KFMB Slow Death Thread

Eat News

SkyRanger 7 ???

You're not joking are you?....Ok dumb question since you would never make this up.

[MEDIA=instagram]BobwFyZn3S5[/MEDIA]

Because “NewsChopper” is so 90’s/early 2000’s

SkyRanger is the new thing along with StormRanger lol

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also drove by the Kearny Mesa studios, the station sign they had out front on Engineer Road is gone (not sure how long it has been taken down)? Other than that, another one of their live trucks is parked out back ready to see it's next chapter. Unit 8 is off the property now, their old satellite one.

[ATTACH=full]6590[/ATTACH]

Well that sign didn’t last long. They made just a big deal about it with the live shot in front of the studios when they replaced it when they took over the CW.

Well they do have Drone Ranger as well. Boston, Dallas Fort Worth, San Francisco and San Diego all dub their helicopters Sky Ranger.

This happened in 2015 with iHeart's Bobby Bones Show. They played the EAS tones over the air and were fined a million bucks. Those tones trigger other devices so, yes, you can't just broadcast them willy nilly.

It isn’t the tone but rather the “duck farts” that precede and succeed the tone and message. They are what activate the EAS on stations down the line. There would not have been a problem with KFMB airing a video of a phone going off today.

How about a vintage 1980 "NewsCopter 39"

1122689673_Newscopter39N(tv.jpg.ad985fd7027ddda373fd1f10264e55eb.jpg

Is the Chopper still flying in the mornings? Wonder if they will just eliminate the morning flight and have it only in the evening with Deb up there? Since they are having their new fancy traffic chick in studio...

Kind of interesting that NBC is starting to use the SkyRanger moniker. I think that we'll see them take over the chopper duties from KFMB sometime in the new year. Could the tower/radar upgrades have been made with the expectation of bringing back the helicopter?

Also, when does this Jenny chick do the traffic? is it during the whole am broadcast or doing the CW portion?

The anchors were in the middle of a story when 11:18 hit and the alert tone from a couple of the staff phones were heard over the air. So much for not playing "the noise"

My guess is that when everybody's devices are going off at the same time, it doesn't matter too much as it's everywhere. Had it been a real emergency, they wouldn't kill their mics just because the alert went off. I think the law only prohibits them from re-airing it. They don't want stations misusing it to get the viewer's attention, or make them dull to the tone.

Do they still use their Downtown Skycam? I rarely tune in anymore, (now with the new changes I would need a barf bag) Anyways, here is a photo from today of their skycam setup on the Manchester Grand Hyatt Hotel.

[ATTACH=full]6589[/ATTACH]

Yes, they still use it often. They have also updated the VO at the end giving credit to the Manchester Grand Hyatt. Now it's voiced by whoever does the opens. No more Bill Ratner to be heard.

Is the Chopper still flying in the mornings? Wonder if they will just eliminate the morning flight and have it only in the evening with Deb up there? Since they are having their new fancy traffic chick in studio...

New traffic anchor Jenny Milkowski started today. Yes they still use the chopper in the mornings, just no Jennifer Markham voice. Although I believe they've changed the name. It's no longer "Chopper 8", but "Chopper". It sounds so, so wrong when it's used. Both Jenny and Alicia Summers referred to it as such, multiple times.

Also, when does this Jenny chick do the traffic? is it during the whole am broadcast or doing the CW portion?

5:30AM - 8:00 AM, and 11AM. She's also a co-host now for the fluff segments during the 7-8AM Shows.

KFMB News Employees Petition for AFTRA /SAG Representation

TVNT Exclusive

KFMB-Ch-8 news employees must be fed up. They are asking for AFTRA/SAG union representation (ie:collective bargaining) it's an attempt to keep what they already have as far as wages and benefits.

Here is the petition...

https://www.sagaftra.org/kfmb-tv

KFMB News Employees Petition for AFTRA /SAG Representation

TVNT Exclusive

KFMB-Ch-8 news employees must be fed up. They are asking for AFTRA/SAG union representation (ie:collective bargaining) it's an attempt to keep what they already have as far as wages and benefits.

Here is the petition...

https://www.sagaftra.org/kfmb-tv

I don’t blame them.

I'm a Cox subscriber and this is the first time I've punched in "13" on the remote. I know I'm behind, but it looks like MNTV has left "13" (49) and gon to...not even a subchannel of 8 but just a latenight block of programming on 8.1. Or something.

Can't say I've ever bothered with that network. Not sure I can name a single show.

