KFMB Slow Death Thread

Eat News

2 hours ago, SFTV said:

Wow and I thought KRON was bad using tape to hold their flags together.

Honestly this is the worst design KFMB has ever created for a mic flag. They should’ve kept the CBS Eye and added NEWS or go for the 3 sided triangle route saying NEWS 8

Very stupid and short-sighted. The CBS eye should have never been removed from their on-air branding.

My guess is they probably didn't have a mic flag with the CBS eye, so thus this "creation", unless they plan to go back to that logo...

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to the chopper discussion... Does KGTV still use Chopper 8 footage, or do they have their own chopper again? I’m asking, because I saw a new Sky 10 graphic (in that old-CNN-ish box to the left of the L3s) with an animated chopper. 

2 hours ago, newstime said:

Back to the chopper discussion... Does KGTV still use Chopper 8 footage, or do they have their own chopper again? I’m asking, because I saw a new Sky 10 graphic (in that old-CNN-ish box to the left of the L3s) with an animated chopper. 

Yes. There's only one chopper in the market, which is owned and operated by Total Traffic. Any footage is then sent to every station that is party to the contract. I believe KFMB still pays the most, so the CBS 8 logo is (was?) on one side and AM760 logo on the other and they could direct the chopper where/when to go.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

KFMB is launching a new local show at 4pm on 9/14, called "The Four". Hosted by Carlo, Karlene and Heather. 

CBS Evening News is moving to 5:30pm from 6pm.

Neda has been filing in Weather for Heather in the mornings. Do we assume as permanent?

38 minutes ago, NotInTV said:

I watched today's shows and it sure felt like it was permanent. Also they're now using the monitor wall behind the desk for weather segments now. Screenshot_20200915-153337.thumb.jpg.4b39b9590a5f3ceb8930fbf4a3b9979f.jpg

I'm pretty sure Neda's post is permanent. I think the screens are part of a new set that was built for The Four and not the screens behind the desk.

Question: is Jenny doing traffic on the chroma key or on the 3x9 setup?

they can expand their set and remove the chroma key unless they are planning to use it as a virtual set in some stand ups 

Wonder what happened to that new set Carlo talked about a few months after Tegna took over? The set still looks good, but they should start looking at a replacement especially if they want more flexibility with the types of shows they're doing.

The set works  best if they had the traditional, sit-down type of newscast. Since Tegna took over, they have made it an emphasis to be more mobile and more focus on social media and it makes the set look cramped.  The new set pieces (i.e. extra monitor wall, and more tables/chairs) just add to that already cramped space.

On 9/15/2020 at 5:40 PM, SFTV said:

Question: is Jenny doing traffic on the chroma key or on the 3x9 setup?

they can expand their set and remove the chroma key unless they are planning to use it as a virtual set in some stand ups 

Jenny is still doing traffic from the chroma key. I doubt they'd get rid of the chroma key as they use it a lot and for commercial production.

• 1 year later...

It’s the new mic flags for me.

Who ever chose the design for the previous “NEWS 8” flag should’ve been reassigned to another position.

I’m glad they brought back the CBS 8 logo. 

On 1/15/2022 at 7:47 PM, SFTV said:

It’s the new mic flags for me.

Who ever chose the design for the previous “NEWS 8” flag should’ve been reassigned to another position.

I’m glad they brought back the CBS 8 logo. 

Agreed on both the mic flags and bringing back the CBS 8 logo. I never liked that they removed the CBS eye from their branding. 

But I wish they would drop the “Live” (I don’t think it adds any value to the branding) and just go with CBS 8 News

Archived