KFMB Slow Death Thread

Eat News

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 7PM CW show is just called "News 8 at 7". So far, each show is just called "News 8 at [x]". No mention of CBS or CW for either channel's open. No mention of being "San Diego's Breaking News Leader". Bill Ratner VO is gone. 5PM, 6:30PM, and 7PM all use the same image for their open.

I bet they use the GasLamp quarter sign for their 10P/11P shows. Something like this:

GaslampQuarter.jpg

Now if only they update their mic flags to a triangle with the updated logo would make better sense and positioning.

Their current cube one looks horrible and plain since they removed the eye and added News on top.

Looks like some sort of artificial bold style is activated on the supers. Also, I really don't get what they're trying to do with the branding. The lack of CBS anywhere in anyplace seems like a really odd decision, and the logo looks even stranger now with the toothpaste thing sticking out. Could someone also explain to me why KFMB simultaneously runs two (@CBS8 and @News8) Twitter handles?

It's amazing how KUSA is just able to pull things off better than so many other stations. They don't use any of the cuts with vocals except for the close, and they've phased out the "NXT" tease graphic for something a little more sensible. The cut of music they use for their opens would be a better fit for most of the other stations.

It's amazing how KUSA is just able to pull things off better than so many other stations.

That's because I would argue, outside of Next with Kyle Clark, they didn't really change. They didn't have to. They've been a dominant #1 station for years.

For all the hoopla TEGNA's made about trying to reinvent local news, they're not going to mess much with the formula that works at their top rated, consistently performing stations. If every station in the portfolio were #1, there's no way we'd have C Clarity right now.

You can also pull off things better, especially in KUSA's case, when you have the whole group's graphics department in the same building. See: WTVT.

That's because I would argue, outside of Next with Kyle Clark, they didn't really change. They didn't have to. They've been a dominant #1 station for years.

For all the hoopla TEGNA's made about trying to reinvent local news, they're not going to mess much with the formula that works at their top rated, consistently performing stations. If every station in the portfolio were #1, there's no way we'd have C Clarity right now.

You can also pull off things better, especially in KUSA's case, when you have the whole group's graphics department in the same building. See: WTVT.

This is why KUSA's open doesn't have any vocals.

Speaking of Gannettegna, the 2008 Gannett graphics turned 10 today. While I'm okay with the graphics, others are glad that KFMB did not use them.

I was mostly just talking about the graphics and music, but if we're talking about content, then have you watched any of KUSA's recent newscasts? They certainly feel different than from just a few years ago. They're not making as drastic changes as a lot of the other Tegna stations are, but it's noticeable.

They've fully leaned into the storytelling human interest thing that's become their signature. They don't do as much crime/fire news unless if it's a huge story. Photogs track their own packages fairly regularly. They tried dissolving sports away for a while, though that didn't work. I can see why they do training there because the standard of writing is really great.

I've also been watching their morning news more recently, and I'm a little surprised how much time they spend on stories. They seem to pretty consistently have an in-studio interview at 6:45, which is the most important time of the morning. Conventional wisdom (read: what the consultants will tell you) has always been to shove as many stories as you can into the morning.

KUSA is still #1, and there's still enough there that it feels like the same station that it's always been, but it's not anywhere close to being the traditional crowd pleaser newscast that it was 5-10 years ago.

It's due to KFMB also running news on its CW subchannel.

Yeah, that still doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Looks like some sort of artificial bold style is activated on the supers. Also, I really don't get what they're trying to do with the branding. The lack of CBS anywhere in anyplace seems like a really odd decision, and the logo looks even stranger now with the toothpaste thing sticking out. Could someone also explain to me why KFMB simultaneously runs two (@CBS8 and @News8) Twitter handles?

It's amazing how KUSA is just able to pull things off better than so many other stations. They don't use any of the cuts with vocals except for the close, and they've phased out the "NXT" tease graphic for something a little more sensible. The cut of music they use for their opens would be a better fit for most of the other stations.

Hate to go off topic, but am I the only one that absolutely LOVES KUSA's set? It's so warm and inviting, it's perfect for Denver. I think it's funny the best execution of on-air looks both graphics and set in the entire TEGNA fold comes from the USA stations, KUSA and WUSA and boy did WUSA need it...

Milkowski was solid in Chicago, and her firing was surprising, as she was the top social media personality in town. Granted, that isn't a profitable commodity for the station, but it gave a last place station on the rebound a certifiable star.

Milkowski was solid in Chicago, and her firing was surprising, as she was the top social media personality in town. Granted, that isn't a profitable commodity for the station, but it gave a last place station on the rebound a certifiable star.

Met her at the parade I helped WMAQ with, and she’s solid. Great for KFMB for landing her.

I understood she stepped down from Boston, you would think they would’ve offered her KNSD after Jodi’s departure if she wanted a transfer.

Unless she had turned down previous offers from KNSD, and KNSD was no longer interested in her.

KFMB has added Jenny Milkowski as their new morning traffic reporter. She previously worked as a traffic reporter at Fox-owned WFLD.

And this probably marks the end for (clueless) Jennifer Markham up in the Chopper, and most likely the Chopper itself. Unless they get a whole new crew and just fly around with no audio/reporter in there.

I have seen this movie before...

The new "it" girl blows into town promising to be perky, bubbly, spunky, ...part "reporter" but mostly facebook / instagram, internet personality.

I wish her all the luck and good wishes....but be advised the "smother you in social media" act does not really play well here because the area is flooded with "Internet/TV personalities"....AKA Instagram models.

I hope she brought a lot of polka music to get us all hooked on.

And what the hell does KFMB morning "reporter" Ashley Jacobs think of her new competition in the cutesy sand box?

Cue the catfights~!

"You got spunk...I hate spunk!"...

Lou Grant

Archived