KFMB Slow Death Thread

Eat News

KFMB/Tegna appears to have enabled WHOIS privacy on their KFMB.TV domain (They did on 03/05/2018). I have checked a few Tegna stations, and they all have WHOIS privacy enabled. Yet, they have not done that for any of the other domains, including CBS8.com. That leads me down three trains of thought:

1. They're going to rebrand as KFMB, dropping the (CBS) News 8 brand (Matching other Tegna stations using their call letters). Also, doing so would tie in the Radio stations as they both use some variant of KFMB. (AM 760 KFMB, 100.7 KFM-BFM). The rebrand would also help eliminate the channel number in the name, as 8.2 (CW) is on channel 6 on cable providers. Very confusing to have News8 on Channel 6. If I'm right, somebody owes me a beer.

or

2. They just started updating the registration for the sites, and will finish updating them at some point

or

3. It means nothing

Here's the link to the WHOIS record: https://www.godaddy.com/whois/results.aspx?domain=kfmb.tv

Obvious prediction alert: the logo will be KFMB(cbs) and they’ll rebrand as KFMB News. Just like KVUE.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KFMB/Tegna appears to have enabled WHOIS privacy on their KFMB.TV domain (They did on 03/05/2018). I have checked a few Tegna stations, and they all have WHOIS privacy enabled. Yet, they have not done that for any of the other domains, including CBS8.com. That leads me down three trains of thought:

1. They're going to rebrand as KFMB, dropping the (CBS) News 8 brand (Matching other Tegna stations using their call letters). Also, doing so would tie in the Radio stations as they both use some variant of KFMB. (AM 760 KFMB, 100.7 KFM-BFM). The rebrand would also help eliminate the channel number in the name, as 8.2 (CW) is on channel 6 on cable providers. Very confusing to have News8 on Channel 6. If I'm right, somebody owes me a beer.

or

2. They just started updating the registration for the sites, and will finish updating them at some point

or

3. It means nothing

Here's the link to the WHOIS record: https://www.godaddy.com/whois/results.aspx?domain=kfmb.tv

Or maybe it's both?

#1 makes total sense...keep it simple. Go organic...respect the call letters since they are local legacy.

So far there have been no noticeable on air changes.

I'm trying to warm-up to the new on-air folks before I start chewing them apart ...I will give them a chance.

Rick Thomas has that XETV 6 'ole spot on his youtube .

Obvious prediction alert: the logo will be KFMB(cbs) and they’ll rebrand as KFMB News. Just like KVUE.

Or they'll rebrand as News 8 and keep the same logo. The WHOIS record thing means nothing.

Dafuq is that logo? You can barely make out the “8”.

Yeah your right,

Notice how it pops right off the newsprint..lol..

That logo only lasted about 5 years.

Where would one even find a color version of that logo now days unless you grabbed it off an old aircheck? I have no clue if anyone would have saved the original drawings.

When KFMB updates it's graphics, do you think the ticker will go away?

Well that depends on their relationship.

Do the graphics and the ticker get along?

I know the ticker has been a bit upset since the sale, and feels threatened.

How much does the ticker make? What does the ticker cost to operate?

Tegna could offer the ticker a buyout.

Would we hurt if it went away forever?

#luvmesumticker

Reminds me of a purse or jean zipper.

Flying saucer or UFO looks like to me.

I wonder if they ever animated it?

Or even what were it's original colors?

The answer is somewhere on a 2inch quad reel inside the tombs of KFMB.

Didn't want to start a new thread since there is too many on KFMB but they had softly added NEWS 8 @ 7 pm weekends on CW from what we heard here at my station. I checked tv guide online and its labeled News 8 Weekends Special Edition

Didn't want to start a new thread since there is too many on KFMB but they had softly added NEWS 8 @ 7 pm weekends on CW from what we heard here at my station. I checked tv guide online and its labeled News 8 Weekends Special Edition

Probably getting ready for an influx of political ads coming. Isn't the primaries are in a couple of weeks?

But outside of that, I don't get why they need a weekend 7pm. They're already have the 6:30 on the mothership.

Probably getting ready for an influx of political ads coming. Isn't the primaries are in a couple of weeks?

But outside of that, I don't get why they need a weekend 7pm. They're already have the 6:30 on the mothership.

The political ads started months ago around here. Political ads in Socal are like fire season...they never end.

The weekend 7p will serve one purpose...to shorten everyone's lunch "hour" by 1/2 hour.

Here is a little secret about weekend TV news...

Weekend nights are pretty chill in Tv newsrooms. All you do is rehash the early show run-down into your 10 or 11pm...nite reporter bags an early afternoon bite for a file package on some national stuff...photog sprays a cheap drive-by shooting...everyone naps and nurses hangovers....production guys "burn one" by the sat dishes.

Weekend nights are chill.

No management...

bliss.

Looks that way on my guide too.. Wonder if they'll do 10PM too in the near future?

Wonder if they'll do 10PM too in the near future?

Well all the people are there to do a 10pm if so desired.

And NOW all those staffers hate YOU for suggesting they do a 10pm CW weekend show. Because you just know it's coming.

Goodbye naps...

Goodbye trips to the sat dishes....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two San Diego cops got shot last night around 11pm.

As of this morning (7am) KFMB still has nothing about it on the website....

(updated at 7:42 finally)

Wow!

Talk about getting your ass kicked by stinky lil KGTV?

6 months ago this would have been an act of dis-honor at KFMB and the guilty party would have swallowed the sword.

Cops will update the media at 07:30...but since there has been nobody in the KFMB newsrooms since last night the KFMB desk may not even have a clue yet.

KFMB will have to buy stringer tape from one of the many "JVNR's" that roam the streets.

How come KFMB cannot update the webpage on the weekends?

JVNR's = Junior Video News Rangers

Two San Diego cops got shot last night around 11pm.

As of this morning (7am) KFMB still has nothing about it on the website....

(updated at 7:42 finally)

Wow!

Talk about getting your ass kicked by stinky lil KGTV?

6 months ago this would have been an act of dis-honor at KFMB and the guilty party would have swallowed the sword.

Cops will update the media at 07:30...but since there has been nobody in the KFMB newsrooms since last night the KFMB desk may not even have a clue yet.

KFMB will have to buy stringer tape from one of the many "JVNR's" that roam the streets.

How come KFMB cannot update the webpage on the weekends?

JVNR's = Junior Video News Rangers

Well it is Sunday, but that is peculiar there isn't someone there in a market that size.

The website still says Midwest TV in the copyright.. When are they getting the new website?
'

Tegna/Gannett has a habit of leaving the name on the license of stations they acquire, or occasionally transfer the license name to new members of the family (ie WZZM Grand Rapids, MI license name is Combined Communications Corporation of Oklahoma, which came from KOCO now Hearst.)

'

Tegna/Gannett has a habit of leaving the name on the license of stations they acquire, or occasionally transfer the license name to new members of the family (ie WZZM Grand Rapids, MI license name is Combined Communications Corporation of Oklahoma, which came from KOCO now Hearst.)

In that case that was a station swap, so the licensees were left untouched but simply reassigned to new stations.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived