KFMB Slow Death Thread

Eat News

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've known a couple of anchors to go barefoot in the studio because the news director didn't want them to be taller than the male anchor, and the male anchor refuses to stand on a box.

We also use a steadicam in the morning, but mostly for guest segments.

19 hours ago, FiveNews said:

Did this actually air, or was this just a rehearsal? I'm hoping rehearsal as the female co-anchor wasn't wearing any shoes.

This was aired last week. Didn't even notice the lack of shoes, good catch.

On 11/11/2019 at 7:26 AM, NotInTV said:

This was aired last week. Didn't even notice the lack of shoes, good catch.

Several anchors, male and female, go barefoot during newscasts. If the studio has a prompter pedal like KFMB, then it can be hard to gauge your strength and the prompter can go awry. It's especially hard for women who wear high heels. Sometimes it's also done to reduce noise. Heels and regular shoes can make a distracting noise if you're changing positions during someone else's read.

On 11/10/2019 at 5:51 AM, CircleSeven said:

Sadly, this is a Tegna thing, on a good chunk of their morning-casts.

KFMB is also doing a pre-produced open for their 5pm newscast. Mix of Steadicam, reporter teases and tracks. 

43 minutes ago, TVnews said:

Several anchors, male and female, go barefoot during newscasts. If the studio has a prompter pedal like KFMB, then it can be hard to gauge your strength and the prompter can go awry. It's especially hard for women who wear high heels. Sometimes it's also done to reduce noise. Heels and regular shoes can make a distracting noise if you're changing positions during someone else's read.

KFMB is also doing a pre-produced open for their 5pm newscast. Mix of Steadicam, reporter teases and tracks.  

They are also now pre-produce a similar tease for the 11AM show. Goes to two commercials before the open though.

• 1 month later...

KFMB Chopper8 flew back to Texas on Sunday December 29th.
Maybe it went to Texas to get the ADS-B transponder upgrade before the FAA January 1, 2020 ADS-B deadline.

It might come back west bound in few days with ADS-B. (If it comes back) ;)

N661TV spotted in flight near Buckeye, AZ at 06:09 MST
N661TV tracking stopped near Show Low, AZ at 07:12 MST from Buckeye, AZ

N661TV spotted in flight near Portales, NM at 11:33 MST
N661TV tracking stopped near Clovis, NM at 11:55 MST from Portales, NM

• 2 weeks later...

Does any one have any update about the San Diego area helicopter (Chopper 8) ?  or any helicopter that will cover TV News in San Diego area?

or will San Diego go without any TV News helicopter in 2020.

On 1/8/2020 at 8:28 PM, Brian said:

The next Chopper 8 was flying for the evening news today on January 8th.

It flew to the San Diego area on January 4th.

N82F
1992 BELL 206B-III Jet Ranger
c/n 4240
https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=N82F
https://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N82F

P.S no more Robinson R44 helicopter!

This chopper is well traveled. I Google the tail number and it served as "Chopper 19" for WOIO in Cleveland and as "Sky 5" for KOCO in Oklahoma City.

The aircraft was broken in before it came Chopper 8 in its next life :)

Aircraft Accident NTSB History:
ONE BLADE BROKE 3 FEET FROM THE PIVOT ATTACHMENT AND THE HELICOPTER SWUNG AROUND 90 DEGREES ON THE HELIPAD. THE TAILBOOM AND FUSELAGE WERE ALSO DAMAGED.
https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20001207X03260

N82F - Bell 206B III - San Diego CBS8 Chopper 8 helicopter.
https://www.scandiego.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1851

As of 01/13/2020, KFMB has added a 30-minute "News 8 at Noon" newscast to their weekday broadcast schedule.

Am I correct in assuming that this newscast is temporary and only to free up more political ad space?

38 minutes ago, NotInTV said:

As of 01/13/2020, KFMB has added a 30-minute "News 8 at Noon" newscast to their weekday broadcast schedule.

Am I correct in assuming that this newscast is temporary and only to free up more political ad space?

I don't think so. Prior to this, KFMB aired Inside Edition at Noon on top of 7:30 p.m.

On 1/17/2020 at 1:12 PM, NotInTV said:

Originally yes, but they're actually doing well in the ratings compared to the rest of the day, so I wouldn't be surprised if it sticks around.

43 minutes ago, SFTV said:

Haven’t been back home in a while....is their 11am still half an hour or is it a full 90 min newscast 11-12:30?

hows KGTV and KNSD at 11am? 

the 11AM was an hour-long for a while before they added the noon earlier this week.

Wow.. I feel like I'm in 2008. I haven't seen that mic flag in a while.

KFMB Morning Anchor Stella Escobedo was up covering the Grammys, then the death of Kobe Bryant. Maybe they're promoting their "News 8 Throwbacks" on YouTube. Lol.

WhoopsMicFlag.gif

Wow and I thought KRON was bad using tape to hold their flags together.

Honestly this is the worst design KFMB has ever created for a mic flag. They should’ve kept the CBS Eye and added NEWS or go for the 3 sided triangle route saying NEWS 8

3 hours ago, NotInTV said:

Wow.. I feel like I'm in 2008. I haven't seen that mic flag in a while.

KFMB Morning Anchor Stella Escobedo was up covering the Grammys, then the death of Kobe Bryant. Maybe they're promoting their "News 8 Throwbacks" on YouTube. Lol.

WhoopsMicFlag.gif

Hmm I saw Stella post she was in LA for the Grammy's. Wonder if they decided to keep her up there for Kobe and convinced KCBS to provide a photographer. It used to be that stations kept mic flags of nearby affiliates for this reason, but if they could only find an old one then maybe a color printer had to do.

Archived