I'm a Cox subscriber and this is the first time I've punched in "13" on the remote. I know I'm behind, but it looks like MNTV has left "13" (49) and gon to...not even a subchannel of 8 but just a latenight block of programming on 8.1. Or something.

Can't say I've ever bothered with that network. Not sure I can name a single show.

XHDTV is listed now as carrying...Milenio Televisión?

Very strange business going on here... I half wonder if Multimedios might actually want to buy the station at some point.

XHDTV is listed now as carrying...Milenio Televisión?

Very strange business going on here... I half wonder if Multimedios might actually want to buy the station at some point.

Strange indeed...

Right now they are running a live ministry of defense conference.

Strange indeed...

Right now they are running a live ministry of defense conference.

it looks like an all news channel....or the Mexican version of C-SPAN

That's what it is! Milenio is a national circulation newspaper owned by Grupo Multimedios. Milenio TV is a subchannel of all the Multimedios stations and a cable staple. It's also apparently among the best of the bunch (no really, in some areas there are four all-news channels available OTA).

The Mexican C-SPAN is Canal del Congreso, which is mandatory carriage on all cable systems and also has limited broadcast coverage including its own transmitter in Mexico City.

And this probably marks the end for (clueless) Jennifer Markham up in the Chopper, and most likely the Chopper itself. Unless they get a whole new crew and just fly around with no audio/reporter in there.

Chopper is usually owned/operated by a third party with one station paying for a package that includes a traffic reporter. Might open the door for another station to use Jen.

Speaking of weather, KFMB still does not have a primary Meteorologist after Matt Baylow's retirement in June. Shawn Styles has been doing the weather at 5, 6:30, 7, 10, & 11 for 6 days a week. Brandon Lewis has been filling in on Saturdays.

[QUOTE="Eat News, post: 220217, member: 2985"]OK... What law? (not doubting you @NotInTV) Do ya think KFMB could have wasted another 8 seconds to explain why there is a law?[/QUOTE] Blame a few incidents, including a dumb one in Kentucky where some sportswear mall shop in Bowling Green had an 'emergency clearout sale' of Wildcats gear that somehow, WNKY's ad production department said using EAS tones are OK (the FCC asking them for a 'voluntary contribution to the United States Treasury' overruled that). Then there's been a few issues where 'for fun' EAS tones have collapsed entire cable/U-verse headends into chaose. [url=https://www.broadcastlawblog.com/2015/01/articles/more-big-penalties-for-use-of-eas-tones-in-non-emergency-programming/]This has details about some of those incidents[/url], details about [url=https://www.wileyonmedia.com/2013/11/caution-from-fcc-simulation-of-emergency-alert-system-eas-tones-can-lead-to-big-fcc-fines/]the WNKY incident[/url], and [url=https://www.fcc.gov/document/enforcement-advisory-misuse-eas-signals-or-tones-prohibited]from the FCC itself[/url]; technically it isn't illegal to just play the EAS tones for the fun of it, but the FCC will put the incident in your station's permanent record and ask for 'voluntary contributions' if you do so.

Blame a few incidents, including a dumb one in Kentucky where some sportswear mall shop in Bowling Green had an 'emergency clearout sale' of Wildcats gear that somehow, WNKY's ad production department said using EAS tones are OK (the FCC asking them for a 'voluntary contribution to the United States Treasury' overruled that). Then there's been a few issues where 'for fun' EAS tones have collapsed entire cable/U-verse headends into chaose. This has details about some of those incidents, details about the WNKY incident, and from the FCC itself; technically it isn't illegal to just play the EAS tones for the fun of it, but the FCC will put the incident in your station's permanent record and ask for 'voluntary contributions' if you do so.

It’s anything similar on almost any broadcast and I believe cable channels for fear of it getting picked up. Like the Purge movies commercials don’t broadcast any of the squelches or fake sounds.

Edit: The incident I’m thinking of was actually a fine given to Viacom, ESPN and movie studio NBCUniversal were fined for airing a similar tone on cable for the movie Olympus has fallen. Appears it applies to cable channels as well for fear of crying wolf. TBS was also fined $25,000 for a mock tone in a Conan promo. Based on this I’d assume that premium movie channels would have to change the tone.

• 2 weeks later...

Additionally, the job postings for an anchor and a meteorologist are no longer up, which makes me think the positions are now filled. Is it possible that they're using the 7PM slot to let the new people practice? Or do you think they're just saving money?

Archived