Report: Charter launching new Spectrum News channels

NewsMaster

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There’s already Spectrum News in Kentucky, converted from the former cn|2.

I agree... 24-hour news channel in LA is very long overdue, considering that the OTA LA market receives news on weekdays from 4:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. and then from 3:00-11:35 p.m. + weekends from 5:00-11:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.-12:00 a.m.

It sort of makes sense here; now that Spectrum covers nearly the entire state of Wisconsin, there is plenty of news they can cover, assuming they have a state-wide focus.

I wonder if it'll take the place of at least one of the Spectrum Sports channels, or if it is in addition. (Wisconsin has two Spectrum Sports; one for the Milwaukee market, and another for the Green Bay/NE Wisconsin market. They carry the same studio programming, but different high school sports.)

It sort of makes sense here; now that Spectrum covers nearly the entire state of Wisconsin, there is plenty of news they can cover, assuming they have a state-wide focus.

I wonder if it'll take the place of at least one of the Spectrum Sports channels, or if it is in addition. (Wisconsin has two Spectrum Sports; one for the Milwaukee market, and another for the Green Bay/NE Wisconsin market. They carry the same studio programming, but different high school sports.)

They’ll probably merge those two sports channels into one news channel. Most (if not all) Spectrum Sports channels have been shutting down, either entirely or converting them into news channels.

Indeed. There are high-speed chases and structure fires somewhere in the Southland at all hours.

It would be kinda funny if they just named the LA channel "Chase" and only showed live chases, repeats of recent chases, "best of" archive footage from the wildest ones...

Actually, why hasn't someone thought of that as a national diginet?

Only half joking there.

Yes, I'm glad the LA market will get a news service that can finally fill the 10:30am half hour and 2pm hour that wasn't served the the 5 other outlets in town (across 7 stations). :rolleyes:

The 10:30 a.m. half-hour in LA is already filled. Its called the KTLA Morning News.

It would be kinda funny if they just named the LA channel "Chase" and only showed live chases, repeats of recent chases, "best of" archive footage from the wildest ones...

Actually, why hasn't someone thought of that as a national diginet?

Only half joking there.

If they actually aired near non-stop chases here in Los Angeles, they'd be a big hit. Repeat chases don't work. We like it live.

Interesting, Ohio to get a 24-Hour News Channel again this time via Spectrum. If they don't do it on the cheap like Dispatch did with ONN did back in the day... this might work.

Also can't say I'm surprised either They have been airing a Sunday Morning Politics show on Spectrum Sports with former ONN'er Anchor Mike Kallmeyer here in Ohio.

TWC actually had a Milwaukee news channel planned once upon a time, but for some reason dumped it around the time WVTV experimented with News Central, saying the market was 'over-newsed' (they were definitely right around that time, before WDJT got the Sony game shows). They definitely have the room in their Milwaukee facility at the end of the old Park Freeway, so it shouldn't take too much effort to launch.

Of note; Charter still hasn't added Spectrum Sports WI to the legacy Charter systems. I bet most of the sports programming will move to this new channel. One complication might be channel location; probably channel 2 throughout the state (the Green Bay cluster carries WBAY on 3 due to past co-channel interference, though FdL and Sheboygan on Charter legacy do have them on 2; Charter still sells finding VOD 'on channel 1' for casual viewers to get to the VOD menu, so that's not as available), which would finally end the pain of WTMJ being on 2 in Milwaukee because of Journal's 2013 carriage bungling.

If Spectrum LA want to get off the ground they’ll need a Chopper. I don’t see a dedicated news channel in LA not being able to cover police chases.

But I don’t see them leasing one for the number of hours needed. They’d have to share with another station.

If Spectrum LA want to get off the ground they’ll need a Chopper. I don’t see a dedicated news channel in LA not being able to cover police chases.

But I don’t see them leasing one for the number of hours needed. They’d have to share with another station.

KNBC?

If not, KTLA would be more realistic.

Interesting, Ohio to get a 24-Hour News Channel again this time via Spectrum. If they don't do it on the cheap like Dispatch did with ONN did back in the day... this might work.

Also can't say I'm surprised either They have been airing a Sunday Morning Politics show on Spectrum Sports with former ONN'er Anchor Mike Kallmeyer here in Ohio.

ONN left a big void here in Ohio. They did great election coverage with WBNS, they'd simulcast the gubernatorial debates moderated by WBNS anchor Dave Kaylor and later Jim Heath.

I agree... 24-hour news channel in LA is very long overdue, considering that the OTA LA market receives news on weekdays from 4:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. and then from 3:00-11:35 p.m.

Seriously? All that daytime news coverage from multiple stations and they still have an hour uncovered? ;)

When are we getting Spectrum News Dallas/Fort Worth? Somebody needs to fill the void TXCN left behind. Plus, Austin and San Antonio have Spectrum News channels as well.

D/FW needs a 24 Hour news channel, and so does Houston. You're right, somebody needs to fill the void TXCN, and News 24 Houston left behind.

D/FW needs a 24 Hour news channel, and so does Houston. You're right, somebody needs to fill the void TXCN, and News 24 Houston left behind.

There was News 24 Houston and News 9 San Antonio. San Antonio got theirs back but Houston is still waiting for a return.

Archived