KNBC NewsChopper 4

FiveNews

Watching the 4pm news now. I know KNBC has two choppers. They tossed to breaking news with a full screen graphic with animation that said "NewsChopper 4- Alpha." Anyone know what their secondary chopper is called. I know back in the day when KTTV had two choppers they were simply dubbed SkyFox1 and SkyFox 2.

The airships ID to the assignment desk (161.760mhz) as "KNBC-One" and "KNBC-Two". Those call signs are for the desk to keep them separate.

I have no Idea if they call them something different on air.

They referred to it News Chopper 4 Alpha. I imagine when the second ones up it will be News a Chopper 4 Bravo. Probably some consultant said “Lets differentiate the airships with something dramatic. Oh I know how about we use the phonetic alphabet like the military?”

They referred to it News Chopper 4 Alpha. I imagine when the second ones up it will be News a Chopper 4 Bravo. Probably some consultant said “Lets differentiate the airships with something dramatic. Oh I know how about we use the phonetic alphabet like the military?”

'KNBC-Red' and "KNBC Blue' what was so difficult about that?

Soooo retro.

Yup, they refer to the second one as News Chopper 4 Bravo on air. News Chopper 4 Bravo appears next to their live bug. Curiously when they have a two box it is written “News Chopper 4 (Bravo)” - why it’s in parenthesis puzzles me. I don’t think the aerial photojournalists (that’s their title right?) tagged out with Alpha or Bravo.

But I totally understand why they are naming them separately. Previously you wouldn’t know which was which or if they were pulling some sort trick by saying they have two helicopters. Now it brings some clarity to the situation.

I assume which ever airship is used on air first is “Alpha”.

'KNBC-Red' and "KNBC Blue' what was so difficult about that?

Soooo retro.

Very. But how many aside from senior citizens and anoraks like us would get the reference. Of course KNBC Red could cover the right side of the the DMA and KNBC Blue would cover the left.

How stupid and moronic. It’s dumb gimmicky things like this that lead to more and more people not taking local news seriously. They are more caught up in giving nonsense names to news helicopters and snow storms than to actually giving viewers the news.

Here’s a novel idea: how about Chopper4... for both of them? And if you’re using both of them in the same segment, just have the talent say “we’re tossing over to our other chopper now...” and go on and deliver the news.

You youngsters need to remember your broadcast history and pass it on to the children.

Try not to have a senior moment...and don't break a hip RKO..

[ATTACH=full]5335[/ATTACH]

I’ll try not to - I’ve already broken my back twice and consequently my hips are always killing me (side effect of four back surgeries).

How stupid and moronic. It’s dumb gimmicky things like this that lead to more and more people not taking local news seriously. They are more caught up in giving nonsense names to news helicopters and snow storms than to actually giving viewers the news.

Here’s a novel idea: how about Chopper4... for both of them? And if you’re using both of them in the same segment, just have the talent say “we’re tossing over to our other chopper now...” and go on and deliver the news.

What’s worse News Chopper 4 Alpha / Bravo, Sky Ranger, Sky Force, SkyEye, SkyTeam or WBOC’s News Chomper (complete with shark teeth graphics*)?

Most things in news are gimmicks - helicopter names, radar wars, graphics, weather branding, augmented reality is neat but what does it add to a story, and the news format itself (Action News being fast quick paced stories and Eyewitness News with focus on video/visuals).

Since it’s Hollywood there’s always going to be a flair for drama.

* On my families sailboat my father actually spray painted shark teeth on the bow below the water line when he last repainted it.

I’ll try not to - I’ve already broken my back twice and consequently my hips are always killing me (side effect of four back surgeries).

What’s worse News Chopper 4 Alpha / Bravo, Sky Ranger, Sky Force, SkyEye, SkyTeam or WBOC’s News Chomper (complete with shark teeth graphics*)?

Most things in news are gimmicks - helicopter names, radar wars, graphics, weather branding, augmented reality is neat but what does it add to a story, and the news format itself (Action News being fast quick paced stories and Eyewitness News with focus on video/visuals).

Since it’s Hollywood there’s always going to be a flair for drama.

* On my families sailboat my father actually spray painted shark teeth on the bow below the water line when he last repainted it.

I love the whole SkyRanger idea. Good name.

Anyways, as we were covering the lunar eclipse we had Alpha cover Traffic and Bravo covering the moon.

[MEDIA=imgur]a/mEsiR[/MEDIA]

Archived