could it do whenever the alternative is just filler junk? I'm sure the affiliates of the CW would have no problem giving that up too.

I know a few of the networks have used Saturday nights for live sports -- ABC has NBA basketball this coming Saturday, for example, and Fox has aired NASCAR races in the past -- but, yeah, the days of The Golden Girls, Hunter, Walker Texas Ranger, and other scripted shows airing new episodes on Saturday nights are long gone.

Then again, Friday nights were just as dead, too, but they've made a comeback, so anything's possible.

It's time for networks to at least try and program Saturday nights with original content again. What harm could it do whenever the alternative is just filler junk? I'm sure the affiliates of the CW would have no problem giving that up too.

Saturday night has been an absolute wasteland on network television ever since Dr. Quinn, Walker, Texas Ranger and The Golden Girls left the air.

There’s no reason and no purpose for the CW to program sports coverage, which would be the ONLY justification for network programming on Saturday. If anything, the affiliates may carry regional sports a la SEC Network or Raycom, but that’s pretty much it. WBNX runs a movie on Saturday nights, which is noteworthy enough for a local station.

Archived