KFMB Slow Death Thread

Eat News

And what the hell does KFMB morning "reporter" Ashley Jacobs think of her new competition in the cutesy sand box?

Time for Ms. Jacobs to upgrade her phone!

Who's holding the bigger iPhone, and who will bring the iPad soon? The bigger, the better!

2C21537600000578-0-image-a-52_1441851874058.jpg.f778da9d720991bfc07cc0eba37dcb96.jpg

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Time for Ms. Jacobs to upgrade her phone!

Who's holding the bigger iPhone, and who will bring the iPad soon? The bigger, the better!

[ATTACH=full]6572[/ATTACH]

You are so bad.

Seriously...

This will be epic.

JMilk is the first high profile all Tegna hire since the sale.

The Lil Teapot meets JMilk.

Hold on to your wigs.

That desk graphic looks horrendous!

It looks even worse in HD where you can see dead pixels and strange lines going up and down the monitor. The old desk graphics didn't make the issues as obvious.

desk.png

Time for a new set! (This one is over 4 years old, and that was just a refresh.)

Look at the graphics we have now... don't encourage them with ideas, that's the last thing we need.

Yeah No lie..

I would much rather have better news coverage...than a new expensive set that will look like all the other crappy Tegna sets.

Sets in CA last 20 years due to the nice weather.

Let's have solid coverage first.

I remember when KFMB was the premiere news station of visual presentation, they had the best looking set in San Diego back in the day (the late 90’ one and Local 8 one could still hold up if they kept it I would say) and the graphics and brand look was visually appealing. It’s a pity that standardization can make a once good looking station look bland and boring, the new music is very weak and their current set looks out of place with the new graphics.

It looks even worse in HD where you can see dead pixels and strange lines going up and down the monitor. The old desk graphics didn't make the issues as obvious.

desk.png

Time for a new set! (This one is over 4 years old, and that was just a refresh.)

Or at least replace the duratrans so they match the graphics. That's what's bothering me right now...

They're probably not going to touch anything on the set, until they get a new one. I seem to recall Carlo hinting at a new set in the near future a couple of months back during one of his Facebook Live.

Not yet.. But that brings up some good points:

• Will they combine CBS8.com and TheCWSanDiego.com like KING/KONG, KUSA/KTVD, KBNT/KJAC, KREM/KSKN or WWL/WUPL? My guess is yes, as I could not find any Tegna duopolies that had separate websites.

• If so, will they use CBS8.com, KFMB.com, or News8SD.com? Heck, news8.com is for sale if they want to shell out the cash.

KTVD still has it's own website, it hasn't been updated in a long time, but interestingly enough they ran a promo for the 9pm news (sept 22 or 23) & it had on the bottom right side of the screen 9NEWS.COM & My20Denver.com in very small text.

KFMB’s livestream is faulty now. It cuts to black after a few seconds and the page keeps refreshing.

I've been having issues with it too. It never was really that good. The start times seem random, and the audio was always super glitchy. Hopefully they fix it.

I've been having issues with it too. It never was really that good. The start times seem random, and the audio was always super glitchy. Hopefully they fix it.

Are they playing the Tegna music now during commercial breaks with b-roll shots of San Diego saying “we’ll be right back.”

That was the best part hearing different cuts of the KFMB 2013 theme during commercial breaks.

Are they playing the Tegna music now during commercial breaks with b-roll shots of San Diego saying “we’ll be right back.”

That was the best part hearing different cuts of the KFMB 2013 theme during commercial breaks.

No, they don't cut at commercial breaks. They stream the commercials that are on the air.

Also, the stream switches from CW to CBS at 10:40PM, right in the middle of the 10PM newscast. It then streams whatever show is playing on CBS until the 11PM newscast. I'm sure CBS would not be to happy about that, but it's been that way for months.

More proof KFMB-TV is slowly being eaten by banana slugs... Steve Price did an 11am live shot about the FEMA EAS test He said they (KFMB) would NOT be playing the sounds the phones made because of "copyright issues". corrected to "Legal" issues by @NotInTV WTF? It's a national test...fair use...SMH Is Tegna somehow afraid that Apple or Samsung is going to sue over the broadcasting of the alert tones ? How will I know my phone is making the actual real EAS alert tones of you don't know what they sound like? Did other Tegna stations do this?

More proof KFMB-TV is slowly being eaten by banana slugs...

