Giant Octopus... Defunct?

kfc513

Giant Octopus, not the one owned by FX Group, but Ruth Dial's recent "revival". No new clients since WFMJ, newer syndicated packages going unused, and now - their website is down.

Is Ruth Dial closing down shop for good?

The site is back up now, but really the work the resurrected GO is doing is sub-standard especially when you can get quality syndicated packages from firms like LinearDrift, Hothaus, and Renderon for comparable prices.

Linear Drift has only one syndicated package that I know of (WLEX's current graphics). Everything else is custom looks (other than the stuff they did for Nexstar)

Giant Octopus is still owned by FX, but it seems like they started to downplay that connection when Ruth returned.

It wouldn't surprise me. A rash of standardizations within the last decade - Gannett/TEGNA, Scripps, CBS, Belo - plus consolidation probably cut into her customer base considerably.

This. Unlike some of the design firms out there (i.e. Hothaus, who does a lot of stuff outside of TV news) a company that just specializes in broadcast graphics has a much smaller possible customer base than they used to. Big stations are standardized and smaller stations generally can't afford custom packages, so they either take a syndicated package or buy something from network (the NBC stations using Arthouse graphics and the CBS stations using the previous O&O package come to mind.)

FX tried to tie the set design and graphic design businesses together, but I get the feeling a lot of stations that approach them about sets have no interest in graphics as they're standardized (and are probably coming to FX Group for something standardized as well)

Big stations are standardized and smaller stations generally can't afford custom packages, so they either take a syndicated package or buy something from network (the NBC stations using Arthouse graphics and the CBS stations using the previous O&O package come to mind.)

I think someone mentioned on another thread that NBC affiliates can get the O&O looks for free. Is that true?

(The original) GO made really cutting edge graphics in the late '90s. I remember being blown away by their work for WBNS.

They also happened to be based/started out of Clearwater, FL, as I understand it. I'd be interested to know how they started out. EDIT: this article explains it all: https://www.sportsvideo.org/2017/04/14/svg-sit-down-ruth-dial-on-the-new-giant-octopus-future-of-ar-and-motion-graphics/

(The original) GO made really cutting edge graphics in the late '90s. I remember being blown away by their work for WBNS.

They also happened to be based/started out of Clearwater, FL, as I understand it. I'd be interested to know how they started out. EDIT: this article explains it all: https://www.sportsvideo.org/2017/04/14/svg-sit-down-ruth-dial-on-the-new-giant-octopus-future-of-ar-and-motion-graphics/

I loved the original glass look with the photos of Downtown Columbus and the scrolling county names (i.e. Fairfield, Knox, Pickaway, Madison, Perry...)

"Around the clock coverage continues from 10TV Eyewitness News... your 24 hour news source."

The 1998 globe look with the chopper shots of Downtown Columbus and the scrolling "wbns columbus ohio" is a close second.

- WBNS 1998 open.

Archived