KFMB Slow Death Thread

Eat News

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The KFMB folks seem to have abandoned any improvements until they're Tegnatized.

- They have stopped working on all non-news parts of the website, except changing the "Jobs" page to the Tegna jobs site

- The "News 8 Team" page is incomplete, and still had Dan Cohen listed as morning anchor weeks after his departure. (Until I emailed GM to fix it)

- The bottom of the website still says "© Copyright 2000 - 2018 Midwest Television, Inc.", several weeks after the ownership change was finalized.

- The 10PM newscast uses the "Backup" (Non-animated) lower third as they can't be bothered to program it for an hour newscast. They tried to have it in the beginning, until it crashed on every newscast. (Side note, their graphics software is awful and seems to crash daily)

- The live newscasts on the website are a nice addition, but for some reason they only have specific newscasts streaming, not all of them.

My thoughts:

- They're not doing any work until they receive new graphics and a new website, which is hopefully soon. (Although the KFMB domains still don't belong to corporate, the station still has control.)

- Their new "San Diego Living" segment is stolen from XETV (Like CW Affiliation), and is a 3 minute ad (vs. full show, albeit a long ad) with a former XETV fill-in anchor. If you watch it, you can see them trying to beat the clock

- The new "News 8 Morning Extra" set looks HORRIBLE. (Static & Generic Background, Ugly laptops, crappy TV for weather/stand up shots). Just stick with the main set, especially since the 10PM newscast uses it too. Very weird to have one newscast on a different set.

My questions for all of you:

1.) Based on your experience with corporate takeovers, how long do you think it'll take for the new graphics, and new website / app?

2.) Do you think that they'll build a new set? Theirs is getting older now, and is overshadowed by KSWB's beautiful (IMO) new set.

3.) Do you think that Tegna will want to separate the station's newscasts, or are we stuck with the wordy "News 8 on the CW San Diego" forever? It doesn't make much sense to viewers tuning into channel 6...

The KFMB folks seem to have abandoned any improvements until they're Tegnatized.

- They have stopped working on all non-news parts of the website, except changing the "Jobs" page to the Tegna jobs site

- The "News 8 Team" page is incomplete, and still had Dan Cohen listed as morning anchor weeks after his departure. (Until I emailed GM to fix it)

- The bottom of the website still says "© Copyright 2000 - 2018 Midwest Television, Inc.", several weeks after the ownership change was finalized.

- The 10PM newscast uses the "Backup" (Non-animated) lower third as they can't be bothered to program it for an hour newscast. They tried to have it in the beginning, until it crashed on every newscast. (Side note, their graphics software is awful and seems to crash daily)

- The live newscasts on the website are a nice addition, but for some reason they only have specific newscasts streaming, not all of them.

My thoughts:

- They're not doing any work until they receive new graphics and a new website, which is hopefully soon. (Although the KFMB domains still don't belong to corporate, the station still has control.)

- Their new "San Diego Living" segment is stolen from XETV (Like CW Affiliation), and is a 3 minute ad (vs. full show, albeit a long ad) with a former XETV fill-in anchor. If you watch it, you can see them trying to beat the clock

- The new "News 8 Morning Extra" set looks HORRIBLE. (Static & Generic Background, Ugly laptops, crappy TV for weather/stand up shots). Just stick with the main set, especially since the 10PM newscast uses it too. Very weird to have one newscast on a different set.

My questions for all of you:

1.) Based on your experience with corporate takeovers, how long do you think it'll take for the new graphics, and new website / app?

2.) Do you think that they'll build a new set? Theirs is getting older now, and is overshadowed by KSWB's beautiful (IMO) new set.

3.) Do you think that Tegna will want to separate the station's newscasts, or are we stuck with the wordy "News 8 on the CW San Diego" forever? It doesn't make much sense to viewers tuning into channel 6...

I wish they'd stick with one brand instead of using NEWS8/CBS News 8 interchangeably during the main newscasts.

At this point, Tegna should seriously have someone come out and do an assessment to see if they're better off constructing a new building, or heavily renovating the current building. That should be top priority. A new set can come afterwards.

I wish they'd stick with one brand instead of using NEWS8/CBS News 8 interchangeably during the main newscasts.

At this point, Tegna should seriously have someone come out and do an assessment to see if they better off constructing a new building, or heavily renovating the current building. That should be top priority. A new set can come afterwards.

...and there is a building just a few blocks away that could actually serve as a temporary set/ newsroom/ studio...that is just sitting empty...

Naw!!!

Too easy!

...and there is a building just a few blocks away that could actually serve as a temporary set/ newsroom/ studio...that is just sitting empty...

Naw!!!

Too easy!

It's actually even easier than that. They have an enitre second studio that just sits there. It has the crappy temp set they used when they originally refreshed their current set. It's used for Radio public events, and acrobatic cats.

All they need to do is cough up the cash to build a CW set there, and they can maintain an entirely different brand, even if they have anchors/reporters walking across the hall.

12114056_G.jpg.de9124e8f9e6b9287504026a3f1b78a7.jpg

12216753_G.jpg.ef82fc7afc4c08abc1e843d2d8bd6989.jpg

16232432_G.thumb.jpg.fa495da0fbd9fce14f2f21617f4e737e.jpg

16232444_G.thumb.jpg.738b557805e678853809537485134dee.jpg

Naw!!!

