KFMB Slow Death Thread

Eat News

14 hours ago, TVnews said:

The virtual sets (and all major graphics) are made at TEGNA graphics headquarters and distributed to stations to use (and they are expected to use them). For big events, like the Super Bowl, they'll make a package that includes lower thirds, over the shoulders and sets. Notice that the CBS eye is missing from the set so it can be used on TEGNA's NBC, ABC, etc affiliates.

Stations can request customized sets, but they're only allotted so much time with the graphics team so most just use the generic looks. 

KFMB may still have a bit of leeway if they still have an in-house graphics department. If they've already (unfortunately) been eliminated and they're forced what they get from Denver, then my original statement is moot.

I personally am a fan of virtual sets, but that one is a tad cheesy. 

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, H4UL4U said:

If I ever become King of the FCC I will require TV stations with virtual sets to make the "sets" viewer select able.

Let the consumer pick his  own cheesy set.

1095451083_news81984.thumb.JPG.856c653e66c72ced6b0896986d6049ae.JPG

8 hours ago, H4UL4U said:

KFMB may still have a bit of leeway if they still have an in-house graphics department. If they've already (unfortunately) been eliminated and they're forced what they get from Denver, then my original statement is moot.

I think they eliminated the in-house graphics department when the TEGNA graphics launched last year.

On 9/24/2018 at 3:41 PM, NotInTV said:

Not yet.. But that brings up some good points:

• Will they combine CBS8.com and TheCWSanDiego.com like KING/KONG, KUSA/KTVD, KBNT/KJAC, KREM/KSKN or WWL/WUPL? My guess is yes, as I could not find any Tegna duopolies that had separate websites.

• If so, will they use CBS8.com, KFMB.com, or News8SD.com? Heck, news8.com is for sale if they want to shell out the cash.

KTVD now has a separate website again as of mid January. (My20denver.com)

On 2/2/2019 at 11:26 PM, DENDude said:

KTVD now has a separate website again as of mid January. (My20denver.com)

I can imagine the CW San Diego, 100.7 San Diego, and AM 760 websites all looking similar to that, with the tie in to News8.

37 minutes ago, n925tv said:

On this Carlsbad, CA edition of "Whose News Van Is It Anyway?" I see rust (grey hair), something Tegna despises... 

@Eat News I found your home. 

IMG_1698.thumb.jpg.a5c074947038749ab7711ed406936372.jpg

No markings on that van? Otherwise, it looks like a rapist van with a dented rear bumper with an inverted honeycomb.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tegna and KFMB are seeking your help to pay the bills next month. Only $2900 bucks to own a piece of Midwest Broadcasting history! Just imagine the number of reporters and photographers who have graced the presence of this E250! Gently used, clean, low mileage, no breakdowns, and full of the latest CRT and analog technology! 

Please, let's make sure that Barbara Lee isn't living in her car on Engineer Road next month. Thank you for your generosity for this worthy cause, and together we can prove that #TegnaCares. 

Screen_Shot_2019-03-03_at_8_22.53_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2019-03-03_at_8_22.44_PM.png

15 hours ago, n925tv said:

Tegna and KFMB are seeking your help to pay the bills next month. Only $2900 bucks to own a piece of Midwest Broadcasting history! Just imagine the number of reporters and photographers who have graced the presence of this E250! Gently used, clean, low mileage, no breakdowns, and full of the latest CRT and analog technology! 

Please, let's make sure that Barbara Lee isn't living in her car on Engineer Road next month. Thank you for your generosity for this worthy cause, and together we can prove that #TegnaCares.

What are the odds of me spotting this same van this morning at the corner of Rancho Bernardo Rd and Via Tazon?

Freaky!

I didn't bother knocking...cuz that van was rocking...

2 hours ago, Eat News said:

What are the odds of me spotting this same van this morning at the corner of Rancho Bernardo Rd and Via Tazon?

Freaky!

I didn't bother knocking...cuz that van was rocking...

It's possible they sold the van to an employee after it was decommissioned and that employee is now selling it. 

53 minutes ago, SFTV said:

Just saw a video of the car chase they were covering on FB. Those lower thirds they were using look way better with the blue and white theme. 

They are lucky that chase ended when it did because another 15 miles and they would have lost the microwave signal to Palomar mountain...and there was no L.A.  choppers to intercept the coverage.

The FOX5 coverage was horrid...simply horrid mother.

KUSI was even worse.

The problem is that you have a reporter in the air, but that reporter can only go live on KFMB. KFMB didn't go live at all because they were in network programming.

So the other stations have to guess at the location and reasons for the pursuit, because they don't have a clue on how to monitor a police scanner for realtime info.

Oh well...

They're cute when they try.

22 minutes ago, Eat News said:

The problem is that you have a reporter in the air, but that reporter can only go live on KFMB. KFMB didn't go live at all because they were in network programming.

So the other stations have to guess at the location and reasons for the pursuit, because they don't have a clue on how to monitor a police scanner for realtime info.

I’ve wondered how things are handled in pooled situations especially when there’s a reporter in the air.  I thought perhaps the sharee stations might of gotten embed audio but could not pass it along. And not being able to monitor a scanner isn’t that assignment desk 101?

5 hours ago, Eat News said:

They are lucky that chase ended when it did because another 15 miles and they would have lost the microwave signal to Palomar mountain...and there was no L.A.  choppers to intercept the coverage.

KUSI was even worse.

Oh well...

A lot of stations teach their reporters to not report on the air or in their stories the scanner traffic they hear, so perhaps they or the desk were listening, but couldn't report on what they were hearing.

23 hours ago, TheRob said:

Pro: you have a power source for the ultimate homeless van-life experience.

Con: That mast doesn't lubricate itself.

need to drive those things a few hours north... to the bay area "burner country"... selling them to burners with too much money would be e-z...

roll onto the playa with all your supplies... and a built-in generator and aircon to boot... plenty of roof rack space to strap down some extra gas cans...

decorate the mast with lights and put it up at night... so you can find your way back to camp while... inebriated...

sleep in the seats... just like the former occupants...

"you can fit so much news in this bad boy"

14 hours ago, H4UL4U said:

A lot of stations teach their reporters to not report on the air or in their stories the scanner traffic they hear, so perhaps they or the desk were listening, but couldn't report on what they were hearing.

These guys didn't even know the location of the chase. Yes- there use to be some pretty solid yet unwritten "rules" about scanner traffic. However that set of good guidelines went out the window when stations started recording and rebroadcasting scanner traffic raw.

I will give the guy on FOX some credit for trying ...while Shally  Zamoradi  (whatever) just mumbled "uh-huh"...

...that woman is useless in a broadcast environment.

The L.A.stations know the drill on car chases and they know it well.

I guess I have to remember...

San Diego is NOT LA.

(Thank God for that.)

On 2/6/2018 at 5:12 PM, Eat News said:

On the first day of the KFMB slow death...

KFMB added newscast streaming.

Yippie!

It will only get better.

One year and one month later...

N.D. Dean Elwood is out after 40 years at KFMB, and the last 11 as the ND.

Dean was let go for only 1 reason.

He made too much money.

He was a good news director, producer etc in his 40 years  KFMB, but TEGNA needed him out of the picture because the real nasty and serious behind the scenes cuts are about to hit hard.

E.P's are next...

23 hours ago, Eat News said:

KUSI was even worse.

Oh well...

Do they even still use Jennifer Markham in the chopper? I don't watch in the mornings, and haven't heard her on the 11a as they use Jenny Milkowski.

Archived