Steve Price did an 11am live shot about the FEMA EAS test

He said they (KFMB) would NOT be playing the sounds the phones made because of "copyright issues".

WTF?

It's a national test...fair use...SMH

Is Tegna somehow afraid that Apple or Samsung is going to sue over the broadcasting of the alert tones ?

How will I know my phone is making the actual real EAS alert tones of you don't know what they sound like?

Did other Tegna stations do this?

I heard him say "Legally we cannot play the noise over the air", not claim copyright issues. My guess is that there is a restriction on stations playing the noise when there is not an emergency, so that they're not confusing the viewers or tricking them into watching by playing the sound over and over. I believe that they were able to play it when it was issued as everybody's phones were getting it too.

[quote name='NotInTV']I heard him say "Legally we cannot play the noise over the air", not claim copyright issues. My guess is that there is a restriction on stations playing the noise when there is not an emergency, so that they're not confusing the viewers or tricking them into watching by playing the sound over and over. I believe that they were able to play it when it was issued as everybody's phones were getting it too.[/QUOTE] OK... What law? (not doubting you @NotInTV) Do ya think KFMB could have wasted another 8 seconds to explain why there is a law? Are roaming bands of troubled youth's (utes) broadcasting false EAS tones across the fruited plains? "Dont re-broadcast the tones...you will go blind!"

KFMB is officially dead! They now lie 6 feet under next to KGTV after the Scripps takeover

Question: I’m guessing the chopper is back up since KNSD shares with Chopper 8 posed as “SkyRanger 7” on that car chase the other night.

KFMB is officially dead! They now lie 6 feet under next to KGTV after the Scripps takeover

Question: I’m guessing the chopper is back up since KNSD shares with Chopper 8 posed as “SkyRanger 7” on that car chase the other night.

SkyRanger 7 ???

You're not joking are you?....Ok dumb question since you would never make this up.

If we include KNBC can we have an "Alfa Red SkyRanger."..and a "Bravo Blue SkyRanger"...and the Pink "Charlie SkyRanger?"

Does this week get any more weirder?

[QUOTE="Eat News, post: 220217, member: 2985"]OK... What law? (not doubting you @NotInTV) Do ya think KFMB could have wasted another 8 seconds to explain why there is a law? Are roaming bands of troubled youth's (utes) broadcasting false EAS tones across the fruited plains? "Dont re-broadcast the tones...you will go blind!"[/QUOTE] I’m not sure about the cell phone tone but the EAS tone can trigger other stations that monitors it could hear it and trigger their devices to go off. It’s what happened a while back at a radio show that was syndicated and aired a similar or edited tone that caused stations to go air their own alerts all over the south east. And yes it is illegal and enforceable by the FCC. However the tone for the phones don’t have any data encoded to it but the FCC could restrict it simply because if it’s played it may cause people to look, see nothing and next time they hear a real alert they ignore it.

I’m not sure about the cell phone tone but the EAS tone can trigger other stations that monitors it could hear it and trigger their devices to go off. It’s what happened a while back at a radio show that was syndicated and aired a similar or edited tone that caused stations to go air their own alerts all over the south east. And yes it is illegal and enforceable by the FCC. However the tone for the phones don’t have any data encoded to it but the FCC could restrict it simply because if it’s played it may cause people to look, see nothing and next time they hear a real alert they ignore it.

This happened in 2015 with iHeart's Bobby Bones Show. They played the EAS tones over the air and were fined a million bucks. Those tones trigger other devices so, yes, you can't just broadcast them willy nilly.

Do they still use their Downtown Skycam? I rarely tune in anymore, (now with the new changes I would need a barf bag) Anyways, here is a photo from today of their skycam setup on the Manchester Grand Hyatt Hotel.

DSC_0832.thumb.jpg.dd2c1af3c2f2da1547c04a2df4217528.jpg

Also drove by the Kearny Mesa studios, the station sign they had out front on Engineer Road is gone (not sure how long it has been taken down)? Other than that, another one of their live trucks is parked out back ready to see it's next chapter. Unit 8 is off the property now, their old satellite one.

DSC_0945.thumb.jpg.9218e14c1bb69dcaf299a6c4d653f2ab.jpg

This happened in 2015 with iHeart's Bobby Bones Show. They played the EAS tones over the air and were fined a million bucks. Those tones trigger other devices so, yes, you can't just broadcast them willy nilly.

If I recall correctly a lot of devices were locked up because no ending tone was played.

Archived