Too easy!

It's actually even easier than that. They have an enitre second studio that just sits there. It has the crappy temp set they used when they originally refreshed their current set. It's used for Radio public events, and acrobatic cats.

All they need to do is cough up the cash to build a CW set there, and they can maintain an entirely different brand, even if they have anchors/reporters walking across the hall.

I think Eat is reffering to the fact that they could theoretically use the old XETV studios temporarily should Tegna decide to tear down KFMB's building and build a new one.

Also, pretty interesting that they're advertising for a traffic reporter position. Wonder if they're doing away with Chopper 8?

Well start saving up those duckets because even if they had the cash today...it would take at least a year or even two years to secure plans and permits just to rewire that 2nd studio to make it a "real set".

That studio needs robotics, wiring hc/vac reworks, code improvements, earthquake improvements etc. it's a storage room pretty much.

Once you start hacking at that building (circa 1975) you kick-off a whole slew of building related nightmares and permits.

The XETV studios and Newsroom are less than 20 years old and MEET or EXCEED all local regs and state regs.

A short fiber or microhop 1/2 mile max...

Plug and play baby!

Does Televisa still own the building, or was it sold to the car dealership?

The KBEX-TV promo and traffic dept twins report as of last week the building was mothballed. The sat dishes remain on the roof, the microwave tower is still in place but the dishes have been removed. Generators still in place. ..landscapers on-site doing maintenance...CW signs still in place.. no city planning signage or other pending permit application signage. I don't have any indication that the property has changed hands from the previous ownership...but I also have not searched to see if it's even on the market or for sale. Some permits were issued to FOX News BP. in 2017 to update the antennas on the T-mobile cell site.

Didn't know about that cell site...when did they slip that in?

BTW...

The news set was NOT listed on the auction...it just may still be in place.

The KBEX-TV promo and traffic dept twins report as of last week the building was mothballed. The sat dishes remain on the roof, the microwave tower is still in place but the dishes have been removed. Generators still in place. ..landscapers on-site doing maintenance...CW signs still in place.. no city planning signage or other pending permit application signage. I don't have any indication that the property has changed hands from the previous ownership...but I also have not searched to see if it's even on the market or for sale. Some permits were issued to FOX News BP. in 2017 to update the antennas on the T-mobile cell site.

Didn't know about that cell site...when did they slip that in?

BTW...

The news set was NOT listed on the auction...it just may still be in place.

I think it would be fun if KFMB ended up in that building.. It's also fun to think how confused viewers would be if they started using the XETV set.

Coming this fall: "Live from the former CW6 studio, this is News 8 on the CW San Diego"

KFMB could quickly refresh their set by swapping out the three stand up displays with a large video wall, and swapping out the blue CBS backgrounds with a different design behind the anchor desk.

Looks like they didn’t have a morning show?

Yeah that too.:p

Speaking of The CW, do we know when the next retrans spat comes up for Dish? Seems like Tegna may try to “persuade” Dish to finally carry 8.2 on its system.

• 1 month later...

KFMB/Tegna appears to have enabled WHOIS privacy on their KFMB.TV domain (They did on 03/05/2018). I have checked a few Tegna stations, and they all have WHOIS privacy enabled. Yet, they have not done that for any of the other domains, including CBS8.com. That leads me down three trains of thought:

1. They're going to rebrand as KFMB, dropping the (CBS) News 8 brand (Matching other Tegna stations using their call letters). Also, doing so would tie in the Radio stations as they both use some variant of KFMB. (AM 760 KFMB, 100.7 KFM-BFM). The rebrand would also help eliminate the channel number in the name, as 8.2 (CW) is on channel 6 on cable providers. Very confusing to have News8 on Channel 6. If I'm right, somebody owes me a beer.

or

2. They just started updating the registration for the sites, and will finish updating them at some point

or

3. It means nothing

Here's the link to the WHOIS record: https://www.godaddy.com/whois/results.aspx?domain=kfmb.tv

KFMB/Tegna appears to have enabled WHOIS privacy on their KFMB.TV domain (They did on 03/05/2018). I have checked a few Tegna stations, and they all have WHOIS privacy enabled. Yet, they have not done that for any of the other domains, including CBS8.com. That leads me down three trains of thought:

1. They're going to rebrand as KFMB, dropping the (CBS) News 8 brand (Matching other Tegna stations using their call letters). Also, doing so would tie in the Radio stations as they both use some variant of KFMB. (AM 760 KFMB, 100.7 KFM-BFM). The rebrand would also help eliminate the channel number in the name, as 8.2 (CW) is on channel 6 on cable providers. Very confusing to have News8 on Channel 6. If I'm right, somebody owes me a beer.

or

2. They just started updating the registration for the sites, and will finish updating them at some point

or

3. It means nothing

Here's the link to the WHOIS record: https://www.godaddy.com/whois/results.aspx?domain=kfmb.tv

Or maybe it's both?

#1 makes total sense...keep it simple. Go organic...respect the call letters since they are local legacy.

So far there have been no noticeable on air changes.

I'm trying to warm-up to the new on-air folks before I start chewing them apart ...I will give them a chance.

Rick Thomas has that XETV 6 'ole spot on his youtube .

Archived