Voices of Denver International Airport

C Block

After months of rumor, Denver International Airport is auditioning for new voices for the underground train system announcements. This time, they've narrowed it down to ten and are letting online voters pick. The finalists are:

• Alan Roach (former Broncos announcer, current train voice)
  • Mike Nelson (KMGH)
  • Vic Lombardi (Altitude Sports, formerly KCNC)
  • Jeremy Hubbard (KDVR)
  • Gary Shapiro (KUSA)
  • Anne Trujillo (KMGH)
  • Denise Plante (KOSI FM)
  • Kim Christiansen (KUSA)
  • Kathy Walsh (KCNC)
  • Kathy Sabine (KUSA)

Voting and voice samples here:

http://contests.flydenver.com/DENvoice/

One male and female voice will be chosen. The current voices are Alan Roach, who was so angered at being replaced that he is fighting to remain on, and Adele Arakawa, who retired in June. The original voices were former KCNC anchor Reynelda Muse and KOA radio personality Pete Smythe. Here's a cool little mini pkg from KCNC from when the airport opened in 1995:

I still haven't voted yet, but so far I think Anne Trujillo would be a good pick. Her audition tape sounds good, they have never chosen anyone from 7, and I've always thought she's an underrated anchor.

Should be interesting to see who they pick!

I have never been an Alan Roach fan. His voice feels too obnoxious and out of place at an airport. Fine for a stadium, but absolutely the wrong type of voice you want in what can otherwise be a stressful environment. I also am not a fan of the chimes that came with him and Adele.

Pete Smythe was really the best voice they had. He had the perfect old west cadence. Ernie Bjorkman would have been the closest to it today. Too bad he's not in the running.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived